Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Which should I keep? a530 or VX6000

Discussion in 'SAMSUNG' started by ockidd15, Jul 17, 2003.

1. ockidd15

ockidd15 Senior Member

So, I bought both the Samsung a530 and the LG VX6000 so I can personally play with both and see which is better. Unfortunately, I like them both. They each have equal pros & cons, so it makes it harder to choose.

So, if ANYONE was in the same situation as I (ie. had both phones and had to choose), please let me know which phone you chose and how you came to that decision.

I could go into serious detail about how the phones compare, but I'm not sure if many people will be interested. Or, if anyone would like to know any specific comparasons between the two (size, weight, features, quality, etc), let me know. I'd be happy to answer quetsions in detail. Anyway, any insight is appreciated!

2. nlk10010

nlk10010 New Member

ockidd15:

I am in EXACTLY the same situation, albeit at the other end of the country.

I first got a VX-6000, then returned it for the A530, and now I just have come back from getting the VX-6000 back. I had a particularly unpleasant CS experience seeing as how this was my 2nd exchange. I told the rep: look, if you can't do this, fine: then I'll just cancel. But he said no, he could do it, then of course proceeded to take out his miserable life on me. [​IMG] But that's besides the point.

There are adherents of both phones, so it's really a personal preference. The downside to the VX-6000 was its size, camera (yes, camera, I don't need one nor do I enjoy walking around with the latest teen gadget [​IMG] ) and newness, since I KNOW there will be firmware issues. What I loved was the big, bright, beautiful screen, visible in sunlight, and the intuitive, logical operation of the phone itself. Although light it felt sturdy. Everything seemed to work as it should. I could pick a telephone number off the web from my Yahoo! Address book and have the phone dial it perfectly, whether it was in 10, 11 or 12 (with a + prepended) form.

I returned the LG because, again, I didn't need the camera and I thought the Samsung's size would be the deciding factor. Why did I give the Samsung back, after 1 day? Well, again, these are just my preferences, I'm sure the A530 gets as good RF as the LG and it's a fine phone, but: the color screen on the Samsung washes out in daylight and has a noticeably slower refresh rate than the LG. The GetItNow! button is in the center, where an OK or SELECT button should be (IMO). There are several glitches with entering capitals in the phone book and T9 text in general (which, AFAIK, does not have an expandable dictionary). Samsung seems to want to use only 1/2 the screen to display menus, cramping things up. Phone number MUST be entered as 10 digits (no prepending a 1) in order for the name to be displayed on an incoming call. It seems impossible to avoid displaying an empty head with a question mark when a call comes in. When picking a number out of my Yahoo! Address Book it would not dial correctly if the number started with a +. And I didn't like the gold color. OTOH, as I mentioned, the size is smaller and you get TWO batteries as well as a travel charger with the Samsung. The A530 also SEEMS to be more solidly constructed. And many people swear by Samsungs.

If small size is important to you and you aren't bothered by what I think are software glitches, then I'm sure the A530 would be a fine phone for you. I DO prize reception over all but I don't think there's much to choose between them in that regard.

Hope this helps.

=NLK=

3. Mcflip78

Mcflip78 New Member

Lets see, ummm....both phones are actually very good. I myself have the A530 and i like it very much....The reception and call quality is excellent in addition to the exellent battery life as well, plus you get the extended battery in the package too!!!!

I was not thrilled with the color of the A530 but i have since gotten over it. I went to the local Verizon store to take a look at the LG Vx6000 and it is indeed a nice phone! I have heard good things about it and im sure its quality is about the same as the Samsung but the thing i couldn't get over was the size of the LG....its much bigger than the A530 and i myself prefer a smaller phone....that is why i chose to keep the samsung. The A530 does have its software issues and i have heard that new software is only a "few" weeks away to help solve some of these issues.

In the End, Both phones are very good and im sure either one will be a quality choice and you will not be disappointed by either....so to each their own and hope u end happy with whichever phone u choose!!

4. tiktok

tiktok New Member

I've only had my 530 for a day now. Had to return the first model for my second one(software I think). Now that I've got my new one, it seems o.k. for now. Only time will tell.
    I haven't had any experience with the 6000 other than holding one.

5. ceric20

ceric20 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T (Cingular)
    Well i have had both phones. i got the A530 When it first came out in the stores in May, It was a nice phone the 2 batterys it comes with are great. and the size you cant beat. I just sold it on Ebay the other day and i went out and got me the lg 6000. So far i like the Lg better then the 530. The ringers on the 6000 are ALOT louder then on the 530, and i think the menu screens are faster. Im really not big into the camera thing but its cool. imo i think i am going to keep the lg. I really cant wate for PTT to come out i think i would use that more then i am going to use this Camera.