Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

who has bigger coverage

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by Guest, Jul 12, 2002.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

hi,
    who has bigger coverage and network Nextel or Sprint
    Tutsi

2. dobby10

dobby10 Senior Member

Hmmmm, thats a tough one. I would say Sprint covers more area. BUT, the areas Nextel does cover has fewer gaps than Sprint.

3. ComicalMoodyDan

ComicalMoodyDan Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    I'd have to agree with Dobby, I'd say overall there both about equal coverage wise. Nextel being better for some and Sprint PCS being better for others.

4. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    If selection and quantity of phone offerings are of any importance then Sprint easily wins.

5. ComicalMoodyDan

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    That's true most of Nextel's phones are ugly and bulky, a lot of them seem to have below average talk time and standby times too. Sprint PCS has much better phone's.

6. Guest

Guest Guest

though I'm a Cingular user myself I must say I seriously considered both Sprint and Nextel (my contract is up with Cingular this month actually).

If I were going to switch from Cingular (probably not since it fits my use well) I would probably take Nextel.

Nextel has unlimited incoming plans... so since I don't have or want a land line at home, this would be great for me. They also offer (last I looked) actual unlimited N&W... also great for land line haters like me... They also looked to have a decent wireless web offering... for $90/mo I could get a phone that offered me everything I needed, including unlimited direct connect... which would be great for me since I'd get one for my girl too...

Sprint seems to have pretty decent coverage, and definitely has a great selection of phones... but I rejected them because they don't have unlimited N&W (nor does Cingular if I lose my grandfathered plan...). I really don't need more than a couple thousand minutes... but since I don't want any other phone in my personal life, I like the open-ended idea of UNLIMITED minutes... this is why Nextel holds such strong appeal to me... plus I am a big fan of Motorola equipment... if you don't like Motorola, don't get Nextel...

The biggest drawback to Nextel, IMO is lack of analog support... Nextel seems to have great service if you can get it... but there is no analog to back you up if you travel to a more remote area... also, direct connect only works connecting to others in your area, not Nextel customers across the country... another thing to consider.

I know less about Sprint... but I have a friend who has Sprint and she doesn't complain any more than I do about my Cingular as far as service goes... Supposedly they've got award-winning coverage if you want to use it in NYC... I'm a Central Jersey guy and I rarely travel... so just about any service would work OK for me.

Good luck.

7. Jack

Jack Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    Dan: The new line of nextel phones are not big and bulky. The old ones were extremely big and bulky

these come to mind:
    i90/i95
    i85
    i1000

Jack

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. ComicalMoodyDan

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    The i90/i95's are nice phones but there just so expensive. The rest of Nextel's phones I am not impressed with though. I think Nextel is a great company I'm not knocking them but I still believe they are more for a business user base with their high standards for credit checks, more expensive rate plans, and more espensive phones.

They seem to be going to more of a consumer base lately though and their prices do appear to be going down. I think that's a smart move.

9. Scalici26

Scalici26 Senior Member

IMO i wouls choose Sprint over Nextel. I had Nextel for 3 months before i terminated my contract because the service was so poor (NYC Area). I then tried Sprint and i LOVE IT!!!! Coverage is awesome, very few dropped calls, cool phones, and their plans aren't to bad. Also with Sprint, if you buy a dual-band phone, you can roam onto an analog network if a digital one isn't present or in my case i can roam on to a digital or analgo network ( i have the Motorola Timeport P8767)

10. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Scalici26,

Have you been able to digital roam with your Motorola Timeport? There's another poster in the forum who says it's not possible.

11. Guest

Guest Guest

gsm coverage is improving

TMobile

12. zeeker

zeeker Junior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8800
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile, Cingular
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  13. ComicalMoodyDan

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Umm how did we get into GSM coverage on here?

The Topic is about Nextel and Sprint PCS, neither of them use GSM. Let's get back on track here.

14. Mooby

Mooby Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sanyo 8200
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint PCS, Prior-Verizon FreeUp
    I've noticed in other threads, people have been talking about GSM/voice stream for no apparent reason. I've got no problem with people plugging Voicesteam but don't just blindly do it. If it's not relevant, don't bring it up.

15. Jack

Jack Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    Larry

It is possible to digital roam with the timeport and have seen it done

Jack

16. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    << Larry

It is possible to digital roam with the timeport and have seen it done

Jack
    >>

Jack,

Tell that to "theyallstink". For some reason he refuses to believe any Sprint tri-modes can digital roam.

Larry

17. Guest

Guest Guest

<< Umm how did we get into GSM coverage on here?

The Topic is about Nextel and Sprint PCS, neither of them use GSM. Let's get back on track here.
    >>

the topic was WHO HAS BIGGER COVERAGE. Since both has small coverage GSM should be included....

18. Scalici26

Scalici26 Senior Member

Larry,
    Yes it is possible to roam to Digital Roam with the Timeport. I believe that the phone searches for a digital before it goes to analog. I have seen my phone roam on to a digital network.

19. Guest

Guest Guest

<< I've noticed in other threads, people have been talking about GSM/voice stream for no apparent reason. I've got no problem with people plugging Voicesteam but don't just blindly do it. If it's not relevant, don't bring it up. >>

you mean as in a pop up stalker?