Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Why are Verizon phones going back to dual mode?

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by silverado, Sep 4, 2003.

1. silverado

silverado Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG VX9900
    I noticed that a few of Verizon's current phones no longer have analog. Why are they removing this feature? I realize analog is an older technology but one of the reasons for choosing Verizon is because when your in nowheresland you can still get service.

2. GoodmanR

GoodmanR Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Moto v3 Razr
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular (Voice) + T-Mobile (Blackberry)
    Verizon is getting rid of phones supporting AMPS. the reasons are unclear and there has been much debate about the merits of doing so. i presonally think its rediculous and stupid to eliminate amps for no aparent reason. others, including those on here who work for verizon, disagree.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. jayc

jayc Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung A670
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Once again I don't disagree because I work for verizon... I disagree because I have no need for analog, I've never been anywhere in my memorable life where I have used analog except in Carolina West territory which will soon be CDMA.

4. zeeker

zeeker Junior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8800
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile, Cingular
    My recent experience with Analog in FLA was <b>STATIC!!</B>. So fed up that even in NJ I have CDMA only.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. scottb

scottb Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel 6 Pro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile, Visible
    I've been through several areas in southern VA, northern and eastern and central NC and the FL panhandle that are analog.

6. DeathRider

DeathRider Member

My Phone:
    LG Dare
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I went with my brother's family "camping" in New Hampshire.

Above I think it was mile marker 73 on I-93, digital cverage was spotty. Better than my brother's S105/TMo, but not by much. Didn't bring my 120c to see if analog would have been better. This is a once a year thing, so not worried about analog.

7. GoodmanR

My Phone:
    Moto v3 Razr
    Wireless Provider(s):
    jayc,

although you might not have a need for analog, you have to admit that some people do...

8. lets456

lets456 Junior Member

I thought the most important thing about a wireless phone was making a connection !!!! I would rather have an analog connection than no connection at all !!! What happens if my car breaks down in the middle of nowhere. I will not care if the connection is analog or not, I just want a connection. I have gone through very few spot that were analog (with Verizon), but I had to place a few calls in those areas. I am sure it is purely "economics" why Verizon is doing this.

9. njsvrzncdma

njsvrzncdma i cant stop the ringing..

My Phone:
    LG vx8500
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VERIZON
    i have no need for amps either. I admit i was skeptical at first but after geting the vx6000 i see that i really have no need for it.

10. PADutchman

PADutchman Senior Member

The VZW people in my neck of the woods, basically are saying analog phase out within 2 yrs.
    Current remaining analog systems will become CDMA / digital.

11. GoodmanR

My Phone:
    Moto v3 Razr
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon should have 100% native digital coverage by the end of the year. The issue with coverage and AMPS phones is more of an off network issue though, and this is something Verizon has no control over. I would guess that most carriers who now only offer AMPS service should be on CDMA or GSM within two years, but that is an optimistic estimate. There are also many TDMA/AMPS networks which will go GSM and not CDMA,and this leaves some coverage gaps too..

As for when analog itslef will be turned off, under FCC mandate AMPS systems will stay active until 2007 at least.

12. NAHokie

NAHokie New Member

My Phone:
    LG 6100
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Those of us who don't live in larger metropolitan areas and either live in or travel in rural areas need to have the analog capability. Someday the whole country will become digital, but for now and for several more years there's a lot of this country that only has analog service.

13. Airb330

Airb330 Silver Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    So what? WOW, verizon is 100% digital, big deal. Their network is not 100%. Say you are in a Verizon weak area (HELLO VERIZON, fix Newark DE!), and need to call 911 and there is no verizon or sprint. Oh, well I would be screwed. I think I'll keep analog until there is just better CDMA coverage. It isn't that rock solid IMO. In fact, I plan on moving to SPCS as soon as possbile. Everytime Verizon is dead, Sprint has a signal. Now, I just wish I could get out of my contract w/o a fee. I have had nothing but problems from Verizon from day 1. [​IMG]

14. GoodmanR

My Phone:
    Moto v3 Razr
    Wireless Provider(s):
    my point wasnt that we didnt need analog, in fact my point was opposite that. read my post completely wihtout skipping parts and its pretty clear. no need to go off on someone for no reason.

what i said is that verizon is basically all digital but that means nothing because all of their roaming partners are not all digital.

15. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Well, if you need analog, simply don't buy those dual-mode phones. Either that, or keep the one you have and if you need a new phone, get one that has analog.

16. GoodmanR

My Phone:
    Moto v3 Razr
    Wireless Provider(s):
    The problem is that within six or so months you ownt really be able to buy a AMPS enabled phone

17. Airb330

Airb330 Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I did read your post and I agree. I didn't mean to be sarcastic towards you in any way. I just feel everyone is praising Verizon all the time and I have had nothing but problems from them (mostly that "best network"). I just feel too many people may be depending on it alot, IMO it's a flaky network with these 1X phones (never had problems with my nokia or LG 510).

18. GoodmanR

My Phone:
    Moto v3 Razr
    Wireless Provider(s):
    The problem is that not every single tower on the network is 1x. So when the phone loses 1x, they tend to re-register on the network.

19. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    You can always get one from Ebay.....[​IMG]

20. njsvrzncdma

njsvrzncdma i cant stop the ringing..

My Phone:
    LG vx8500
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VERIZON
    i agree ebay is the way to go after that happens