Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Which phone service is better

Discussion in 'Western US Wireless Forum' started by Guest, Oct 22, 2001.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

I live in southern california and I am interested in buying a phone. Who is better in coverage, sound quality and service. At&t, Verizon or Cingular.

2. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    that depends on where in southern calif you are.

Try reading previous posts to get an idea.

3. Leah

Leah Junior Member

Here we go....

WHO IS BETTER?????!!!! Good answer Kevin. =)

4. Guest

Guest Guest

I had been asking myself this question for quite awhile. My family has been with AT&T and before that LACellular since around 1988. We have been waiting for several holes in their coverage to be filled for several years but it has never happened. The Walnut area (Mt SAC where my wife teaches), parts of Yorba Linda and along the 241 Tollroad. Everybody I talk to seems to like their sevice. I have yet to meet anyone using Sprint that doesn't like the service. Only on this board have I heard of problems. My solution has been this...Last week I picked up aTP5200 from Sprint and a TM510 from Verizon. I have two weeks to decide on which one is BEST for ME. Both cover everything completly except parts of the 241. Here Verizon is a little better than Sprint. I can also maintain coverage all the way to my house with Verizon. Sprint is in and out but I can use it in my home. As far as clarity both are excellent and I think better than AT&T. I like the phones. No problem with either one. The TP5200 is my favorite and I like the Voice Command service from Sprint. I wish the TM520 was available, I think it might be closer to the 5200, but who knows. I've had Motorola (the most god awful GUI and batteries), Nokia and Panosonic and I would be happy to give them up for the LG phones. THe 5200 is the best phone I've ever had. Anyway, coverage wize it's close but Verizon has the edge. Sprint is very tempting because of the phone and their other services offered. Sorry if I rambled on, but I hope this helps someone.

Steve

5. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    You are right about the TP5200 and TM520 being the same model for different carriers. Sprint beat Verizon to the market with their dual-band model. Verizon is supposed to release the tri-band model before the end of the year (I hope). The TM520 will also have voice command.

Your test was intriguing. I have heard before about ATT's weak spots, but I didn't know southern calif was one of them (or I forgot). If the extent of your regular travel is your home area, then it sounds like either Verizon or Sprint would be a good choice for you. The rate-plan perks and customer service might be deciding factors in your situation. While you are with them both, try calling their respective customer service numbers on various occassions just to see how long it takes to get through and how friendly/helpful/knowledgeable each staff is.

Take care,
    Kevin

6. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Hey Anonymous, I live around the same area as you, (near Yorba Linda), and use Sprint. I agree with you that everyone I know that uses Sprint is happy with the service and it's only on this board where all the problems seem to be. Why I don't know, but Orange County seems to be one of their best areas. Sprint has just added a new site in Yorba Linda near Fairmont and La Palma to improve their coverage. In additon another new site in Yorba Linda is currently under construction on Bastanchury Rd. near Imperial Hwy. This is a major facility and will add even better coverage to the area. As far as phones go I'm looking to buy the new Kyocera 2255 which runs about $130. Very cool 3G capable phone.

7. Guest

Guest Guest

Thank you for reading and responding to my post. Last week I tried registering on this board but have yet to recieve a log on and password!! Talk about customer service! Second, I thought if I did get a reply it would be from Kevin or Larry. Again Thanks.

I have called Sprint customer service. Two days after I signed up they came out with 3000 minutes for $29. I got through without a problem and was told I could switch to the newer plan without a hitch. So they where friendly and helpful. I haven't talked to Verizon yet other than in their store at the time of signup. In all the years we were with AT&T, I didn't have much occasion to call them and I can't forsee a reason to have much contact in the future. My concern is does the phone work and is there consistent coverage.

Coverage is my big concern. AT&T had assured me (long ago) that Walnut would be improved, it just never developed. Coverage wouldn't kick in until nearing the 60, and continue to be poor untill through the the 57 into the Brea area. There was never any on reception in my neighborhood. (east end of Yorba Linda in the hills) but I thought that was the norm. Imagine my delight to actually be able to use my Cell/PCS phone anytime now.

I still am undecided. I like Sprint but Verizon seems a little stronger in the coverage arena.

Steve

8. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Hey steve, another new Sprint site which I thought I would mention is located at the 57 near Diamond Bar Blvd. This site was activated about 3 months ago and really helps the areas along the 57 which you mention.

In Yorba Linda, Sprint has a site disguised as a water tower in the Eastlake Village Center and also one mounted in Featherly Regional Park near Gypsum Canyon RD & the 91. AT&T just added their equipment to this site as well.

9. Guest

Guest Guest

Larry,

I wondered who got the "Water Tower" in East Lake. I knew it wasn't AT&T. From there, south on Yorba Linda until around Travis Ranch School, was a trouble area for them. If you ever saw the movie "What Lies Beneath" with Harrison Ford and Michelle Phieffer (sp?), there is a line about the cell phone and not being able to use it until the bridge. Well, we used to say that about the Gypsum Canyon bridge. However, that did improve recently, it must be because of the new tower in Featherly you mentioned. I haven't gone way down in souhtern Orange Co. but I've heard there is hole in Sprint's coverage around Camp Pendelton. Do you have any information on this? I checked out the Kyocera you mentioned (on the Sprint website), looks nice. I find it easier to "wear" a clamshell, that's why I chose the LG's. Sprint says they will have G3 capability in the spring or summer next year. True or optimistic? Will Verizon have the same?

Kevin,

AT&T gave us great service for the most part, the weakest area seemed to be our most critical. Everywhere else... no problem. Very reliable, otherwise I wouldn't have stayed with them for so long and in some ways would rather not have to change. But,hey, Change is good! Besides they are very conservative in their phone selections. You said that the TM520 will have Voice Command. I'm not sure that that is the same thing offered by Sprint. Voice Activated Dialing and Voice Command are different and I don't see that Verizon offers that service. The TM510 also has voice activated dialing which in itself is a real plus. Voice Command lets you enter your phone directory in a personal phone directory on the internet ( I think 500 entries) with alternate numbers etc. You just say "Call Kevin at home (or work or on the moblie phone etc)" You can even just say call 213 XXX-XXXX at it goes. Saves putting everything in by hand into the phone. Also makes it easier to upgrade hardware later on. For me this is a tremendous time saver and convience.

One last thing, on the 241 tollroad, the emergency call boxes have extra antennaes, they look like UHF anybody seen them anywhere else? They really need to get the tower designs approved so they can fix that area.

Thanks everyone
    Steve

10. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Steve,

I believe after Sprint won approval for the water tower antenna in East Lake back in late 1998, they later allowed either Nextel or Verizon to co-locate on it with them at the lower elevation. Sprint also allowed AT&T to co-locate on the Gypsum Canyon antenna in Featherly park. Sprint has another site in YL up at the Highland Park reservoir near Imperial & Yorba Linda Blvd disguised as a pine tree. The new site they are building now on 17145 Bastanchury RD. is being hidden on a new structure on the roof of a church. Sprint has had good success in getting their sites approved in Yorba Linda even though it is one of the toughest cities in OC for zoning.

You're right about their coverage gap in Northern San Diego county around Camp Pendleton/San Onofre. They will be fixing this soon with the addition of two new sites in that area which were approved by the CA Costal Commission in August and September. If you want to know the exact locations of those sites send me a private e-mail.