Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Who has the fastest data network

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by stedesco, Apr 5, 2007.

1. strunke

strunke .:|Always Covered|:.

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8230, KRZR K1m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel, T-Mobile, Sprint, Centennial
    Overall Sprint has more EVDO country wide, but Alltel plans to have there whoel network evdo in the next year or two. With around 60 percent of it EVDO already.

The plans for Alltel with a pda/smartphone and is $29.99. Their "Smart Choice" plans are really good and you should look at those. The include (10 free numbers) My Circle, 7pm nights, free weekends, mobile to mobile, unlimited data and messaging packs, also includes tethering. Cheaper then just a data card depending on how much you utilize both. You will likely have the voice line on the account so with vzw, cingular, alltel you will probably be paying the $59.99.

The ppc 6700 is the only wifi smartphone, it is a little older but is still very good. You have to make sure you will need it, after all you will have unlimited data, but if you are just trying to network for file sharing then it is useful. The treo 700s, and the Moto Q are good. The Q is the newest pda phone they have. The ppc will get slightly better reception i believe but it is negligible. The Q will likely have the same reception as a RAZR or so.
    Oh yeah here is Ohio and Mississippi
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. UFO

UFO Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Palm Centro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint and alltel
    I would also agree, I would give the edge to Alltel over Sprint. A larger national EVDO network is good, but to me, it just seems more important to go with the provider that has the best built network in the areas that you specifically travel and the Alltel maps show the best all-around EVDO coverage for the areas you mentioned (Panhandle, Tampa area, Cleveland area, etc.). And as Strunke mentioned, upgrading networks to EVDO is also a big focus of Alltel at the moment.

As for the word and excel files, I also believe the Treo 700wx allows you to not only view, but edit those files as well which might be a bonus if that's something you're interested in. That might be something you want to ask the rep about and ask for a demo and directions just before you buy.

Something else you may want to check out is this link:
    http://www.alltel.com/business/wireless/plans/affinity.html
    It's for Alltel's Affinity Program for businesses. With what you're looking to do, you should qualify for a company discount. I'm not quite sure what you might be eligible for, but where I work it's pretty much what's described on that page, no activation fee and a discount on the monthly bill.

#32 UFO, Apr 9, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2007
  3. xenophon

xenophon Member

Alltel has great rural coverage in some states but is only in a handful of major markets. And no RevA and no user control of forced roaming.

Sprint has most network on RevA now, is fastest, can give user control of forced roaming, forced EVDO/1xRTT and can roam on Alltel DO. They also don't require you to have a voice acct to get lower rate for data cards.

Sprint's support can suck but that's why many buy from.. evdoforums.com

4. ComicalMoodyDan

ComicalMoodyDan Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Also remember that since Alltel is new to EVDO many reps are very poorly trained or misinformed about the data offerings that Alltel has. Alltel's customer service is poor but when it comes to customer service regarding data they are even worse.

5. strunke

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel has had EVDO for 3 years at least......they only recently started expanding aggressively.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. stedesco

stedesco New Member

Sorry, I don't really understand those graphs other than the obvious assumptions.

As for price: I don't really care what the costs are, I would rather pay $100 a month for great coverage/and fast speed than $70 month for weak coverage and slow speeds.

Why is everyone so strong on Sprint...everyone I know that has Sprint claims they get bad coverage etc...

Which carrier has the most roaming agreements with other carriers?? Does anyone know factual info (rumors and opinions never truly count)

7. UFO

UFO Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Palm Centro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint and alltel
    I've actually found the Alltel reps to be extremely knowledgable about the data packages and offerings. They've been a huge help in my decision on stepping up to a PDA, though for myself I think I'll wait until this summer. SE Virginia where I deal with reps, and Tampa, where the op deals with reps have had EVDO for years and it's a common part of training and it has been for years. As for tech support, Alltel has it's own division of 'data tech support' and I've found regular support to be top-notch in terms of helpfulness and wait time. Last time I called, 4:00 in the evening and no wait. So there are many debatable points, but with Sprint's poor Customer Service record vs. Alltel's, I just don't think it's even a close call.

I'm a little confused though, I'm under the impression that stedesco is talking about getting the internet through a PDA, and not wireless cards. Not that the debate there seems to matter anyway either because activating about 10 voice only phones was also mentioned and would probably be working with a business rep anyway for a special deal. And as mentioned before, Sprint is in more top markets. They have the west coast covered great and lot of other cities. It's true even more cities than Alltel at the moment even though Alltel is expanding fast, but that's not the case in the areas where the original poster mentioned spending time and wanting the coverage. If there's ever a trip outside native Alltel coverage it would fall back on Sprint anyway so I'm just not seeing the downside to Alltel vs. Sprint based on those points. Don't get me wrong, Sprint has a lot of great points and is a solid #2 vs. anybody else. Sprint's maps are much more impressive than anybody elses except Alltel's. But for the areas specifically mentioned as needing high speed data, the maps in the areas of interest are just better for Alltel if the original poster wants the most EVDO coverage where he'll be spending time.

edit: If everyone you know with Sprint claims to get poorer coverage, then that is usually the best gauge of how they will do in your area. Those people are the ones that travel in the exact same area as you and can be the most help regarding how strong of a signal you will get.

8. xenophon

xenophon Member

^Sprint does have the largest EVDO and RevA coverage. And they roam on Alltel EVDO (Verizon does not). Sprint's voice coverage is actually now larger than Verizon's coverage in many areas as they've been adding CDMA to Nextel sites. And Sprint roams on Verizon 1xRTT, so Sprint has the largest native DO and data network of all (and Alltel with roaming). It's not perception, it can be measured.

I think people are buying into FUD or old information on Sprint. They've added thousands of towers lately and are adding 4K more this year on Nextel sites. They have more capacity for data and now have much broader voice/data coverage.

Verizon claims of 'most reliable' has no unbiased released study with objective measurements. It's their marketing term and it works.

If you want fastest performance and broadest data coverage, Sprint is winning. Verizon doesn't have the capacity and Cingular's current HSDPA rarely gets over 1Mbps and is in much fewer markets. Alltel is good on coverage (when roaming) but not good speed and no RevA.

http://www.dslreports.com/archive/spcsdns.net
    http://www.dslreports.com/archive/myvzw.com
    http://www.dslreports.com/archive/mycingular.net

9. ComicalMoodyDan

ComicalMoodyDan Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    I've been looking at Alltel EVDO since Verizon canceled me for using their "Unlimited" service too much. I've been HIGHLY unimpressed with Alltel, first of all they don't offer EVDO in my area although from what I'm hearing they may soon. How ignorant the reps have been on data plans and options though has really turned me off to Alltel though.

I went by the Kingsport, TN store the other day and they just seemed so clueless. Anything that wasn't printed on a sheet that they could look at they had no clue about. I also spoke to Alltel on the phone this morning via their sales line and I got the most stupid woman. She didn't even know what EVDO was at first but finally figured it out, even when she did I was informed that I had to have a voice line with Alltel to get the data card which is totally false. I corrected her on this matter and heard some keyboard use and then she corrected herself. From my experience getting a rep at Alltel that I'm surprised can use the bathroom by themselves is quite common.

Sprint's customer service isn't the best but my grandmother use to have Alltel and the customer service was more like Allhell. 30+ minutes of wait hold times on the phone half the time to finally get somebody that was either rude or stupid or sometimes a little bit of both. If I had to rank Alltel's cusotmer service I'd have to say its at the bottom of the list for cell phone companys.

10. UFO

UFO Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Palm Centro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint and alltel
    And Alltel also roams on Sprint EVDO and Verizon 1x and has a larger native network, geography wise than anybody. A lot of that is because they focus on the more rural parts of the southeast and places other won't touch.

The big thing is, when dealing with the roaming agreements though, is that you won't switch over to a roaming signal until your native signal is gone. And I keep hearing larger data network in regards to Sprint, which is a really nice slogan to sell data. But in the areas of question, it is Alltel that has the better built out data network. The maps of the Panhandle, where the op spends time, shows a huge difference. In many of the larger markets Sprint has focused on nationwide, you'll be able to use that signal anyway. So to me, it just seems like an easy 1. Alltel, 2. Sprint distinction, especially with the coverage problems the people you know with Sprint have in your area.

TNDan, I do agree, in Kingsport my experience in the Alltel store has been bad. The reps do seem pushy and uninformed and I have talked to several people that feel the same way. I generally tell people that ask me about it if they ever think about switching to Alltel in Kingsport, do it at the Wal-Mart. The young man that was working there last summer had Alltel and was much more knowledgable about the plans which is sad to say. Also, Kingsport is not an Alltel EVDO area but when it becomes one later this summer, I do hope the reps receive the proper training and also learn how to deal with customers. But with all the reps I've asked questions, dealt with data, changed plans around, and everything else, the Alltel CS is better just about everywhere else. There store on Stone Dr. there in Kingsport right by Sprint is a bad representation of the normal Alltel service that a customer usually gets. I do wish that they were as knowledgable there as the reps that I normally deal with on the eastern side of VA. And I did experience a 30+ min hold time in Dec. regarding pre-pay. But Alltel's pre-pay customer service is outsourced to Sykes. Last summer, it was not uncommon to have about a 10 min hold time. But here the last few times I've called, it's always been in less than 5 mins with no wait the last time right around the busy part of the day. I even called up data tech support once to test the wait time but there was none, it would probably be best to always direct data questions to them, even if you've got questions about getting data.

#40 UFO, Apr 9, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2007
  11. stedesco

stedesco New Member

God you guys really are giving me GREAT info, I believe some understand what my needs are, and others are still a bit confused. I am sure Sprint is good nationwide, however they are not good in the areas I would be in.

So EDVO is 3G, and 3G is equal to DSL?

Some ppl got confused, I am not looking for a data card for my laptop, I am looking to use the PDA to surf the web, get email, view/save/edit office attachments etc. The reason I mentioned WIFI, is I figured if I am in a hot-spot I could have really quick upload/download speeds from my PDA.

I am not sure anyone answered my question of the Alltel and Cingular merger. I know they merged as a company...but are they in the process of merging technologies...and will just have one store instead of a Alltel store and a Cingular store?

With Alltel..if your not in a "blue" area what do you fall back on? And do they have alot of agreements made with other carriers on roaming on their networks? I understand the only way you could get on others, is if you have zero coverage under Alltels network.

One more thing..Alltels quickest network is EDVO correct? When i began this search awhile back I thought I saw they had an even faster system, but was limited to only 20 or so markets (I could be confused with another carrier)

THANKS AGAIN!!!!

12. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    Hi,

Yes, EVDO can be compared to a DSL line. Speeds are usually around 400-700kbps, with boost up to 2 megs.
    ALLTEL and Cingular did not merge- AT&T Wireless and Cingular merged a couple of years ago, but ALLTEL is still it's own company.
    ALLTEL does have great nationwide roaming agreements- overall ALLTEL will give you service in most places of this country (with their roaming agreements), and your DATA will work while roaming on many networks- Sprint is the only network where you will have EVDO roaming, while you will have 1x data roaming on other carriers. Hope this helps.

13. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Isn't everything that every carrier says including Cingular pretty much marketing lies and hype? ;)

I vote for Sprint as having the fastest data plans and lower cost service. I've seen plenty of evidence around to support that.

14. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    Overall I agree as well that Sprint generally is faster across the country than Verizon from the evidence that we have seen and their cost is low, but the OP says that Sprint native coverage in his area is not the best. I think most importantly is the coverage in the area the OP finds himself most of the time- if Sprint is not good enough, it's no use to him that Sprint has lower cost, or on average, better speed test results.
    ALLTEL's network is better in his immediate area and ALLTEL data roams on Sprint EVDO outside their area so he won't notice the difference in other markets but have better service in his immediate area.

15. strunke

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Yes 3G is about equal to DSL.
    The only PDA phone with wifi is the ppc 6700. Kind of a bulky phone but not unbearable, the Q is really nice also, although the reception indicator is tricky, people have said it will sometimes show only 1 bar where phones like the e815 showed 3, but it is still able to make very clear calls. The ppc 6700, the treos, have touch screens, the black berry's and the q do not they have the scroll wheel....I believe all of them come with microsoft office mobile, maybe not the non-windows treo....I would look at the smart choice plans here are some details....
    Includes:
    * My Circle (10 free numbers incoming and outgoing)
    * Unlimited Messaging
    * Unlimited Mobile-to-Mobile
    * Unlimited Night and Weekend Minutes starting at 7 p.m.
    * Unlimited Data including tethering to pc
    $69.99 for 500 minutes (no My Circle and 9pm nights)
    $89.99 for 500 minutes
    $109.99 for 1200 minutes
    $139.99 for 2000 minutes
    $189.99 for 5500 mintues
    Well Cingular and Alltel are separate, their is some speculation about a sprint/alltel or alltel/verizon merger/buyout. But just speculation right now.
    Yes, they having free (to the customer) roaming agreements with almost every carrier in the US. Ones not included would be Appalachian Wireless, small area in Kentucky, and a carrier in Washington state? I think.....Those are the biggest areas where it is pay roam. The major carriers it has agreements with are Verizon, Sprint, US Cellular, Bluegrass Wireless, etc. You can force your phone onto other networks if you want to but it isn't just changing a setting it's a little more involved....
    Yes EVDO is the fastest available from Alltel right now. They will have rev a. evdo which improves upload speeds eventually as well. Verizon and Sprint have some rev a networks out already, not in Tampa, but in quite a few areas.
    I think the carrier you were confusing with was Cingular.
    Your welcome!

16. T Sizzles

T Sizzles Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 3G 8GB
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T Mobility
    I have Cingular and it works great in the Miami/Ft. Lauderdale/West Palm Beach areas when I'm there. I never fall off of the 3G network unless I hit a dead spot along I-95, but that rarely happens. Never tried it in Tampa, but the map shows that they have pretty good coverage there. I also like that you can tether your 3G phone to your laptop, and not have to buy a Card. I have a new laptop, which uses ExpressCards, opposed to PCMCIA cards. When I wanted to get a card for my laptop, Cingular was not selling ExpressCards yet, and my only option was to fork over $275 to Dell for their HSDPA ExpressCard. Instead, I got a BlackJack and tethered that to my laptop. Saved me $100 and I love it. I recommend Alltel, Cingular, or Verizon. I have tried Sprint myself, and it isn't that great. Slower than my current Cingular service.

17. UFO

UFO Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Palm Centro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint and alltel
    Ok, there have been some recent changes to Alltel's data roaming and I'll try and explain them as clearly as I can and sorry if it gets worded poorly.

Last Monday, for all Smartphones/PDAs and Wireless Cards, Alltel released a new Preferred Roaming List, #40007. It is no longer completely true that the only way you can get on another network is if you have zero coverage under Alltel's network. For the Smartphones and Wireless Cards for Data, the roaming order is: 1. Alltel EVDO, 2. Sprint EVDO, 3. Alltel 1x, 4. Sprint 1x, 5. Verizon 1x, etc. depending on local providers.

So on your pda for high speed data, you will be able to get an EVDO signal wherever there is one offered by either Alltel or Sprint.

But if you were to make a voice call on a PDA, and you were for example in an area of Sprint EVDO and Alltel 1x, the phone would switch over to Alltel to place the call since calls don't utilize the EVDO network. The roaming order for voice calls would essentially be 1. Alltel, 2. Sprint, 3. Verizon, etc.

So if you are on a 'blue' area of the map, you will hit Alltel EVDO. However, for the purple areas, you may be on Sprint EVDO (because the map hasn't been updated yet), Alltel 1x, Sprint 1x, or Verizon 1x. With the new changes, the Alltel map should show EVDO everywhere that Sprint has EVDO and give you the benefits of high speed 3G of either provider.

And yes, EVDO is the fastest that Alltel has, but you may have thought that it was limited to 20 cities for Alltel because it probably was at this time last year. Within the last year, Alltel has aggressively expanded its EVDO network from only the largest cities they covered (including Tampa and Cleveland) to a large percentage of their network. At this time last year, Tallahassee was not EVDO, but now, most of the Panhandle is for example. So is most of Nebraska as strange as that sounds. Go figure.

18. Dogma

Dogma Senior Member

My Phone:
    Moto Razr
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel/Verizon
    Thats a laugher.....As far as I'm concerned 75% or better of customer reps from "any carrier" are poorly trained!:p

19. RadioRaiders

RadioRaiders RF Black-Belt

Wireless Provider(s):
    GSM / WCDMA /LTE
    In Switzerland I averaged a little over 1 Mbps with HSDPA. In Australia I got around 3 Mbps. It depends on what software release (ie: modulation) the operator has, and what category your phone/device is. I'm not sure what Cingular has, but I'd imagine rates of 1 Mbps should be normal.

HSDPA

CAT Codes Modulation [Mbit/s]
    1 5 QPSK and 16-QAM 1.2
    2 5 QPSK and 16-QAM 1.2
    3 5 QPSK and 16-QAM 1.8
    4 5 QPSK and 16-QAM 1.8
    5 5 QPSK and 16-QAM 3.6
    6 5 QPSK and 16-QAM 3.6
    7 10 QPSK and 16-QAM 7.3
    8 10 QPSK and 16-QAM 7.3
    9 15 QPSK and 16-QAM 10.2
    10 15 QPSK and 16-QAM 14.4
    11 5 QPSK only 0.9
    12 5 QPSK only 1.8

20. strunke

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular's is not as fast as what is in Europe right now. So far the average speeds are 400 to 700 kbps. Both EVDO and HSPDA here have bursts, evdo can be up to 2.4 mbps, I'm not sure what hspda's is.

21. RadioRaiders

RadioRaiders RF Black-Belt

Wireless Provider(s):
    GSM / WCDMA /LTE