Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Why does V60P (PTT) have such poor battery life?

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by LanceK, Oct 16, 2003.

1. LanceK

LanceK New Member

Can anybody explain why the V60p from Verizon has such bad battery?

I assumed that because it doesn't have a color screen it would be decent. I called Verizon and was told it's the PTT feature that causes this. It doesn't make sense since all the people I know who have Nextel tell me their battery life is much better.

TIA

2. kranium007

kranium007 Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    The Network
    I believe its due to the setting of the slot cycle for the phone. its always looking for a signal so it does not miss the ptt calls which causes it to use more energy. thats just the way the system is set up for that service since it is running ptt on the 1x network. your best bet is to get an extra battery for the phone.

3. jones

jones Silver Senior Member

CDMA phones = Less Battery Life, Looses Battery life when turned off for a Long time. Looses Battery Life after aweek when turned off.

GSM Phones = Long Battery Life, Does not loose battery life when turned off. (I had one charged 6 months ago and still has Battery charge when turned on).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. kranium007

kranium007 Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    The Network
    i never heard of such a thing. i have left batteries sit for months and they never went dead.

5. GoodmanR

GoodmanR Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Moto v3 Razr
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular (Voice) + T-Mobile (Blackberry)
    Thats absolutely wrong. The batteries on the phones are the same, lithium ion (although some li polymer). There is no difference in the batteries. So when the phone is not on, the battery life of a GSM phone cannot possibly be different. When powered on, GSM phones are more energy efficient.

As for the v60p, the phone is constantly in "search" mode, so its like always power cycling your phone every 20 seconds. THats why.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. jones

No Bull.

You can try it yourself. Get a GSM phone and A CDMA phone and charge them up; My GSM Samsung and Ericsson has a charge up to now.

7. GoodmanR

My Phone:
    Moto v3 Razr
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Your right, GSM phones get better battery life. But the batteries are the same material, saying that the GSM battery holds charge when the phone is off better than a CDMA phoen is just completely wrong and baseless.

Not to mention, Li-Ion batteries hold their charge forever. I have an old Sprint phone, a qualcomm, hasnt been charged in at least two years, still powers on fine.

8. jones

My Kyocera can only hold a charge for at the most is 2 weeks, sometimes 5 days and sometimes no more battery after being turned back on .

9. orioles150

orioles150 Senior Member

My Phone:
    e815
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    It might be a bad battery, an old battery. I mean batteries do wear down over time; but the actual technology used for different phones is pretty much standard. like goodman said the v60p gets horrible battery life because it keeps checking with Verizons system updating its status on the server. And this uses a lot more battery life than a normal phone that does not have to go through this process.

10. GoodmanR

My Phone:
    Moto v3 Razr
    Wireless Provider(s):
    The cells in the battery have gone bad. Just about every battery is Li-Ion. For example, a T720 CDMA battery, is exactly the same as a T721 GSM battery, no difference, same cells, same technology, same ability to hold charge.

The issue with the v60p, like I said, is its continuous network connection. Thats an easy way to understand it, if you want to be more technicaly correct, the push to talk service on verizon is over the 1xrtt network, so basically, packet data must be active at all times...

11. Stupiud

Stupiud Yea, I can hear you now!

My Phone:
    D2
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    i dont care if GSM does or dosent have battery life. I just want teh darn phone to be able to get and hold a signal. if i have a full battery, and no signal it's just as useless as a full signal and no battery.. but then again new batteries are cheaper then new phone. [​IMG]

12. jones

Batteries are as important as coverage.
    You're right. Cannot use your phone even you're next to a tower if your phone has a dead battery.

13. orioles150

orioles150 Senior Member

My Phone:
    e815
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    if ur phone doesnt have signal somewhere...it will never have signal there...where as if ur battery is dead where u have signal, you can either have a backup battery or the next day when you are there you will be able to use the phone in that spot. coverage is MUCH more important than a battery

14. Stupiud

My Phone:
    D2
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    exactly. i think jones missed that point. [​IMG]

this debate can go on forever. GSM is a good idea, it just has yet to prove itself as more a solid service rather then yet another consumer product.

15. jones

I have nothing against CDMA.
    CDMA has to win in it's Home turf so it can prove itself abroad.
    My only resentment are that phones both GSM and CDMA are manufactured abroad where American jobs are lost.

16. GoodmanR

My Phone:
    Moto v3 Razr
    Wireless Provider(s):
    give me a break about phone manufacturing jobs being lost

17. jones

sure
    what phones are made in the USA?

18. GoodmanR

My Phone:
    Moto v3 Razr
    Wireless Provider(s):
    none! because its cheaper to make them elsewhere. my point is, what the problem with that. other countries are better not only at designing phones and manufacturing them.

the nature of the american economy is not manufacturing, or at least its shifting away from manufacturing. i just see no point in crying over phones being made somewhere else.

19. jones

So you're saying America exports all it's Manufacturing jobs to countries like China or Korea so they can send these products back to the USA?
    Don't you think America will loose its Technological Superiority if they keep on doing this? Like China is now sending manned space flight or Lexus is now better than a Cadillac?

20. WirelessBeachBum

WirelessBeachBum Soylent Green is People

My Phone:
    Thunderbolt...still
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW
    V60p battery life has significantly improved over the last few weeks, the phones only register with the PTT server (presence icon) every 15 minutes instead of every 5, and their were some cell sites that were causing a constant data connection due to improper settings, that has also been fixed...Motorola is also releasing a new software version for the v60 which will decreas latency by about 1.5 seconds on the initial call set-up.

21. GoodmanR

My Phone:
    Moto v3 Razr
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Technical superiority is not manufacturing the products, but developing the technology. Qualcomm and San Diego are the center of CDMA research, regardless of where phones are produced. The technology used in the v60p, including 1xrtt packet data, was all developed there, and uses chipsets developed by American companies.

Its simply more efficient. Take an economics course covering free trade and you may better understand this.

Bum, I didnt know that about the technical issues at sites. That sounds liek good news. Do you know what the standby time will now be rated at? Also the 1.5 off setup time would be amazing as well.

22. Stupiud

My Phone:
    D2
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Aggree. Being able to manufature something dosent mean you know how it works. I can put together a computer, but that dosent mean i know how to design the chips.

23. MrFlashport

MrFlashport Junior Member

My Phone:
    Sanyo RL2000 Sprint PCS
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint PCS, Southern LINC

Hey Jones: GROW UP. American companies sold us out, like GM moving their manufacturing plants to Canada, Mexico, and China. See the movie "Roger and Me" for the full story on this. Same thing with companies like Motorola, which I own stock in, they make their phones in China, Mexico and Malaysia. Their two-way division makes most of their boards in Malaysia, Israel and China then they are shipped to Fort Lauderdale (Plantation Point) for final assembly. Why? Because you think a V60 is expensive now? If it were 100 percent US made, it would cost more than you would want to pay, because the corporate american scum that rob their employees' have to give themself 100 million dollar bonuses before firing everyone and filing chapter 11 (see Enron, Worldcomm, etc). Grow up with this redneck "buy American the job you save may be your own" propaganda. The minute corporate america steps up and accepts responsibility for itself and takes care of the hardworking people that make it what it is, then I will start "buying American" again. Until then, I will GLADLY buy a Toyota (which at least is assembled in Ky by americans who aren't screwed over a the Georgetown plant like GM SCREWS over their people at the Doraville plant here) and will GLADLY buy a Sony, Panasonic or JVC product anyday. So save the propaganda for another site or some redneck talk show like Rush "dope me up" Limbaugh or Neil Boortz.

sorry, off soapbox, but this really got to me.

Onto the question, the V60p constantly "afflilates" (or talks to the network) and transmitting draws almost 5 times (depending on power step) as RX so therefore the battery last much less than a unit that is transmitting much less. I think Verizon (at least here in atlanta) was offering a free coupon towards another spare battery if you bought one and signed a 2 year contract.

24. GoodmanR

My Phone:
    Moto v3 Razr
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Thank You Flashport! I agree 100%

25. jones

26. GoodmanR

My Phone:
    Moto v3 Razr
    Wireless Provider(s):
    im not saying jobs havent been lost. im saying that if they have, its for the sake of efficiency, and that is what we should strive for

27. DeathRider

DeathRider Member

My Phone:
    LG Dare
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    MrFlashport, as far as Rush, I'm sure if you had back pain like he does, you'd be "doped" up if you had the resources...

Yes, i do think the few bad apples spoiled the barrel, but since most o corporate america is based on small businesses...

Corporate America has been selling out for over 30 years, so what's going on now is nothig new. Don't forget AMF, who designed the VCR, then sold it to the Japanese because they didn't think there would be a use for it...