Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Which service best - Text to Europe?

Discussion in 'International Wireless Forum (Including Canada and' started by Casey0999, Jun 3, 2004.

1. Casey0999

Casey0999 New Member

Hello-

Until recently (see thread entitled "Cingular Text Cutbacks" in the Western US forum), I had been reasonably happen with Cingular's SMS service to Europe. But due to various service cutbacks recently, I'm exploring other options.

I'm curious as to people's experiences with other US carriers in handling text messages to/from Europe, especially the UK.

Cingular works, in a flawed manner, to the UK carrier Orange and T-Mobile, and intermittently to BT's O2 and Vodafone. (Virgin and O3 unknown)

Can anyone share their experiences with texting to Western Europe - which carriers work?

Thanks
    Scott

2. GoodmanR

GoodmanR Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Moto v3 Razr
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular (Voice) + T-Mobile (Blackberry)
    T-Mobile is probably your best bet, it seems to be fairly reliable and works to all carriers in W. Europe.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Casey0999

Casey0999 New Member

Ok, thanks!

The only reservation is that I understood T-Mobile in the USA to not be GSM. I kind of wanted to use GSM here, since I have a tri-band (GSM) phone, for use in both here and in Europe. If necessary, though, I'll use a different phone here.

Is T-Mobile GSM here? - not sure.

Thanks again,
    Scott

4. COtech

COtech Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sam. Galaxy SII Skyrocket
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T Mobility
    You could be thinking of Virgin Mobile--GSM in the UK (running on
    T-Mobile) and CDMA in the USA (running on Sprint).

T-Mobile is 1900 MHz GSM in the USA.

COtech

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. SQFreak

SQFreak Moto's Not So Bad Anymore

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Motorola Q9m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    VZW actually can text to Europe pretty well, surprisingly. Check it out at vtext.com.

T-Mobile may still be better, but if you need better coverage or T-Mobile isn't available in your area (like in mine), consider Verizon Wireless.

Note that Virgin Mobile customers in the UK always use the T-Mobile UK network, so if a SMS can get to T-Mo, in theory, it can get to Virgin Mobile.

O2, Voda, and T-Mo are VZW's current partners, and I'm sure Orange is on the way if it doesn't already work. (And FYI, O2 is the old BT CellNet network, but it is no longer affiliated with British Telecom.)

VZW's international SMS is much more expensive than anyone else's though.

But it's just an option. T-Mobile will be better for international texting, no doubt.

6. Casey0999

Casey0999 New Member

Ok, thanks for all the info.

First have to check if T-Mobile works well in my area (Redwood Shores, Cal).

Cheers!