Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Who offers the best brand of Phones?

Discussion in 'All Other Brands of Wireless Phones' started by CellguyNY, Dec 12, 2001.

1. CellguyNY

CellguyNY Junior Member

heres an interesting thought since everyone argues about wireless services so much lets see which company offers the best phones. The Top Ten please.
    here are some of mine.
    1. Nokia
    2. Motorola (Minus Iden)
    3. LG-CDM
    4. Ericsson
    5. Panasonic
    6. Samsung
    7. Audiovox
    8. Kyocera
    9. Qualcomm
    10.Mitsubishi

I appreciate feedback on this thank you.

2. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    Oh, I like the way you think!!

1. Nokia (Okay, don't everybody throw rotten fruit at me)
    2. Motorola
    3. Kyocera/Qualcomm
    4. LG (because it also uses Qualcomm)
    5. Samsung
    6. Panasonic
    7. Ericsson
    8. Audiovox
    9. Mitsubishi

3. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I would put Sanyo in there over Ericsson and Audiovox anytime. But of course they make Sprint phones so no one wants to list them. LOL

4. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Member

1.Nokia
    2.Qualcomm
    3.Motorola
    4.Ericsson
    5.Audiovox
    6.LG

Motorola would have been my #2 but they have put out some crap phones lately, excluding the V60 series.

Ericsson is my sleeper. I like the last couple of models they have produced namely the T28w and A1228di.

Tom

5. bradley

bradley New Member

Motorola iDEN phones are very tough
    nokia is good but dont get them wet dont even sweat on one
    ericson phones suck
    dont heve any experience with the other manufacturers

6. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    It's interesting to see that no one on this thread put Sanyo in the rankings. Their 4500 model was rated as one of the best phones ever made by CNET. Hitachi has also signed a contract with Sprint to deliver some new 3G phones next year so we'll have to see what those are like.

7. Yankees400

Yankees400 New Member

I have owned phones from Nokia, Audiovox, and LG. Of those I like the LG best, followed by Audiovox, with Nokia (5190) a distant third.

8. ComicalMoodyDan

ComicalMoodyDan Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    I've owned and used phones from Nokia, Ericsson, Nortel, and Motorola. Based from my experience with those my list is as follows:

1.Nokia
    2.Motorola
    3.Nortel
    4.Ericsson

I can't really speak for any other phone makers since I have never used them before and I also have to agree that Ericsson phones are junk I doubt I would ever buy one again.

9. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Member

Ericsson has teamed up with Sony and I just read in the Wall Street Journal they just came out with a color display on their latest model (sorry I forgot the model type). If you haven't used or seen some of the more recent Ericsson phones I think you will pleasantly surprised. I'm not putting them at the top of the list but they are definitely coming out of the gutter.

Tom

10. Guest

Guest Guest

I agree with Larry. The Sanyo phones SEEM to work better than other CDMA phones, and belong on the Top 5. Sanyo makes phones for other networks beside Sprint, and you can purchase one, and activate on any CDMA network other than Sprint. However, only Sprint purchased enough in quantity to make them affordable.

I tried to buy a Sanyo 850 for Verizon from the Radio Shack catalog, but they wanted over $300 for it. After buying a Sanyo 4000 for Sprint, new, for $80, I thought that was too steep.

-Bill Radio
    -www.mountainwireless.com

11. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Yeah I was surprised to see that Sanyo 850 for Verizon the last time I was at Radio Shack. Now that Verizon offers a Sanyo maybe someone here will put it in the top 5 where it belongs.

12. ComicalMoodyDan

ComicalMoodyDan Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    That's true Ericsson phones do look like they are getting better lately and now with the team up from Sony I am sure they most likely will continue to improve but given there past performace I am still a bit ireary of them. Ericsson may start to get a good rep for phones in the US but its going to take them a while to shake off the bad one.

13. bnell

bnell New Member

Regarding Sanyo phones, I agree that they are pretty user friendly. Although I always thought, at it's highest setting, the ringer was too low especially when compared to other phones such as Nokia... However, if you're buying one you should definitely consider purchasing insurance. I have had a 4000 for just 2 months shy of two years. Although the phone appears to be working I can't get any calls to go through without the phone going into roaming mode. If I receive a call it gets dropped within the 1st thirty seconds. I took it it to have it checked and it failed Sprint's diagnostic test. To put it in the words of the Sprint Sales representative, since the phone is no longer under warranty and I have no insurance "I am out of luck." While I was in the Sprint store another customer was in complaining of a problem with a Sanyo phone that was about the same age as mine. Basically, Sprint Sales Representatives will tell you that the only option you have is to purchase another phone. Their most inexpensive phone at the moment is $100. I passed. I'm not willing to keep investing this kind of money into cell phones that I can only use with one carrier (a racket) and then pay insurance on top of that because the phone will probably break after the warranty is up. I am purchasing a used phone from a friend just to finish up my contract. I look forward to ending my relationship with Sprint.

14. PBeccalli

PBeccalli New Member

1.) Nokia (by far)
    2.) Samsung
    3.) Ericsson
    4.) Panasonic
    5.) Kyocera

I don't like Motorola. Many people I know have had problems with them.

15. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    That sucks that you've had problems with your Sanyo 4000 but I know several users of Sanyos who think they are the best phones on the market and have not had any trouble with them in over two years of use. The 4500 and 4700 models seem to be better all around phones than the 4000. I agree with you that ringer volume isn't as loud as Nokias are. The 4700 model has a louder ringer than the 4000 so they have improved on that. The Sanyo 5150 and 6000 models blow away anything that Nokia has out right now.

16. Guest

Guest Guest

I currently have 2 Ericcson 1228d's and a Nokia 3360. The Ericcson's have been good for an entry level phone, I have not had any problems with them. The Nokia is a much better phone if because of nothing more than all the additional features and the ability to switch to analog. I have no experience with other mfg's.

17. Jon

Jon New Member

I personally think Audiovox makes a great phone for CDMA networks. I wish Nokia would offer some more CDMA models. The 5185i and 3285 are crap in my opinion. I think Motorola is going downhill. They've shipped several batches to CDMA carriers lately with known software problems. I also am not fond of the menu layout of the v120c, 270c, and v60c. We had a 270 timeport we were testing and all the paint flaked off of it in 3 months. Honestly, I beleive all the brands are really about equal and you are prone to get a good phone or bad phone no matter who manufactures it. I'm just partial to Audiovox.

18. SweetBoXx

SweetBoXx Junior Member

I would pick the Kyocera 2135 over all of them

Barbara Behan
    Hammonton, NJ

19. Jack

Jack Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    Motorola phones work good on cdma

Jack

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  20. Dukedog

Dukedog Senior Member

I think that Samsung is getting up there as well as ericcson and sony getting on the map to

1.Samsung (1 day in the future
    2.SonyEriccson
    3.Motorola
    4. Nokia
    5.Sanyo
    6. Kyocera
    7.LG
    8. Semiens
    9.Hitachi
    10.Audiovox

21. IdiOTeQnoLogY

IdiOTeQnoLogY Bronze Senior Member

I have personally owned a Nokia with AT&T, a Samsung8500 with Sprint and a Sanyo5150 with sprint.
    Samsung phones are excellent and my Sanyo has the best signal strength of all and clarity of audio even in weak signal areas amongst all 3 brands I have had. I agree that the Sanyo ringer is not high enough if you use the polyphonic musical ringers like the mozart one or any midi ringer you download from sprint doesnt seem to play high enough. but it has a vibrate + high ringer feature as well, and the ringTones are more than loud enough. The Nokias do have a very friendly menu interface, as well as the Samsung, very intuitive. The Sanyo menu interface is more than adequate, better than the Motorolas my friends have and Sanyo is catchin up with samsung and nokia in this respect. I will not comment on other brands that I do not have experience with [​IMG]

22. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I'm not a big Motorola fan and wouldn't put them in the top 5 anymore. Sanyo's and Kyocera's are better, at least on CDMA.

23. Wayne

Wayne Senior Member

Didn't I already do this post a couple of days ago??.................................... Oh well!!!

1. Motorola
    2. Samsung
    3. Kyocera
    4. LG
    5. Audiovox
    6. Nokia

Of course like I said earlier...........this is off of Verizon Service..........other phones do better with different providers. But Nokia in my opinion is the cheapest made phone.....................but they look cOOl.[​IMG]

24. Wayne

Wayne Senior Member

Did you see when this message started!?!?!? Back in December!!![​IMG]

25. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Wayne,

Motorola No. 1? The only decent model they offer is the V60. The CDMA V120 had many complaints. The StarTac is old and outdated now. For CDMA phones they don't even use the Qualcomm chip.

Here's my picks:

1) Sanyo
    2) Kyocera
    3) Nokia
    4) Samsung
    5) LG
    6) Motorola
    7) Audiovox
    8) ericsson

26. Wayne

Wayne Senior Member

Dont be ditch'in the Startac...........while some what outdated.....................still one of the best phones out.
    Dont you find it funny motorola makes a high dollar phone and puts a cheap 2 cent antenna on it. God they cant make antenna's[​IMG]
    Yes they are getting cheaper made.........but in my standings right now they are still 1................for now..........................[​IMG]

27. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    The StarTac 7867 was my previous phone and it didn't have many features compared to the current phones on the market. One thing good was the battery life was awesome but other than that I got tired of it fast. I didn't care for the way the menu keys functioned either. My mom is now using it and she still can't figure out how to use the menu and functions too well.

28. Wayne

Wayne Senior Member

lol true........................but those menues on that phone compared to the new Motorola's where playschool. I cant figure out crap on the new ones.................................VERY user unfriendly, True??[​IMG]

29. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I hate to admit this but I was never entirely comfortable using the keys and menu on the StarTac. If I needed to bring something up in a hurry I couldn't. I had to stop and think about what buttons to push. That's the main reason I stopped using it. I also found it hard to find certain features that I wanted to adjust. The Kyocera 2255 is much more user friendly to me [​IMG]

30. Jack

Jack Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    I personally am a motorola fan

Jack

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...