Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Who has canceled home phone & uses cellular exclusively?

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by French, May 13, 2004.

1. French

French New Member

Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    This might not belong here specifically, but I'll give it a shot.

How many of you have canceled your home phone altogether and survive using just cellular? We are seriously considering this as we have a teen at home and the phone rings NON stop for him, and telemarketers. We are kind of getting tired of it. We pay $40/month for the home phone and while we do have caller ID, that's all we have. No call waiting, no three way calling, no call forwarding.

I'm thinking if I put that extra $40 into my cellular plan, not only would we have a ton more calling features, but it would increase our minutes to where I think we would have enough. Skid (step kid) has been very responsible on our family share plan, being careful to never go over his allotted minutes (we give him 150, but we have verizon to verizon calling, and he also is conscientious to call after 9:00 or on weekends). If we went with a higher plan I'm figuring we could could upgrade him to about 300 minutes.

Anyway, what are your thoughts? Anyone done it and not happy? Anyone done it and very happy?

2. pcardoza

pcardoza Junior Member

I made the leap back in December and don't regret it for a moment. Dumped my Verizon Landline and ported the number to AT&T Wireless. Here's a couple of things to watch out for........

Be absolutely certain that you get good coverage from the carrier you choose INSIDE your home.

If you are going to port your current number over, DO NOT cancel your old service. When the number transfers, it will cancel the old service automatically.

Strongly consider signing up for a plan that offers free/unlimited Mobile-to-Mobile calling. That will be significant if you expect to do much calling between yourselves.

The only downsides I can think of so far:
    You can't have multiple phones in the house so when it rings, you have to chase it down, wherever it is.

During a recent power failure, when a landline would continue to work, I could only get intermittent Cellular signals. I don't know if it was because the towers were out or if everyone just jumped on their cells, overloading the system.

3. twopiece

twopiece D'oh!!

My Phone:
    Motorola Droid Pro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    My home phone service is completely stripped down- not a thing and it's $19.00-$20.00 a month with Verizon. For that price I've decided to keep my landline as a backup with a corded phone.

I've always wondered if you begin putting your mobile number on everything (CC, bank, etc.) won't they call you on your cell phone? The worst calls I get are from my CC companies that ask me to try out their auto/health/life insurance, do a balance transfer, and all that other stuff.

4. rich6880

rich6880 Senior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 3589i
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I would like to make the change, but have two big reservations:

No matter which carrier and phone, cell quality will never be at par to landline.

I have to pay for incomming calls as well as outgoing.

Anyone have ideas on these areas, please post

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. French

French New Member

Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    For me, I know we have good coverage in the house. In fact, we currently only use our cells for long distance. Haven't used a landline for long distance in over 2 years.

We won't be porting our home phone...we already have all our cell phone numbers.

I've read where some people have been turned down for credit for not providing a home, land line phone number.

I've also worried some about the telemarketing calls. I give out my work number for the majority of the stuff I have to fill out, and can say that yes...I do get some calls. But not many. Like maybe 3 or 4 a month. I think I can live with that. Plus, you can sign your cell number up for the national do not call list (which I have done).

Pcardoza: How much do you think your minutes increased by? 25%? 50%? 100%? 150%?

Sounds like I should also look into getting my home phone line service "stripped" down. The only problem is we feel like we NEED the caller ID and telemarketing block for our sanity. I'm afraid if we remove those features the home phone will become more frustrating than it is now.

I had not given consideration to "emergency" type situations. But I have heard of situations (9/11) where the landline was actually the only way to get through.

Thanks for the feedback so far...would love to hear more.

6. NokiaKrazy

NokiaKrazy 2010. I'm still around

My Phone:
    Blackberry
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    My landline consists of Caller ID, Call Fowarding and DSL. Thats all.

7. kranium007

kranium007 Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    The Network
    make sure the service is good enough in your house

be sure that you want to receive ALL calls on the cell phones (telemarketers, and other such companies) if you do, make sure you have plenty of extra minutes just for those calls.

other than that you should be fine. just make sure you are going onto a plan that will allow enough minutes for your calling plus extra for those unwanted calls. the problem with doing this with multiple lines is that you will end up spending a bit more than expected after raising your peak minutes and especially after taxes.

8. willycox420

willycox420 Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 6820
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T Wireless
    Switch all your landline services over to AT&T wireless. if you switch dont cancel your home phone right away make sure the phone works where you need it too first. if you want to keep your homephone number you can allways port it after the fact. if you go with a national family plan with AT&T a plan i might reccomend is $79.99 1050 daytime minutes, unlimited M2M calling to any AT&T wireless customer not just others on your account like verizon wireless. Plus with that plan you get unlimited nights and weekends that start at 7pm!!!! AT&T has a 30 day return policy as well, dont like the service dont like your phone cancel or exchange before 30 days no problems!! if you have any questions abotu AT&T wireless or would like to try the service you can E-mail me at john.wilcox@attws.com

9. pcardoza

pcardoza Junior Member

Well, I had my Verizon Cell (400min AC Plan?) and Verizon Landline and was paying a total of ~$90/mo. I Ported the landline to AT&T on the GSM National Plan ($39) with 600min Unlimited M2M and Free N&W and then cancelled my VZW cell. Now I'm paying $45/mo. total. We are not heavy users, so I'm typically using 300 - 400min per month, maybe 100min more than before the switch. I'm on the Do Not Call list for telemarketers and maybe get 5 junk calls per month, so I don't see this as a problem. For my $45/mo savings, I think I can deal with the potential issues of access during a power outage or other such problem. If the world comes to an end, I'll run next door and use one of the neighbors' phones.

Again, IMO, the primary issue is ensuring that you receive a solid signal throughout your home. If you do, I would not hesitate to go for it.

10. WirelessBeachBum

WirelessBeachBum Soylent Green is People

My Phone:
    Thunderbolt...still
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW

When you get that call just tell them it's your cellular number, and please don't call it. (Telemarketers are prohibited from calling Cellular numbers.)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. French

French New Member

Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Thank you everyone for the feedback.

I know coverage is fine...I've had my service for years now and no complaints. Also, I can't switch to AT&T at this time as I do have a 2-year contract with Verizon, but I'm happy with Verizon. And Verizon does have customer to customer plans now, which we are on. So I can call anyone who is a Verizon cellular customer and talk "for free" (unlimited), including my own family. But AT&T does sound like it has the advantage with nights starting at 7:00 p.m.

I'm not a heavy phone user. Neither is my husband. It's the kid.

We might just have to bite the bullet and do it.

The only other issue I haven't gotten feedback on is if anyone has had trouble getting credit approvals without a land line to reference on applications.

12. jones

jones Silver Senior Member

There's no Substitute for LandLine realibility.

13. NYCDru

NYCDru Sprint Newbie

My Phone:
    Motrola V3m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint, Verizon(former), ATT(former),
    In that case getting him his own line WILL!!! be cheaper. Just tewll him he goes over, he pays not just the overage charges, but that entire bill. It woill keep him real responcible.

14. WirelessBeachBum

WirelessBeachBum Soylent Green is People

My Phone:
    Thunderbolt...still
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW

That is one point that I believe will be changing soon, currently some credit scoring agencies require a landline to run credit, (Verizon Wireless does) with LNP being able to port landline numbers to wireless, I believe that this requirement will have to be changed.

15. willycox420

willycox420 Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 6820
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T Wireless
    here at AT&T wireless we run credit checks without home phoine numbers and it works just fine. in the past 5 months i have ran many, more than 50 and there has been no issue.

16. French

French New Member

Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    This is great feedback. Thank you everyone.

As far as the credit checks...I had heard of someone not getting a car loan. That's a big item. I would think a mortgage might also be an issue.

What's LPN? (Sorry...this might be a stupid question).

17. Rasputin

Rasputin Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Apple Iphone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    ATT, Verizon
    Mine is barebones, also, more for my DSL than anything else and my so so coverage downstairs with Verizon Wireless.

18. cryogenic

cryogenic Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung A990
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I've been cell-only for about a year now and don't regret it one bit. Sprint covers my area quite well, so coverage is not an issue and not spending the gobs of money Bellsouth wants to charge for a landline has been nice. We use comcast cable for our internet service now. None of us ever talked on the landline much anyway, to be honest, so we figured why not switch to cable and ditch the landline. One thing you MIGHT want to look into is switching to a carrier that will give you 7pm nights, as that will save a TON of daytime minutes. 2 hrs a day, 5 days a week... that's a big difference. I have it on my Sprint phone and I use almost no daytime minutes in a given month, mostly because of my work schedule. :)

19. jones

I don't get DROP calls on my Landline.

20. Dharmster

Dharmster Junior Member

I haven't switched yet for a number of reasons:

1) My cordless phone is so much easier to hold and dial. I can also talk longer on it, oh and the quality is better.
    2) I'm forgetful and sometimes forget to charge my cordless phone so the landline is a great backup
    3) My local phone service through Cavalier Telephone (a competetive local exchange carrier in the mid atlantic region) is $34 a month with all the taxes for unlimited local calling with caller ID and call waiting (I could cut it to $24 by dropping caller ID An all waiting). I'm on the T-Mobile $39.99 GET MORE plan. In order to cut my landline, I'd have to go to the $59.99 T-Mobile plan so my savings when taxes are included would would be less than $15 a month.
    4) Right now I have cable modem for my home internet. However, I tend to switch back and forth depending upon who has the best deal. One has to have a landline in order to have DSL.

21. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I've had 7 in 12 months on my cell phone, never at home though. I had no problem ditching my landline. I just ported the number over so everyone can still call the same number and I get the convenience of taking my phone with me all the time.

22. Fire14

Fire14 Easy,Cheap & Sleazy

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Yes they will call you on everything on your cell. You can also enter your cell number on the Do-Not-Call list to help prevent telemarketers from calling you.

23. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    This is exactly why I ditched my landline. I was paying $16/mo to SBC for a line in which I was charged for each outgoing call (so I never made any). I now pay Sprint $20/mo as a 3rd line on my acct. for that same phone number and I can make outgoing calls, I get call waiting, caller ID, three-way calling, free LD, etc.

24. NYCDru

NYCDru Sprint Newbie

My Phone:
    Motrola V3m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint, Verizon(former), ATT(former),
    I live at home with my parents and they will NEVER ditch there land line which is ok because we have DSL also. I will probably ALWAYS have a landline just in case.( The blackout of 2003 anybody?)

25. pcardoza

pcardoza Junior Member

Seems like pretty expensive "insurance" against a power outage.......

26. jones

What I don't understand is Why even if you Stay Below your allowed Minutes You still get this:

Service Charges 6.99
    Usage Charges 2.55
    Taxes & Surcharges 1.55
    :confused:

27. jones

plus this

Federal Excise Tax 2.13
    Federal Universal Service Fund 0.97
    State Sales Tax 4.26

28. budney

budney Resident Headbanger

My Phone:
    iPhone 6s+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Blame your local, state, federal goverments for those fees & taxes. If you want to see them go down, move to a different state. :)

29. jones

How do you explain this?

New York State has collected $440 million since 1991 in special taxes on cellphones. But only about $30 million of that has gone to the program named on most cellphone bills as the purpose of the tax: enhanced 911 service, which can help police, fire and ambulance dispatchers.

30. budney

budney Resident Headbanger

My Phone:
    iPhone 6s+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Two words! greedy / corrupt ;)