Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Who offers GSM sevice in Buffalo New York?

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by BobMaz, Oct 16, 2002.

1. BobMaz

BobMaz New Member

Does anybody know which cellular service provider in Buffalo, NY is GSM?

2. aiwapro

aiwapro Silver Senior Member

T-Mobile offers GSM service in Buffalo, NY.

3. petenice

petenice New Member

Hey 'Polska'

Did you figure out what you're going to do about service in Buffalo? I don't think any of those Nokia
    phones you were inquiring about will work.

Piotr

4. aiwapro

Those Nokia phones he was inquiring about will work with T-Mobile if he gets them unlocked. I use the 8390 right now with T-Mobile.

5. Buffalo

Buffalo New Member

I have had T-Mo service in Buffalo since about day 1 and am very pleased. I'm formerly a Sprint PCS customer.

I use a Nok 3390 Gold and a brand spanking new Sony Ericsson T300, and get great reception everywhere I need it.

I commute daily from Clarence to downtown B-lo and have uninterrupted service which is consistently four or five bars. I have had uninterrupted service from B-lo out to Palmyra, along the Thruway, down the 81 and on most of the 17 down to NYC. Southtowns coverage also good, but not as good as the flatlanded Northtowns.

The only difference is, once you're out in the boonies, there is no service because T-Mo offers no AMPS roaming. Doesn't bother me, though, because my de-activated Sprint PCS phone can still make a free 911 call if I need it to, so I have it in the glovebox as a safety net.

Also - if you get a GSM phone with no simlock, you can buy a Fido prepaid sim and swap out the T-Mo sim, and pay no roaming on Fido when in Ontario. The Fido prepaid sims are only good for a limited time, however.

6. BobMaz

BobMaz New Member

[​IMG] Hey, thanks for the info! [​IMG]

I currently have Verizon in Buffalo and get great reception. I would hate to give it up. The only reason that I would consider leaving is beacuse Verizon will not be selling the Nokia that I'm interested in.[​IMG] However I am worried that since T-Mobile doesn't have analog service to cover the rural areas it will not have very good coverage in this area. I live in Lancaster near Transit and Broadway. Clarence can get pretty rural in areas. How far north of the 90 do you live? Would you say that it is better than Sprint PCS in this market?

7. petenice

petenice New Member

8. petenice

petenice New Member

oops..sorry about that Bob

You should think over the switch from verizon carefully. I guess it depends what you care about more: better service or nicer looking phone. You've heard it, t-mobile coverage isn't the best. That is something to consider especially during the 9 month winters in Buffalo (kidding). I can see the headlines already: 'Polish kid stuck in snow for 3 days, couldn't call out on his cell....but it's a nice looking phone.'

9. aiwapro

Noone said there was a problem with T-Mobile coverage, tey just stated that it's not that strong in rural areas. Please stop jumping to conclusions, and just take the post for exactly what they say.

10. petenice

petenice New Member

Originally posted by Buffalo:

'The only difference is, once you're out in the boonies, there is no service because T-Mo offers no AMPS roaming. Doesn't bother me, though, because my de-activated Sprint PCS phone can still make a free 911 call if I need it to, so I have it in the glovebox as a safety net. '

Originally posted by Bob:

'However I am worried that since T-Mobile doesn't have analog service to cover the rural areas it will not have very good coverage in this area. '

Clearly NOT having coverage in certain areas while traveling WOULD be a PROBLEM. Maybe you ought to pay more attention to the posts! Sorry you have to be so hard-up for T-Mobile. I'm trying to show
    Maz that trading a good service provider for a nicer phone might not be the best option.
    I wasn't giving you any advice, although I have a couple of suggestions...peace!

11. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Petenice, do you live in Buffalo? Probably not. You don't have T-Mobile anyway. Let's let user "Buffalo" answer the questions about T-Mobile service in Buffalo since he obviously can give the best answer. Hopefully he will return ans answer Maz's specific questions about the area. Thanks.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. petenice

petenice New Member

Good point Matt, although Buffalo has already given him a general idea of what type of coverage he should expect. He pointed out potential limitations, which is in agreement to what my two buddies in Buffalo say about the service.

The reason I even care is because I am considering T-mobile myself and would like to know both the good and the bad. User Buffalo did a nice job pointing out BOTH.

I'm close enough to Buffalo.

Question: are there customer kiosks/ stores in the Buffalo area? I didn't think I saw anything on the web, other than syracuse.

13. BobMaz

BobMaz New Member

Yes, there are several T-Mobile kiosks at the local malls (three I think including the Walden Galleria). They are brand new and not listed on the T-Mobile web site yet. They are owned and operated directly by T-Mobile and all staffed by hot chicks (one of the reasons I stop to browse at every oportunity [​IMG]).

I have a pretty good idea of what the Sprint PCS coverage is like in this area (as good as Cingular and Verizon in the metro area and I've had both). I would just like to know if T-Mobile coverage is worse, comperable, or better than Sprint PCS and how quickly they are going to be expanding? There are towers going up like crazy all over the place here. I wish they had nice big signs that said which carrier they belonged to. I'm looking out my window at one right now that was put up about three years ago. I think it belongs to Cingular as my phone that I had at the time worked much better right after it went up and my current Verizon phone doesnt seem to work quit as well.

I rarely find myself in the rural areas anymore where Sprint PCS has no coverage. I used to spend quite a bit of time in rural WNY and NEEDED coverage for my job. This is no longer so I think that if the T-Mobile service is at least as good as Sprint PCS then it should be acceptable for me now (especially when you compare the great Nokia GSM phones available now to the crapy hardware that Cingular, Verizon, and Sprint will be offering in this market...save for the upcoming 6385).

14. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Bob - one source for tower informaton can be websites for your local government jurisdictions. I use the websites of Fairfax and Loudoun counties in VA, but I have to search on OmniPoint and VoiceStream to get info that is older than a month or so. Also, sometimes the tower building/leasing companies (community wireless and american tower are two near here) can be things to search for.

As for coverage, TM generally has good launches in these cities they are opening. Cleveland was launched at the same time as Buff/Roch, and there were over 300 towers in that area. Reports from Cleveland have been good so far. Hopefully the user "buffalo" will return!

IMHO, TM has expanded well in my area (DC). I'm able to identify about 4 new towers along my 15 mile commute over the last 2.5 years.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  15. petenice

petenice New Member

Bob

Seeing that you located Tmobile kiosks in Buffalo (even though they are not listed on their website), I tried the
    same approach for Rochester. Turns out they have two such locations. That should save me alot of time (not having
    to drive to Syracuse). Thanks.

16. NYCDru

NYCDru Sprint Newbie

My Phone:
    Motrola V3m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint, Verizon(former), ATT(former),
    Actually, Verizon is suposd to be offering 2 new Nokias towards the end of the year.

17. BobMaz

BobMaz New Member

Yes, I know. They are the 3585 and 6385. Unfortunatly neither of them share the same chassis as the 6590 or 8390. I'm interested in the 6590 because of the full car kit that is available for it and it is much smaller than the 6385. The 6385 is a great phone and shares the same chassis as my current 5185i and previous 6100 series phones. However, I'm tired of having a phone this large and would like to change to the smaller Nokia phone as soon as my Verizon contract expires.