Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Who has canceled home phone & uses cellular exclusively?

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by French, May 13, 2004.

1. Dan

Dan Junior Member

Just yesterday, I cancelled my landline phone and went cell (VRW) only.

This may sound a bit strange, but your age may play a part as to how you can deal with this.

Think of it this way: I had a landline number for 45 years.

This number was a part of my being, in the same way as your SS # is a part of your life.

I've have also had a Verizon Wireless cell # for a mere three years.

I am cutting my life style to the minimun! So I decide to kill the landline number!

Do I keep (port) my 45 year old tattooed landline number: the number that connects me to my world?

Or do I sever all ties with my past....and keep my VRW cell number which very few people even know about?

I cancel my landline number and tell them to "port" that number to my cell phone. I just cannot (due to my age) walk away from that 45 year old number!

It's like letting a family member....die!

I cannot do it!

Then (the next day) I see some guy on TV explain how I just made a very, very big mistake.

He says to me (and everybody)....by keeping my "embedded/contaminated" landline number, I have just "agreed' to pay for all the thousands of telemarketing minutes that I will have stupidly brought over to my new, one and only cell phone!

And I must now pay, to hear their stupid one minute pitches before I close the phone. Whereas before, I was only annoyed, but did not have to pay for the call!

I immediately call back and cancel my landline port number and go completely "cold turkey'!

I keep my wireless number.

Forty five years of the same landline number that has been my life, goes up in smoke.

When all those people, who knew me by that tattoo number, try to reach me: I will have died!

It is a bit wierd (at a certain age) to be sitting in your house and to know that only about 120 people on the face of the planet could reach you by phone....... and the other five billion people could not find you.....by phone.

What can I say?

It is an age thing.

Dan

2. pcardoza

pcardoza Junior Member

I think your final decision was the mistake. Benig on the Federal Do Not Call List, I would be surprised if I receive 5 telemarketing calls per month! I have no problem with those 5 minutes beig added to my usage. And...... Everyone else can still reach me!!!!! I'm amazed at how effective the Do Not Call list has been. Never would hasve expected it.

3. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie
    Super Moderator Junior Member Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 13 Pro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, AT&T Prepaid
    Even if you are not on the Do Not Call List, if you tell a telemarketer they have reached you on a cell phone they must remove your number from their list. Telemarkers are not permitted to knowingly call cell phones for the very reason that the recipient must "pay" for the call.