Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

which is better sprint or nextel

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by cellman62, Nov 16, 2005.

1. cellman62

cellman62 New Member

Hi all... I have had nextel for several years now ..I am happy with them... When sprint merged with nextel... I am wondering if I should change over. I live in eastern conn. and the rates are better from sprint for family plans.. Please answer!!!!!

cellman62

2. Yankees368

Yankees368 Compulsive Signal Checker

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhones 4S???
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, Sprint 2002-2010, Voicestream 2001-2002
    Nobody can answer this question for you. What we can say is to take advantage of the trial time with a sprint phone and check coverage where you visit the most yourself. Other than that, you should recieve better coverage with Sprint because when there is no sprint signal, you can roam on Verizon. Nextel has no roaming.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. cellman62

cellman62 New Member

If there are people in eastern connecticut, will you please give me your veiws..

4. cellman62

cellman62 New Member

To friends in eastern Connecticut.... Please give your veiws on sprint or nextel... I am wondering if I should switch from nextel to sprint....

5. Fire14

Fire14 Easy,Cheap & Sleazy

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I can only make a suggestion here since I don't live in CT, but you could get a prepaid phone to see what there native coverage is in your area, and if it's good then you would be fine or better with a no roaming fee plan, since then you would add any roaming partners to a post-paid plan, which isn't included in a pre-paid plan which may give you coverage to fill holes where Sprint doesn't near you.

6. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I think in almost every aspect Sprint is better than Nextel.

Sprint has better internet service, better prices, better network technology and better handsets. The only thing that Nextel is better at is in the PTT service, nothing else. In coverage areas they are both about the same.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    I would agree with you there Bobolito. Plus with Sprint you have the option of roaming on other CDMA carriers where there is no native coverage present. You do not have this option on the Nextel side of the house because Nextel is the only company providing iDen service in the US. If you don't have native coverage, you don't have coverage at all.

-Jay

8. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Some people tell me they think Nextel's Motorola phones are better quality. But that's subjective of course.

9. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    For the most part Motorola phones are pretty high quality with 1 or 2 exceptions. I think Nextel's network is severely lacking though.

-Jay

10. dead zone

dead zone Junior Member

My Phone:
    VX10000 Voyager
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    all i can say is that i tried nextel before going to sprint and i didnt like it.....i even have a nextel/sprint/tmobile/cingular tower down the road and still in the house the nextel will drop calls with sprint now i havent had a drop call sprint phones are better in RF if i might say. ---go with sprint

11. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    If you are talking about how you can throw a Nextel phone against concrete floor and have it work again, then yes, they are sturdy as hell. My sister uses an inactive Nextel phone as a self-defense weapon. ;)

12. Rasputin

Rasputin Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Apple Iphone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    ATT, Verizon
    If you wait a while they will be the same in terms of quality once Sprint, coverts them over to CDMA and moves them up in Freq. But you will have to wait a couple of years.

13. paulmac

paulmac Senior Member

My Phone:
    Bionic - Rooted
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I just left Nextel after a few years switched to Cingular. Loved the push to talk feature that I had, and quite a few of my friends still have thier Nextel phones but I can no longer PTT them. I found Nextel to be OK, but at times lacking in signal and the ability to get through. And even today I will call one of my friends and get "please wait while the Nextel subscriber is located" then next, voice mail. But overall I was pleased with them. And yes thier motorola phones are great, and do take a beating, which is why I went with Motorola when I switched to Cingular (Razr first then the V557). I used to use Sprint quite a while ago, I was never a big fan of them. In fact now that they combined with Nextel is what kind of made me want to jump ship. Maybe things of changed, but was not going to wait around to see. Also, I have read on some other post indicating Sprint will also start carrying Motorola phones so that's good. But I agree with other post, talk to other people in the area that have either Nextel or Sprint and get thier opinion. Hope this helps :)

14. Suliman

Suliman Senior Member

My Phone:
    Katana (2)
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint, Millenicom
    I've had them both in the car at the same time. Simply put, Sprint has roaming and Nextel doesn't. Sprint performs well on other CDMA areas within their PRL and Nextel has no other providers you can roam with. I found that once the novelty of the direct connect wore off, I hardly used it. I don't know about you but to me the only thing more annoying than someone having a cell phone conversation right next to you is that "chirping" that goes with a DC conversation.

Paul

15. cellman62

cellman62 New Member

thank you all for your comments.... Please keep them coming.....

16. cellman62

cellman62 New Member

I went to the sprint store today... The owner there let me borrow a sprint phone to compare againts my nextel.... I notice that I could not make out of state calls... Maybe they do this so people will not call china...... I have notice that my nextel has more bars than the sprint in most areas... But so far 2 out of 3 say the sprint is better even thou the signal is weaker....I am using a older phone to test with... If I were to get a new sprint phone with the lastest tech... Do you think the phone would pic up better....

17. chuikov

chuikov Senior Member

Local coverage aside, I think Bobolito points out that Sprint and Nextel users are, in a general way, at the opposite ends of the cell phone market. It depends on your priorities. For example, I don't care about internet service, network technology (?) and to me, Nextel handsets are markedly superior to anything you can get at a sprint store - for my purposes.

I don't want a tiny flipphone with a color screen and a camera that will break if I sweat on it or drop it in a little muck or on concrete.

Nextel has been successful because they identified a market niche and filled it.