Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Who would pay for this S---

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by GoodmanR, Aug 1, 2003.

1. GoodmanR

GoodmanR Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Moto v3 Razr
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular (Voice) + T-Mobile (Blackberry)
    I guess they are nice looking, but come on $22,000 for a PHONE!

Vertu

i saw their ad in an airline magazine awhile ago, but just looked at the website...go to acquire a vertu, and do acquire online, change the pricing to USD. anyone know what the deal is with this whole thing? have people paid for them?

there is something wrong with the world when people are concerned enough with the status that their phone gives them that they need silver and gold handsets. i know that nokia has made some phones costing several thousand dollars, but these start at like 5 grand and go up to like 20 plus

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Tadlock2699

Tadlock2699 Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone Xs
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, T-Mobile
    Goodman: It's for the elite ones. You know, some of the actors and actresses among us. They're freaking stupid for buying phones like that, but, it's all about the $. [​IMG]

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. budney

budney Resident Headbanger
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone 6s+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Why wasn't this phone in the Matrix? Much nicer IMO, and the n270 is ugly & featureless. You can get one with Stainless Steel for $5,700. Still the price is just beyond ridiculous for a phone. [​IMG]

4. matt8205

matt8205 Junior Member

[​IMG]
    For that matter, who needs a camera in their cell phone? And in my neighborhood, using a phone that sounds like a walkie-talkie makes you sound like a cop, which is a good way to draw unwanted attention to yourself.

I'm sure somebody somewhere has a do-or-die need for all of these features; I just don't think it amounts to very many people. Aren't a lot of folks playing a status game when they get phones with cameras, Web access, walkie-talkies, interactive games, etc.? And you can get all that stuff for far less than $22,000.

Personally, I always look at the worst-case scenario -- with any cell phone (at any price), that's losing or destroying it, whether by theft or by accidentally dropping it in a rest-area toilet. One friend actually ran over his phone with his own pickup truck; another dropped it in the woods and never found it again.

Most folks aren't that clumsy; we'll just be forced to change in a couple of years because our phones are obsolete or there's a better, shinier model.

Anybody remember 8-track tapes?

5. GoodmanR

My Phone:
    Moto v3 Razr
    Wireless Provider(s):
    yeah this phone you need to take out like a homeowners insurance policy against!

freaking rediculous

6. acranox

acranox New Member

oh, those!
    yeah, i've got one,
    and I got one for my wife, and my four kids, and I got two for my best friend and his wife when they had their anniversary.

oh, wait, no, just kidding
    if I had that money, I'd rather get a house and a better car.

7. njsvrzncdma

njsvrzncdma i cant stop the ringing..

My Phone:
    LG vx8500
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VERIZON
    i knew about these for a while and i have seen this posted once b4 on the boards. all ive got to say is if youve got that much money then you should be sharing it and helping people out not buying a P.O.S. phone.

8. GoodmanR

My Phone:
    Moto v3 Razr
    Wireless Provider(s):
    im gonna go visit the store next time i go to new york, just to see what the F--- these things are

9. Tadlock2699

My Phone:
    iPhone Xs
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, T-Mobile
    About the stupid-est idea for phones...if I ever see someone with one of these phones, I'll take the phone and throw it in the trash. STUPID IDEAS!

10. matt8205

matt8205 Junior Member

[​IMG]
    It's a free country for now -- the Patriot Act notwithstanding -- and I don't think it serves any purpose to destroy other peoples' property. If anybody is stupid enought to pay for a shinier phone, or whatever, they'll find out in a couple of years just how shortsighted they were.

Personally, I'm keeping my Nokia 5165 until satellite phones become as cheap as cell phones. Who's going to stop me?

11. GoodmanR

My Phone:
    Moto v3 Razr
    Wireless Provider(s):

12. Airb330

Airb330 Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Totally agree, the filthy rich will just waste it or it will sit there...while people are dying. Makes me freaking sick to think about it.

13. GoodmanR

My Phone:
    Moto v3 Razr
    Wireless Provider(s):
    the actual hardware of the phone isnt even great.

i assume its gsm, although it doesnt say anywhere on teh website, but it doesnt even support gprs

14. Tadlock2699

My Phone:
    iPhone Xs
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, T-Mobile
    Matt: I do agree with you. Yes, it's a free country, but, I mean, COME ON?!!?

Airb: RIGHT ON!

Goodman: I don't think there's really anything special about this phone....yes, I do believe it's GSM, but, it doesn't seem to have really any extra-ordinary features?

15. matt8205

matt8205 Junior Member

[​IMG]
    I had a great response. Then I posted it, and it turns out that I'm not allowed to post the common nickname for "Richard" on this Web site. In my context, I was referring to a "Richard" Tracy wristwatch.

If this seems absurd, consider a previous censorship applied to another of my messages: I referred to a word meaning "the same" and starting with "h." Apparently this site has a mindless dimwit in charge of its language.

None of mine has been profane or degrading to persons who posess male organs, or who possess male organs and prefer them in return.

Now that I've had thread locked by a so-called "moderator," could one of those blessed few please get a clue about the English language?!?

I feel like my hands are tied!

16. Tadlock2699

My Phone:
    iPhone Xs
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, T-Mobile
    The filtering service only searches for words that are on an "offensive" list, I don't think it really matters the context of the word being used, but, simply the word.

17. matt8205

matt8205 Junior Member

Tadlock,

Yeah, that's great, but still my hands remain tied. This site later released the "h" prefix -- meaning "the same" -- acknowledging that it was a ridiculous constraint. I have the e-mail from them...

What educated person would think that a word such as the nickname for "Richard" would be offensive in every context?

On the Internet film site, they handle this very easily by simply reading the reviews and posting them a couple days later.

In any event, is being literate too much to ask from a site based entirely on the written word?!?

18. Tadlock2699

My Phone:
    iPhone Xs
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, T-Mobile
    No, it's not too much to ask but you have to meet the site half way by means of filtering of posts.

19. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Ok, let's put this thread back on track....

I don't think the gold or the stainless steel is going to help much with the sound quality or the reception. I would be laughing so hard if one day I see someone with a Vertu. I would come to them and tell them "here, my $200 phone can browse the web at high speed, take pictures, send them by email while your $6000 phone cannot! [​IMG]

I bet these phones sound no better than my good'ol Nokia...

20. GoodmanR

My Phone:
    Moto v3 Razr
    Wireless Provider(s):
    bobolito,

i think the phoen is basically made half by nokia. they have a "strategic partnership" with nokia accoring to their site. but the fact remains that for $20,000 you should be getting a hell of a lot more than a phone with no GPRS, no camera and really not all that much besides solid gold casing. i just dont get people sometimes...

21. Tadlock2699

My Phone:
    iPhone Xs
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, T-Mobile
    These Vertu phones are almost a way of the companies (nokia, and vertu), almost like they are laughing at how rediculus they can over price phones, which have very few features, and are plated in gold??? It's like they knew that people with waaaay too much money would buy these things, just because they were expensive or something..? IMO, they are wayyy to expensive, have no real valuable features, and..and..WHY??

22. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Yes they are laughing because they know they are making the big bucks on these phones. They know someone will buy them anyway just because of the price. I guess some people believe that if you see something ridiculously expensive, then it must be the best product. They know there are people out there that are actually that stupid.

23. Tadlock2699

My Phone:
    iPhone Xs
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, T-Mobile
    Ahh yes, the almighty, ever-running, stupidity! Yes, I'm sure there are lots of stupid rich people that will buy 4 of these!!!

24. GoodmanR

My Phone:
    Moto v3 Razr
    Wireless Provider(s):
    exactly

25. Tadlock2699

My Phone:
    iPhone Xs
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, T-Mobile
    Jeez....I think I would feel bad shipping one or more of these phones out to some rich person...I mean, they know they are ripping the people off....what a-holes.