Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Which NOKIA tops in reception, clarity, battery perf?

Discussion in 'NOKIA' started by cmtrev, Mar 8, 2005.

1. cmtrev

cmtrev New Member

My Phone:
    working on it
    Wireless Provider(s):
    working on it
    I must be the last person in Kent County to get a cell phone :confused:

I've spent hours pouring over CNet review, Epinions, etc. and would like to hear from you.

What Nokia phone is tops when these are your priorities?
    -SOLID Reception
    -Clarity whether talking or listening
    -Great battery life/quick charge up

I'd like a multi-band.

Thanks for looking :cool:

2. wgray8231

wgray8231 I don't work here.

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone 4 (temporary)
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Have you decided which service provider you're going with? That will determine your selection of Nokias. If you're going VZW, a Nokia may not be your best choice. If you're going with Cingular, there are some great Nokias available.

3. cmtrev

cmtrev New Member

My Phone:
    working on it
    Wireless Provider(s):
    working on it
    T-Mobile is actually looking good to me, based on pricing. Consumer Reports rates them #2 in this area, after Verizon. What do you say to that?

4. wgray8231

My Phone:
    iPhone 4 (temporary)
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Different providers have different phone choices. Part of choosing your service is finding a phone you like.

5. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    What are you looking for? Best pricing and phones or best covereage?
    Also, like wgray said, if you tell us a provider you're looking into, we can tell you the best Nokia models.
    For Verizon, the two Nokias they offer(3589i and 6015i are both great phones reception wise as I heard). The 3589i IMO blows away my LG phone in weak coverage areas.

6. agentHibby

agentHibby Iowa Cellular Guru

My Phone:
    Nokia 6256i
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Almost all CDMA phones you buy today are going to do 2 bands Cellular 800 MHz and PCS 1900 MHz. As far as I know there is not CDMA on European Cellular 900 MHz or DCS 1800 MHz so the few phones that do will have those bands will be GSM like on Samsung SCH-A790.
    Nokia just does not make that many CDMA phones they are starting to make more but don't expect them to be bringing out that a large selection phones for CDMA.

These companies make a several CDMA phones every year LG, Kyocera, UTStarcom (Audiovox)

These companies make some CDMA phones but they are making more GSM phones Motorola, Samsung, Nokia

Sony Ericsson does make CDMA phones, but not for the US.

GE Sanyo only make CDMA phones for Sprint.

7. cmtrev

cmtrev New Member

My Phone:
    working on it
    Wireless Provider(s):
    working on it
    What is the best phone to use with T-Mobile? I couldn't care less about cameras, ringtones, wallpaper & all that "cool" stuff. I am just a boring old phone customer who wants a phone that sounds as good as a land line & has battery staying power. Since I'll probably start out as a pre-paid customer, I will not use Verizon; their pre-paid plan costs as much as some regular plans ($1/day + minutes). Right now, at least, T-Mobile is in the 25-28 cent/minute range, which I can live with until I see how much I really need.

Thanks for asking.

8. cmtrev

cmtrev New Member

My Phone:
    working on it
    Wireless Provider(s):
    working on it
    True, but what if the phones offered are not the phones you want? Aren't unlocked phones a good alternative? For example, the phone offered with the T-Mobile prepaid plan seems almost disposable. Couldn't I use another phone with compatible technology?

9. cmtrev

cmtrev New Member

My Phone:
    working on it
    Wireless Provider(s):
    working on it
    Okay, but I'm looking at T-Mobile as a carrier, and they are GSM-based. Any thoughts on that?

10. budney

budney Resident Headbanger
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 6s+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    With GSM Nokias it all really comes down to features, they all have great RF. The only Nokia phones IMHO that stand out from the pack in terms of RF are the s60 phones (3650, 6600, etc.).

11. proud2bamerican8

proud2bamerican8 Junior Member

Carrier first. Phone second. Don't impulse-buy based on slick commercials.

Cmtrev, CR may give you a good general overview, but get specific info from folks who work where you work (not in the 20 mile geographic area) , who live on your block, shop where you shop and go to the same school you go to. Do they get good reception or not? All the cool features on the newest snazzy phone are useless if you can't get a signal. Once you know carrier then you can think about plans while you explore phones. (Don't go with a carrier based on price. Saving $5 or $10 is not worth having a phone that doesn't work where you need it.)

Once you know carrier, then check out phones. Again CR can help some, also JD Power & Assoc has very detailed ratings of cell phones. http://www.jdpower.com/cc/telecom/jdpa_ratings/wireless/Find.jsp?s=6

Once you buy a phone, most carriers give you a couple weeks to try it out before you are actually locked into a binding contract. Use this time to the fullest. Call everyone you know from everywhere you go for no reason at all. Find out if it really is going to work where you need it. If not, return it; no matter what the salesperson says or what deal you are offered.

You may try several phones or carriers before you find a good fit. Don't let this be a time of frustration , but of learning. Who knows, you may be able to help someone else with what you discover.

Have fun with your new phone! :cool:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. wgray8231

My Phone:
    iPhone 4 (temporary)
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Yes, you can often use another phone. However, you will be spending a LOT more to get this other phone. I would definitely sign up for new service and take advantage of the new customer discount. Decide you like the service. Then maybe after several months to a year, if you REALLY want another phone, you could get one.

13. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Concerning the four tmobile Nokia phones offered, the only ones that are multiband are the 3660 and 6600. Multiband for T mobile means one US frequency (1900Mhz) and two freq. for europe/asia/rest of world (900&1800 Mhz).

T mobile only uses 1900mhz in the US. Even though Nokia may say the phone has 850Mhz and 1900Mhz, the 850 is disabled.

I would suspect that all these phones have good RF. Regarding your other questions, go to:
    compare Tmobile Nokia phones

Cingular is now merged with ATT and has more Nokia selections. Cingular uses 850 and 1900, plus has phones with world freq. You may wish to check Cingular out. They have prepaid and Go phone/no contract options

14. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    I would go with the Nokia 6010

15. 714tmobile

714tmobile Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 3G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    The 6010 (free) is a good basic phone w/ solid reception...

I've not tried the 3220 (also free) yet but I hear it's a great phone too..

The 6600 ($99/my current one) has really impressed me w/ the reception quality compared to my prev. Samsung E715--previously the best reception phone I ever had.... everything else (Bluetooth, IR, Series60 Apps, etc.) has been icing. Battery life on Series phones is generally about the same, maybe a little less than you're used to since you'll be playing w/ it more.

I think I can safely say that almost any Nokia you buy will have pretty good RF, sound quality, and battery life. Ironically, they seem to have low SAR ratings too. Samsungs are also pretty good but none are bluetooth in the T-Mobile offerings right now (and some have high SAR ratings).

Speaking of SAR, I was surprised to see my 6600 having a .50 rating compared to my E715 having a 1.41... and the 6600 has better reception.
    :confused:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...