Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Why are VZ Wireless stores PACKED while others are empty?

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by adamj023, Sep 17, 2004.

1. adamj023

adamj023 Member

On a Friday night I passed the Verizon wireless store and the store was literally packed with lines out the door. The other factory stores for the other carriers had 1 or 2 customers max or were empty.

My question is why do customers seem to prefer Verizon and I mean REALLY PREFER VERIZON where they will wait on line for hours in huge crowds? I do know consumer reports said in january of 2004 that Verizon was the best overall service. And it seems like their marketting like "Can you hear me now" were true successes but the fact is they were actually based on real fact at the time. But is this the reason why most customers want them?

In the past, the 2 best services were AT&T and Verizon, with Verizon being best in NYC Metro while AT&T was best in alot of other markets. Also AT&T's billing used to be the most expensive as well.

2. macsesso

macsesso Senior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry Storm 9550
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizonwireless
    Let me begin by saying I am not a VZW cheerleader.

Your observation reminds me of a mall I shop in. In the Verizon store there is usually a wait. If you walk by the empty ATT kiosk the salespeople, and I use the term loosely, practically grab you by the collar and pull you over.

Coverage should be the number one priority for choosing a carrier. Phones minutes, etc are all tied for last. With Verizon the coverage can't be beat. I also have found Customer Service by phone to be excellent.

One reason you might see crowded VZW stores and empty stores of other carriers is that when porting went into effect last November millions of people ported their numbers to VZW or are waiting to do so as their contracts expire.

3. adamj023

adamj023 Member

Im not a VZW Cheerleader either. They treated me badly in store but they gave me service credit and new A670 phone to make up for it. I may go with Cingular depending on the reviews that come out in another year when my contract is up and after the merger with AT&T.

It seems like most carriers have plenty of spectrum left and underutilized while Verizon is overutilized.

It looks like another round of mergers may be needed after AT&T and Cingular.

AT&T and Cingular merger is well needed to compete with Verizon and its a good move while will require some license changes in some markets such as divestitures, but overall a good move.

4. ComicalMoodyDan

ComicalMoodyDan Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    It's a combination of several factors on why Verizon's stores are so busy. Verizon Wireless seems to have less corporate stores then other carriers and Verizon doesn't have as many resellers as other providers. Counting kiosks and corp stores Cingular has at least five stores in my area while Verizon just has two. Cingular has four resellers that I can think of while Verizon has three. Naturally Verizon is going to have more people in there stores because they don't have as many places to go to as other providers and they are the largest provider in the US that is also signing up more people than any other carrier.

5. stratfink

stratfink Junior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola E815
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Yeah, I noticed that Verizon does not have many corporate stores here in South Florida but on every other block there is a Cingular store! It is different for me in that almost every time I go to a Verizon store there are not many people there and I usually get service right away. Lately I have been going to a few Cingular stores to look into their service and they are always crowded and you have to sign in and wait for your name to be called. I also like the fact that Verizon is opened the later hours.

6. jones

jones Silver Senior Member

Great commercials of Great Coverage Works.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. macsesso

macsesso Senior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry Storm 9550
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizonwireless

Since you are also a member of the Howard Forums read Bill Radio's comment in a similar thread on the upcoming merger between ATT and Cingular. His posts are helpful, informative, and well thought out.

8. agentHibby

agentHibby Iowa Cellular Guru

My Phone:
    Nokia 6256i
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    there are not that many areas where a PCS provider is #1 in an area. I sure there are a few markets, but not that many. Florida Cingular Cellular provider Verizon PCS provider. New York metro VZW cellular / Cingular PCS provider.

9. Sprint PCS 411

My Phone:
    Nokia 3200
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular Wireless GSM America
    This is a no brainer (why there were HUGE lines and crowds in Verizon Stores)...

EVERYONE IS GIVING UP ON VERIZONS CRAPPY CS, COVERAGE/RECEPTION, CUSTOMER LOYALTY AND PHONE SELECTION...

THEY ARE ALL SWITCHING (MOST LIKLEY TO CINGULAR OR AT&T)

THAT WAS FUNNY...

ABVOISLY I AM NOT A VERIZON CHEERLEADER!!!!!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. jones

jones Silver Senior Member

You may think so because VZW has many users.
    This may be true in the Rural Areas but not in the Urban Areas.

11. Jodi

Jodi Keep on swimming...

My Phone:
    Motorola Droid X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    I agree...I see SOME T-Mo ads on TV, very few Cingular and ATT ads, but my TV is overflowing with VZW ads...in addition to VZW, then there's also Verizon DSL and phone ads plastering my TV...Verizon stands out in the Los Angeles TV waves..

12. Etorres777

Etorres777 Life is good for now..

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 3G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t Mobility
    I see that too, a lot of Verizon stuff over and over and over that I can recite every comercial with my eyes covered and my hands tied behind my back. I read somewhere, can't remember, that the holidays are going to be jampacked with Cingular comercials to advertize.

13. crood

crood Senior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung Moment
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    I think it has mostly to do with number of locations. For example, on Long Island, none of the kiosks in the malls sell Verizon. ATTWs, Cingular, and T-Mobile are all in the kiosks From friends who have used them. I've been told they get better deals from the kiosks than they would in the stores.

14. twopiece

twopiece D'oh!!

My Phone:
    Motorola Droid Pro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    I do see much more people at the corporate stores than the third party resellers. They may be more at ease since the corporate store can help them with repairs, tech support, and billing issues.

The only store where I've seen a lot of people on a saturday night is the Sprint store under the Flatiron building in NYC. I waited with a friend for 45 min just so he could pay his bill.

15. NYCDru

NYCDru Sprint Newbie

My Phone:
    Motrola V3m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint, Verizon(former), ATT(former),
    Which building is that? Were is it?

16. twopiece

twopiece D'oh!!

My Phone:
    Motorola Droid Pro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    23rd street and 5th avenue.

17. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    One of the main reasons why Verizon stores have so much more traffic than other carriers has to do with the way Verizon directs customer service. Cingular has been making numerous changes to reduce store traffic by redirecting services through other channels such as mail, over the phone, etc. This reduces store traffic considerably. There are areas where Cingular stores are packed just like Verizon's. It depends on the area. But overall, it appears that Verizon stores offer more reasons to go to the stores than other carriers.

18. Airb330

Airb330 Silver Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I see a lot of Cingular and Verizon ads. There a good amount of Sprint, ATT, and T-Mobile ads too. Hardly any Nextel ads. Maybe the carriers really are targeting Philly, but almost every commercial break has at least 1 wireless ad, usually Cingular or Verizon.

My local Verizon store is packed too, mostly due to a lack of resellers. Usually most people are getting their phone's replaced. I swear it's either CDMA phones, or Delaware, because everytime I was in the VZ store, there were 2-10 people getting their phones replaced.

19. KenS

KenS Junior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola V710+HS820
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    It probably depends on your area, but I've used VZW all over the Boston metro area (out to 495) roaming from cell-to-cell on long calls, and I don't think I've had a call dropped in several years, or gotten a no-service indication (except in a few areas). I have had a few bad calls (which would seem to indicate I landed on a channel with a bad radio or interference problem) a few times, but that's it. I've also used them, less intensely, in the more rural western Mass area, with no problems (although dead spots due to topography do exist).

I do tend to stick to major highways, so things could be worse in more fringe areas. But I don't recall any particular problems off the beaten track in recent years (and I've used the phone in parts of southern RI and south/central Maine in the last couple of years).

It was different years ago, when digital was still new, but they don't seem to be having any problems that would indicate overutilization (i.e., lack of capacity) in my experience.

Back to the original topic of this thread: I switched to VZW years ago (from Cellular One) due to coverage/quality issues. I've never felt a reason to look for another carrier since. Their in-store experience is a real pain, but I visit a store once every couple of years, and the day-to-day phone service is excellent, so I put up with the stores (and now, you can do a lot online if you don't feel a need to touch a new phone before buying).