Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Which Nokia CDMA phone will Sprint more likely carry?

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by WBOOPA, Mar 21, 2002.

1. WBOOPA

WBOOPA Junior Member

Out of all the new Nokia CDMA phones soon to be released(6370.6385,3585,8270) which phones do you guys see Sprint more likely to carry?

2. Malial

Malial Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola v710
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Assuming that they will all be released in the States (and that Sprint or Verizon are going to even carry ANY of them)-

I think Sprint would carry the 8270 & 6370. 8270 is single band and Verizon doesn't normally carry many of those. I haven't seen for sure if the 6370 is single band or not, but since it has the same xx70 model number by guess is that may be.

I think Verizon will get the 6385 because it is more of a business class phone and Verizon tries to cater that market a lot. I think Sprint will get the 3585 because it is JAVA enabled and not BREW. (Verizon is pushing BREW I believe). The interesting thing about the 3585 is that it has a RUIM (Removeable User Identity Module). Not much use for that in the states right now though.

Of course these are just guesses...It is going to be interesting to see how Nokia and the providers that offer the new Nokia phones position them in the market.

3. WBOOPA

WBOOPA Junior Member

OK, do you see a dual band version the 8270 coming out? If I were to get a phone, I would probably get the dual band version of the 8270.

4. Malial

Malial Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola v710
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I haven't heard anything about one, but my guess would be probably not.

It seems like it would be better to have release a dual band one from the beginning if they had one. Also it's not a 1X phone, so I don't see them putting too much money into it.

5. WBOOPA

WBOOPA Junior Member

I think Nokia would release a dual band version of the 8270, this would be there first cdma phone since the 6185 was released, which had problems with the Sprint's network.

I hope they do release a dual band version of the 8270, I think it is a cool design. It seems Nokia make more sleek designs for there world and tdma phones, it is nice to see something of similar design in the cdma market.

6. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    I'm not so sure that Sprint will be carrying any Nokia phones any time soon. I could be wrong but I won't believe it until I see it. But I think it would be in their best interest to give them another shot since there are many faithful Nokia addicts out there and it could only help attract new customers if they do.

7. WBOOPA

WBOOPA Junior Member

Hey I noticed, the 8270 has an internal antenna, does that really make difference interms of reception on the CDMA network. I have not seen Sprint or Verizon carry any phones with internal antennas, tend to see those phones on the GSM and TDMA networks.

8. amphibian

amphibian Senior Member

<< I think Verizon will get the 6385 because it is more of a business class phone and Verizon tries to cater that market a lot. I think Sprint will get the 3585 because it is JAVA enabled and not BREW. (Verizon is pushing BREW I believe). The interesting thing about the 3585 is that it has a RUIM (Removeable User Identity Module). Not much use for that in the states right now though. >>

I agree with all that quote.
    May be a stretch here on my part,
    but this comment reminded me of recent news.

Wondering, or hoping, Nokia might have something like this in mind.

http://www.cellular-news.com/story/6156.shtml

More manufacturers to support GSM1x
    &lt;snip&gt;
    Kyocera, Sanyo and TCL Mobile manufacture the CDMA2000 R-UIM enabled handsets, which are software upgradeable to support GSM1x.
    &lt;snip&gt;
    GSM1x enables convergence of a GSM/GPRS core service network with CDMA2000 radio access. The GSM1x solution supports SMS and position location, and introduces a GSM1x MSN to interface an existing and unmodified GSM core network with an unmodified CDMA2000 radio access network. GSM1x terminals utilize a standard SIM card and are subject to standard GSM authentication. As a result, operators will be able to offer global roaming and service transparency between CDMA2000 1X and GSM networks without compromising their current infrastructure.

9. Malial

Malial Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola v710
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    << Hey I noticed, the 8270 has an internal antenna, does that really make difference interms of reception on the CDMA network. I have not seen Sprint or Verizon carry any phones with internal antennas, tend to see those phones on the GSM and TDMA networks. >>

I've searched long and hard to find the answer why you see many GSM/TDMA phones with internal antennas and why CDMA phones rarely (if ever) have internal antennas.

All of that searching has led me to a couple conclusions, but not one easy answer.

The external antennas (from what I've read) are more useful on the 800 mhz side because of the wavelength. This may be why there is no external on the 8270 because it only operates on 1900mhz.

This still doesn't answer the question why many TDMA phones (especially Nokias) that operate 800mhz have internal antennas. Nobody has been able to provide a clear answer to that.

Some people say it's manufacturer preference. I don't beleive so. (Case & Point is the Ericsson t60c and t60d. Exactly the same phone but CDMA version has external antenna while TDMA has internal.) Also, Nokia has clearly shown a preference for internal antennas in all of their recent TDMA/GSM releases. Yet their new CDMA phones (with the exception of the 8270) have external antennas.

I've also read that CDMA phones have a tendency to output more power than TDMA phones, and an external antenna helps regulate this and helps the phone operate at low a level as possible (which helps conserve battery life).

Some people say the provider's prefer external antennas (meaning Sprint & Verizon's standards require external antennas, thus CDMA phones are made this way). I haven't heard anything to the contrary on this, but I don't think that can be 100% of the reason. Seems to me any provider would want to carry the "newer cooler" phones. Which anymore are internal antenna phones. Consumers like them better.

We may see more of a trend towards internal, or at least fixed length, antennas on CDMA's in the future because of this.

If ANYONE can help explain or shed light on this issue...please let me know!

10. WBOOPA

WBOOPA Junior Member

Thanks for the info, I just hope Sprint decides to pick up the Nokia 8270 or a dual band version.