Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

why does alltel " do this "

Discussion in 'Alltel Forum' started by Harold938, Feb 8, 2007.

1. KyleAndMelissa22

KyleAndMelissa22 Woot Woot, Splat !!!

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    LG Lucid 3 / G4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless (SID 299, NID 173)
    I don't know what to believe....:confused: ....j/k :D .

I'd just stay cautious. i only use a roaming signal (vzw) on some important calls, otherwise, just Alltel.

I try to go with the strongest signal in those situations, even if its roaming...but i guess i'll just limit myself....I switch to roam manually through NAM1 & NAM2 settings.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. strunke

strunke .:|Always Covered|:.

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8230, KRZR K1m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel, T-Mobile, Sprint, Centennial
    You will be okay. It is only when someone uses roaming towers for 100 percent of their minutes for like 6 months straight before Alltel will even look at it. The normal user doesn't need to worry about it at all. That is why Alltel is lax about it. They will also only cancel a single line. If you have two on one account and the other is not roaming a lot then only the "offending" line will be terminated.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. KyleAndMelissa22

My Phone:
    LG Lucid 3 / G4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Is there like an amount you can pay in order to get absolute free roaming with no restriction & worries?

What about Total Freedom instead of Nat'l freedom?

How much would that be b/c i didn't see it on Alltels website

4. gruss

gruss Member

My Phone:
    V3M
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    I've heard Alltel has been advertising not just on cable where we see lots of commercials for things we can't buy but also billboards and local channels where they offer no service...I think it may have something to do with some changes coming down, possible mergers and keeping alltel name? Need to get it out there now!

5. budone

budone Junior Member

My Phone:
    E815
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    I did see an Alltel commercial during the Sprint/NEXTEL Daytona 500. This is the first Alltel commercial done nationally during a race on the Major networks during a race. (local commercials yes, nationally, this is the first)

In addition, I read on another board that there is an Alltel BB in Indy. Which considering they do not offer service there, is a bit unusual.

And my take on this is, The NASCAR contract only allows one name change in the 10 year contract that NEXTEL has it. Since it has not been changed in the two years since Sprint took over, I think (just my gut) that Alltel and Sprint/NEXTEL will be partnering.

It would give Sprint access to a much larger area of the rural country for their Push To talk feature if they partner with Alltel. Such as the UP of MI where service is not even offered or is being planned. Or any rural area.

6. ta206

ta206 Junior Member

My Phone:
    E815
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    I sure hope your are wrong. I've had to deal with Sprint/Nextel for the company accounts before and they are a nightmare. The only good thing that could come from that pairing would be Sprint/Nextel could learn a lesson or two on customer service.
    I would be driving straight to the Verizon store quick if Nextel announced they were buying out Alltel.:eek:

7. Fire14

Fire14 Easy,Cheap & Sleazy

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I have seen the Alltel commercials during the races last year, and since I am not in an Alltel area, it must have been a national commercial.

As for them changing the name to the Sprint Cup, they were contiplating doing it for this years race, but I believe since it's still fairly new they wanted to wait till 08 or 09 to change it.

I still haven't heard if they are going to allow Jeff Burton to change the cars name from Cingular to AT&T, the last I heard was "No". But when he was leading at CA the in car camera, they put & said the "Cingular is now the new AT&T".
    I guess if Alltel sells to another carrier other then Sprint, they won't be able to change Ryan's cars sponsor name either.

As has been mentioned in other threads, I and some others would not like to see any of the 4 National carriers grab Alltel & would prefer to see something happen where the buyer can make them a National carrier, either thru the 700 Mhz auction or another regional carrier to give them more presence in larger cities.

8. gruss

gruss Member

My Phone:
    V3M
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    I'll be right behind you unless its Alltel taking over with some help :cool:
    Alltel planning on somehting would explain the gaping evdo hole I live in when its all around me. what i fear is a merger in what appears alltel's in charge but its just sprint using their name cause sprint= garbage to most

budone: that was prolly me dude, but if its not true I have no idea why my bud would call me up and say "hey do you have alltel? why the <heck> do they have BB's up around here?"

#68 gruss, Mar 3, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2007
  9. dolphin_crazed

dolphin_crazed Junior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Diamond
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel; Verizon Wireless
    :(
    I quite agree. I would start hitting up the Classifieds for a new job. But the newest PRL that is out for the data cards does allow them to roam on Sprint EVDO. This references an agreement that was signed last year with Sprint for data roaming. I hope this goes better than the start of the Sprint data roaming. That was a really busy time for
    tech. And then it broke a lot. Lots of roaming issues for awhile, too.

10. MOTOhooligan

MOTOhooligan Former Mobile Data Addict

My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    You could go with a Total Freedom plan instead of a National Freedom plan. They're not advertised anymore but they are still available.

Remember that with the Total Freedom, you get 1,000 night/weekend and 1,000 mobile-to-mobile, rather than the unlimited with the National or Greater Freedom plans. If you have a Total Freedom plan which qualifies for My Circle you will get unlimited calilng to those ten numbers, even with a Total Freedom plan.

With a Total Freedom plan you can get 200 anytime minutes for $39.99, 350 anytime minutes for $49.99, 500 anytime minutes for $59.99, 650 anytime minutes for $79.99, 900 anytime minutes for $99.99, 1,500 anytime minutes for $149.99, 2,000 anytime minutes for $199.99 and 3,000 anytime minutes for $299.99.

They're expensive but worth it if you're using roaming networks not covered by the National Freedom plans.

11. djjim

djjim Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG VX8370 Clout
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (Old:Alltel, Nextel, At&t, USCC, Cricket)

that would be a waste of money in the Carolinas.

12. strunke

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    They are trying to get an Alltel plan for someone while they live in New Jersey and use their carolina address. With a total freedom plan they would look much more kindly on roaming for 6 months straight. But you would have to get the 59.99 one with my circle for it to even be worth the money (10 free numbers is still better then what other carriers would charge for the same).

13. KyleAndMelissa22

My Phone:
    LG Lucid 3 / G4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    in NJ, theres only VZW & Sprint, so a Nat'l Freedom plan would work as well in NJ, correct?

I guess with Total Freedom, you can use the US cellular, Unicel, Ramcell of NC(SmokeyMts), OR & KY and other local carriers with no expensive "per minute" roaming fees.

You won't find any of these minor networks in NJ, so National Freedom would work as well, i think.

I'm just wondering if it'll make a difference in regards to excessive free roaming

14. strunke

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Yes national freedom will work. But because you are paying more for less anytime minutes with total freedom the account may still look profitable in the eyes of alltel if the account ever does come under review because of the roaming. But really it's a gray area, I don't work for them so I don't know exactly what they will do. You could get the account setup and not ever run into the problem for all I know. But it's not a given you won't have problems like if you were to sign up in native alltel that's all. Total freedom allows you to roam without charges on any cdma/amps network there is. National freedom is primarily vzw, sprint, some uscc, a few others.

15. MOTOhooligan

My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    National Freedom will work in NJ but only on Verizon's network, not Sprint. The National Freedom plan does not cover SIDs from any other carrier in NJ.

16. strunke

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    That may be a good thing, from what little I hear VZW and Cingular are coverage kings in NJ. But it could be bad if there is some place that VZW doesn't cover at all there....

17. mframe

mframe Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel 3aXL, Moto G7 Power
    Wireless Provider(s):
    TracFone, PagePlus, TMO, Xfinity, H2O
    Alltel's recent PRLs (that have Sprint higher priority than Verizon) do include NJ. Sprint SID 4162 has highest priority, for NJ.

18. KyleAndMelissa22

My Phone:
    LG Lucid 3 / G4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    My mother was in Trenton, NJ a few months ago on Sprint SID 4168 and it worked fine. 4162 is for Northern NJ/NYC, 4168 is for Southern NJ/PHL

But there a little town in NJ called New Egypt, where a dear friend of mine lives. New Egypt contains a 3-county border nearby (Ocean, Burlington, Monmouth). Each county contains a different SID for VZW. (SID 8 = PHL/West Jersey, SID 22 = NYC/North Jersey, SID 250 = Atlantic City/South Jersey).

New Egypt is in the dead center of the state, and on the tri-county border would likely be low VZW signal.

19. MOTOhooligan

My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    In Alltel's system, Sprint SID 4162 is listed as New York, NY.
    Sprint SID 4168 is listed as Philadelphia, PA.

There are no Sprint SIDs listed as New Jersey available on Alltel's National Freedom plans.

20. Fire14

Fire14 Easy,Cheap & Sleazy

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    That's because they consider NJ Split in half, with part being the NYC Market & the rest being in the Philly Market.
    We always get this happening to us, guess they don't want NJ to have it's own SID. :(

21. MOTOhooligan

My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    It's because Sprint hates you... at least Verizon has some NJ SIDs in there.:D

22. KyleAndMelissa22

My Phone:
    LG Lucid 3 / G4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    TV stations work the same way. NJ has always been part of the generalization:

North Jersey ---> NYC metro
    South Jersey ---> PHILLY metro

Thats why they created News 12 New Jersey.......Slogan: "As local as local news gets"
    and New Jersey 101.5.......Slogan: "Our own radio station: not New York, not Philadephia, Proud to be New Jersey!"

New Jerseyans dislike being generalized to be included in the NYC/PHILLY Metros. Me Included (I lived there 16 years)

23. djjim

djjim Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG VX8370 Clout
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (Old:Alltel, Nextel, At&t, USCC, Cricket)
    Well, that's the way it goes. Metros win. There is not enough room for stations esp since Phiily and Ny are so close together. Look at Boone, NC...part of the Charlotte Metro for TV and radio. New Hampshire, where I was from, was split between Boston, Portland, ME and Burlington, VT markets and was NEVER mentioned on the local newscasts. Jersey 101.5 will probably get bought out by a huge radio corp. eventually and moved into Philly just like 97.5 was(the old WPST). Your own 105.3 WAGI Gaffney is about to get yanked away from Gaffney and moved into Charlotte.

24. KyleAndMelissa22

My Phone:
    LG Lucid 3 / G4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    It seems the Jersey Shore gets the least attention. 97.5 was better than 94.5 (where PST is now). And Most receptible radio stations in the Toms River area (90%) are weak stations located in NY, Philly, & Atlantic City (it is dead center between each, a 1-hour drive to these cities). You'd never hear "Toms River." or some other local towns on the radio. Maybe Seaside once in awhile (bennies don't care).:mad:

As for WAGI 105.3, yup lots of people i know here in Gaffney say they would actually be devistated over the loss of their own station (Waggie). But I heard it's transmitter would actually be moved to the Kings Mountain/Gastonia area (with the same location & coverage as 101.9 WBAV). So if you go into Greenville, SC you'd lose it. Right now you can go as far south on I-85 as Anderson. It will still be licensed to Gaffney, and 101.9 is a stong station here, so it wouldn't be "totally gone" when they move to that area. WAGI's transmitter is currently located on a mountain 10 miles northeast of Forest City, NC (or about 15 miles NW of Shelby; 5 miles west of Polkville)

25. KyleAndMelissa22

My Phone:
    LG Lucid 3 / G4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon has about 3 times the SIDs as Sprint.

Verizon's only NJ-Based SID is 250 for South Jersey.

Otherwize VZW's SIDs 22 (NYC) & 8 (Philadelphia) service NJ.....(like Sprint 4162 & 4168).

Same for Sprint in the Carolinas; Charlotte, NC-based SID 4376 covers all of NC & SC. so SC does not have it's own Sprint SID

26. grazzzy

grazzzy Junior Member

when folks lash out at advertisers who don't do business in every nook and cranny of the country, there are obviously some other underlying issues at work with them. :rolleyes:

27. finndaddy

finndaddy New Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry 7130
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    And people say New Yorkers are angry.
    Alltel is spending more and more money on nationwide advertising. With such a reaction to their commercials, I wouldn't suggest you tune into Monday Night Football this year.

28. KyleAndMelissa22

My Phone:
    LG Lucid 3 / G4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    I'm purposely pushing the "unlimited" limit. (leaving my phone on at night)

I'm past 20,000 my circle/m2m minutes and i still have til' the 15th to go....!!!

I'm not forcing roam, just using Alltel for this.

Since I'm headed to NJ later tonight, until 4-9, this will most minutes for the month. (i won't make it to 30,000)

29. UFO

UFO Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Palm Centro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint and alltel
    And the purpose of this? :confused:

Just curious.

30. KyleAndMelissa22

My Phone:
    LG Lucid 3 / G4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Here's the current usage for this month (3/16 - 4/15)

Updated 4-1:

130 Anytime
    2,559 N&W
    18,200 m2m/circle

just Testing the limit!!!!

cuz I'm just bored :D
    lol