Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Which cell phone company has the BEST roaming?

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by Wireless525, Oct 29, 2006.

1. Wireless525

Wireless525 New Member

I decided to research this up a bit, and here's my stats:

Now, there is one flaw in my math. The flaw is the total people I have at the end of each addition. See, I added up the number of people covered by the carriers AND the number of people covered by it's roaming partners to get the total number of people it can cover. The flaw? Well, there will be lots of over-lapping in coverage. For example, Cingular and t-mobile will both have coverage in say New York city. So since cingular covers 9 million in New York, and so does T-mobile, adding 9+9 together isn't really the right way to do it. Because it's not really reaching 18 million people, just 9 million, as both carriers are overlapping and having coverage in the same spots. So although it's off, it was the only way I could figure it out because of so many carriers having coverage in the same spots.

Cingular
    Cingular's standard GSM voice service reaches 270 million people. Now if Cingular roams with t-mobile, that means potential 270 million from cingulars coverage + 275 million from t-mobile = 545 million people

Verizon
    Verizon offers standard voice coverage to 255 million people, but 291 million people if you include it's roaming partners.

Sprint
    Sprint's standard voice service reaches more than 295 million people + roaming. Since sprint can roam off Verizon+Alltell, add 255 million from Verizon, and 72 million from Alltell. = 622 million (plus analog roaming)

Alltel
    Reaches 72 million people off Alltell network. + roaming from Sprint (295 milion) + Verizon = 255 million = 622 million

T-mobile
    T-Mobile reaches 275 million people + roaming from cingular (270) = 545 million

Nextel
    Nextel iDen network reaches 264 million people.

So from that it seems like:

#1= Sprint and Alltel
    #2 = Cingular and t-mobile
    #3 = Verizon
    #4 = Nextel

(information above thanks to: http://tech.yahoo.com/blog/null/3554)

BTW, does anyone know who Cingular roams with? I know they roam with t-mobile, but I wasn't sure with who else. Because if you have Cingular in a small rural area, and there is no t-mobile signal either, who will Cingular use to roam off of then? Or will it be no one, and you'll just have no signal?

2. TWX

TWX Mobile Enthusiast

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone 5s
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    If you have Cingular in a small rural area, and Cingy doesnt have coverage there, and T-Mobile doesn't. Than most likley they would roam offa' Dobson/Cellular One because they are the largest GSM rural provider (so they say)

Cingy and T-Mobile both roam off of Dobson/Cellular One.

3. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    The flaw is that you cannot always roam, even if a roaming partner is present. It is common for carriers to prevent their phones from roaming in areas that they have native coverage. Take my area for example. I live in the DC area, and I'm on Cingular. When I do a network search I can see a T-Mobile signal, but my phone won't allow me to register on that network, because roaming is not allowed in my area. This is not to say that I can't ever roam on TMO, just not here. The same is true with just about all the other carriers. They want you to use the native network and roam only in areas that it is not available. I know that when I drove to Pennsylvaina about 2 months ago I saw my phone roaming on CellularONE. Who Cingular roams with just depends on where you are, and that is also true with just about any carrier.

-Jay

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Wireless525

Wireless525 New Member

Actually...

Sprint you you can roam by choice. You can put your phone to "roaming only" mode, or sprint mode, etc. So if your sprint signal is weak/keeps going in and out of signal at a certain place, just set it to roaming mode and now you're running off Verizon basically. It's really neat, and this is exactly why sprint does have the most powerful and largest network. If sprint isn't working good, switch over to roaming and now you've got Verizon/Alltell/Analog/other Digtial roaming to run off of. I so far haven't had any spot where I haven't had a signal, because if I don't, I just choose roaming mode only!

For example: I'm a store, such as target, and then I noticed my Sprint phone has only 1 bar, and is going in and out of service. So I just set the phone to roaming only mode, and then it roams - probably off verizon - and then all of a sudden my phone has 5 bars on it! If sprint doesn't have a good signal in one place, chances are verizon, alltell, analog, etc probably have reception in that spot!

This honestly is why sprint is so awesome.

So IMO I think Sprint is the best for roaming, and having a signal.

I actually just got it recently for the fact that it roams so much, it's really nice to almost always have a signal.

#64 Wireless525, Nov 18, 2006
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2006
  5. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, AT&T based Tracfone, T-Mobile
    Wirelessly posted (Q's Mobile Device: Opera/8.01 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/2.0.4719/1378; en; U; ssr))

I know that in the SE, cingular roams on tmobile, alltel, centennial, and Unicel. The partner chosen is dependent on location. They used to roam on Suncom but the agreement seems to be revoked. I'm in Florida, and cingy doesn't roam... But they have decent coverage in the state... The same cannot be said about Tmobile and they only roam in the SW part of the state.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #65 QLR, Nov 18, 2006
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2006
  6. kjo

kjo Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Iphone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    I would think it would be verizon...but of course I could be wrong :rolleyes:

7. strunke

strunke .:|Always Covered|:.

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8230, KRZR K1m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel, T-Mobile, Sprint, Centennial
    That's why I like Alltel. Very few restrictions with the roaming, they're mostly a customer first organization.
    I think you will be happy with Sprint. I have heard they have one of the best in LA. I haven't heard much about Denver.

The whole analog turning off thing will have very little affect on the overall coverage. Only a small amount of it is still analog, and by the time it is supposed to be turned off it will be overlayed with digital or left on until that is done, it will likely be turned off a site at a time as they go to each one to upgrade.

The basics....
    Sprint covers the most people with roaming. Alltel has the geographically largest native (thier own) network. Cingular covers the most population natively.

8. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile

Sprint doesn't really have that flaw. They have roaming agreements in every market and all you have to do is flip it to 'roaming mode' and it will find a network to use in almost every case.

9. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    Very few times do we agree on something larry, but this is one of those times. :D
    One of Sprint's best advantages is that most(if not all...I haven't really kept up with Sprint's plans lately) include free roaming and Sprint's PRL allows for at least ONE roaming partner per geographic area. This is something that no other carrier does. ALLTEL would probably be second; in most areas they allow roaming even within their native coverage area.

10. TelcomJunkie

TelcomJunkie Bad Handoff Investigator

Wireless Provider(s):
    Big Brother
    Yeah I can set my Sprint phone to roaming at anytime, any location and it will go no matter how strong the Sprint signal is.

11. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Yup, that is true, and I believe Sprint is the only company to have a 'force roam' feature on their phones.

12. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    In the old days you could only force analog though. Thankfully Sprint has fixed that now on all of the newer phones.

13. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Thankfully they have fixed/continued providing the use of this feature.
    Updating this force roam feature was necessary to keep customers happy I'm sure since Analog has degraded a lot in some areas.