Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Whitworth is calling for big changes in Sprint Nextel

Discussion in 'Wireless News' started by jones, Apr 12, 2007.

1. jones

jones Silver Senior Member

Activist Investor Ralph Whitworth Takes $500 Million Sprint Stake, Pushes for Change -- WSJ

Activist investor Ralph Whitworth's Relational Investors firm has quietly amassed a $500 million stake (1%) in Sprint Nextel Corp., Wall Street Journal reports citing unnamed sources. In meetings with management, Whitworth is calling for big changes, including capital spending pullbacks and a sale of Sprint's fiber-optic networking and long-distance units. Sprint shares have lost about 25% since its August 2005 merger with Nextel as the company continues to lose customers to rivals AT&T and Verizon -- whose shares have gained 60% and 9% respectively over the same period. Many investors say management has been too slow to implement post-merger changes. Sprint's promised WiMax network, scheduled to begin rolling out late this year, is supposed to double wireless broadband speeds, but Whitworth views WiMax as a overly speculative cash flow drain. The Journal says Sprint shares will likely jump on the news, but questions whether Whitworth can help boost the company's performance in the long-term.

http://wireless.seekingalpha.com/article/32117

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. blsemp

blsemp Senior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 900
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t
    Did the fiber and the Long Distance service go with Sprint or Embarq at the time of the split?

3. TelcomJunkie

TelcomJunkie Bad Handoff Investigator

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Big Brother
    They retained the fiber optic network. Why you'd want to sell off the fiber optic network when you're about to deploy WiMax I don't know. It seems like I'd want to be in control of the bandwidth, not having to pay someone else.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. clock3687

clock3687 Cell Signal?????? Use it!

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Google Nexus S
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    It looks like sprint kept the fiber network and the long distance service went over to embarq. Sprint offers fiber to businesses and they advertise that on their website. There is no sign of longdistance on the sprint website so im giuessing that network went to Embarq. Damn TJ beat me to it. :browani:

5. blsemp

blsemp Senior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 900
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t
    Sounds like Gary Forsee got to cherry pick the most valuable assets when he split the company up.

:D :D