Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Which Vzn model has best range?

Discussion in 'Verizon Wireless Forum' started by FredH38, Apr 22, 2008.

1. FredH38

FredH38 New Member

My Startac has finally broke (case cracked and sometimes works...sometimes not). I have been holding onto it as a Verizon tech one time told me that it worked better in the boondocks than most of the newer ones and it was a tri-mode. We travel in a motorhome and have often been in areas of no or very weak reception. Last summer, we were often in areas where we could only get analog signals...don't know how that will work out now that Verizon has dropped analog.

I have not found a way of comparing models by transmission, receiption abilities. This is very important to us. In fact, I have been having problems using the 'Compare' option which is supposted to compare certain phone features. I have yet to make that work. I click / check mark several phones on that page, but can't seem to get it to give me a side by side comparison.

Any suggestions on the 'Compare' option and any input on service ranges of the different models being currently offered?

2. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Well dont worry about tri mode that means it can run off of analog which has been for the most part turned off. Really wont gain anything.

3. FredH38

FredH38 New Member

Yes I know that the Trimode is history as far as Verizon is concerned, but we spend 6-7 months a year traveling in areas that tend to be in areas of poor cell coverage, so very interested in models that have the best receiption.

Re-read my original post and see that I was not clear that I am having problems with Verizon's web site that purports to compare selected phones features. For some reason, I haven't be able to make it work. Unfortunately, range/receiption, is not covered by Verizon, so I am hoping that users out there can add their experiences.

4. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    If you are looking for the best range I would either get a Motorola or Nokia phone. The older Motorola V710's and E815's worked quite well. I'm not sure how well the current Razr models compare to the older models though. You may also be interested in getting an external antenna, and possibly an amplifier or repeater for your phone.

-Jay

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. leafsfan81

leafsfan81 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Getting the additional equipment such as an amplifier or a repeater will likely be your only options to help with coverage in fringe areas. As analog is turned off in areas [it is just being phased out over time, correct?] you'll hit a few dead spots here and there.

Most of what people will consider a phone with good coverage will base their experiences and usage on suburban living - not RV'ing for 6 months out of the year.

6. FredH38

FredH38 New Member

Thanks for the input. I am just getting up to speed on the current status of cell phones...my
    StarTak held out for a long time.

How are external antennas, etc attached to phones that have fixed antennas?

Any recommendations on extenal antennas and amplifers?

Not sure what a repeater is and how if would help me.

We generaly stay in one place as little as one night to two weeks, seldom longer than that.

#6 FredH38, Apr 23, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2008
  7. Buickman

Buickman Gearhead/Gadget freak

My Phone:
    BB 9550, Moto Droid
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon on both phones
    V710 and E815 were the best, unfortunately you can't get them anymore. My E815 just died about a month ago and I had to replace it. I settled on a Moto RIZR Z6tv. It is not the "workhorse" that the E815 was, but it seems to perform quite well. I just wish that it had an external antenna port like the E815. From what I have seen the VZW RAZR phones do not perform the best for reception. As an added note here, I spend a lot time in rural northern MN with my phones, so that is where my experiences come from. I haven't had a chance to really push the RIZR as far as reception goes, (there are a few areas where a E815 was the only phone that would work) but so far it has performed well.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. FredH38

FredH38 New Member

Does anyone have an experience with the LG enV2 in general and specifically range/receiption?

I have looked at the features/specifications, such as they are or that I have found, and it looks like it could do the job, though I have a question on the meaning of "EMS/picture messaging" and "MMS"

We are thinking of getting one fairly well equiped phone for one of us and a lower model for the other, with speaker phone, camera, Blue Tooth for headset. (hands free now required in NJ).
    Unfortunately, Verizon is not likely to have an attractive two phone package of the phones that I might chose. :mad:

9. Jay2TheRescue

My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410

Some phones have an external antenna connector. Its located on the back of the phone, usually behind a small rubber plug about the side of the eraser on the end of a pencil. You can have the external antenna mounted on the RV, and plug the phone into it when needed.

An amplifier would have an external antenna mounted on the RV, it would go into an amplifier, and then plug into the phone.

A repeater has an external antenna connected to an amplifier. This amplifier would be connected to another antenna inside the RV where it would re-broadcast the signal. You would not have to plug the phone into any antenna cable. This is the easiest solution, but the most expensive.

We have a member here, MaximumSignal, who deals an all 3 of these types of setups. If you were to PM him he might be able to assist you further in choosing the right solution for your area/carrier/budget.

-Jay

10. Buickman

Buickman Gearhead/Gadget freak

My Phone:
    BB 9550, Moto Droid
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon on both phones
    Verizon has very few phones left that have that anymore. :mad: It was one of my main criteria when I was shopping for my new phone, but I had to give up on it because the I didn't want any of the few models that had it. I was in the same situation as the OP here (I want my E815 back!) and unfortunately there is no real good solution from Verizon right now. I've been looking at those passive amps like MaximumSignal sells.

11. Jay2TheRescue

My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    I'm not quite sure how many models have this external antenna connetor, but every phone I currently have, and all of my past phones with the exception of my TDMA StarTac had external antenna ports. Granted, most of them are Motorola phones, but my 2 HTC phones also have external antenna ports.

-Jay

12. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    The Env 2 is not readily available yet, there are a small amount of people who have gotten it I would jump to HOFO and look there.

You can go to phonescoop dot com and compare phones there.

When looking at the website what phones do you like give us a couple and we can go from there.

13. FredH38

FredH38 New Member

RJB, could you explain what 'HOFO' stands for? I am not familiar with that term. As soon as I can, I will try phonescoop.com and see what I can 'dig up', thanks for the link.

Additionally, which manufacturer is refered to by the letters 'HTC'? I have seen it mentioned several times, but I don't who it is.

Thanks, one and all for your input.

14. Jay2TheRescue

My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    HoFo is Howard Forums. HTC stands for Hi Tech Computers. They make windows mobile smartphones and PDA's under many names. They make most Windows Mobile devices on the market, including the AT&T Tilt, and the Treo 750.

-Jay

15. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    If you send me a private message I will provide you with a link to the env 2 information that you might like.
    Thanks Jay for answering this for me.

16. treonaut

treonaut New Member

Palm Treo 755p has the best consistent signal strength, I tested all the smartphone/pda's at a VZW store and compared to my Treo 650. The next was a Samsung i760, and then Motorola Q9m. I'm waiting for the Treo800w to be available and see its signal strength, but it will be first with Sprint, now VZW.

As for other regular phones, look here:

MobileTechReview.com phone reviews: LG,Nokia,Samsung, Sony Ericsson and more

If you can get your hands on the phone, you can obtain the db (decibel) signal strength live, possibly. Here are some instructions on how to obtain the db reading:

http://www.wpsantennas.com/pdf/testmode/FieldTestModes.pdf

good luck.

17. cowboytn

cowboytn New Member

Motorola has the best reception and verizon wireless network is the most reliable.

18. treonaut

treonaut New Member

I agree VZW's network is most reliable. What Motorola phone model are you recommending, and what is its RFFI signal strength reading in decibels compared to other phones at the same location in the building?

I looked at many Motorola phones in the VZW store, and none of them were smartphone/pda like the Treo's. If it was just a plain flip-phone, then it is not of comparable features to smartphone/pda, and doesn't run a mobile operating system like Windows OS 5/6 or Palm OS.

19. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Motorola Q9m / Q9c Specs & Features (Phone Scoop)

20. treonaut

treonaut New Member

The LG Env and LG Env2 had better signal strength than any other regular/flip-phone. We also own the LG Env (along with the Treo 650) and the LG Env does receive pretty good signal strength, both for meters on 1rxTT and EVDO. They even can get a signal from our basement!

I would buy the ENV2 if VZW would provide for a regular/flip phone client software that would integrate with MS Exchange for office mail, and probably chuck the Treo. Well, maybe.