Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Which carrier added the most new customers, 1st quarter?

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by larry, Apr 15, 2002.

1. ComicalMoodyDan

ComicalMoodyDan Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Kenny that may be one thing that goes against Verizon coverage wise I think they are a great company, but customer service wise I have a tendacy to think that Verizon sucks so therefor myself I would be a bit iffy about going with them. One of my mom's friend had trouble with her Verizon service and went to the store and basically they told her if she wasn't happy with there service to just cancel. I've heard that Verizon's customer service locally and via the net can be rude and not very helpful, maybe they are getting a repuation for that and its starting to affect there sales. Most of my friends and family members around here seem to have ALLTEL or SunCom with a couple I know using Cingular, I can't think of anybody off the top of my head that uses Verizon.

2. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Update: VoiceStream announced their results of net 508,500 adds, so that places them third. (556K net contract adds, and they dumped 48K prepay subscribers).

Kenny, Rich - the issue of including affiliates and other companies that offer similar branded service is one that is always tricky. The numbers reported by the companies themselves sometimes are hard to track. You can count resellers since they buy direct from the company ususally. Affiliates are often, if not usually, separately traded companies, and report their own numbers. This would be true for Nextel Partners (NXTP) and Alamosa PCS (APCS) for Sprint, and formerly for Triton PCS for AT&T, although AT&T owns them now. It's always been my observation as a wireless user and investor, that the best way to report the numbers is as the companies report them. Some companies (VS for one) don't report affiliate numbers in their press releases. Why I don't know. If you report numbers inclusing affiliates, you should always make sure you say that IMO.

Wayne - as far as churn goes, so far I've seen Verizon in the low 2s (maybe 2.1 or 2.2) and I think AT&T in the mid 2s. I didn't check the others yet. VS reported contract churn "under 3%" but total churn of 4.4%. They are still choosing to have a high churn as they eliminate thousands of prepay customers or convert them to contract customers. Powertel was over 1/2 prepay (500K) and they bring in almost half the ARPU of a contract customer, so they aren't valuable)

Revised numbers, core companies only! [​IMG] for the 1st quarter

Sprint 725
    AT&T 650
    VoiceStream 508
    Nextel 502
    Cingular 234
    Verizon 186

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. ComicalMoodyDan

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    You have your SunCom's mixed up Matt. AT&T now owns SunCom (TeleCorp PCS) and is in the proccess of converting it over to the AT&T Wireless brand. SunCom (Triton PCS) however is still an indepandant company.

4. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    right it is TeleCorp. Thanks for the correction.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. ComicalMoodyDan

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
  6. Rich

Rich Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    BlackBerry® Style™ 9670 s
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint- AT&t
    Personally, If Verizon offered some more cooler phone's (like Sprint) they probably would've had three times the amount of new subscribers. Sorry, but Verizon's phone selection just plain sucks......

7. aiwapro

aiwapro Silver Senior Member

And people tried to say that Alltel was better than Voicestream, and had more coverage. They even said that with their recent acquisition, they took Voicestream's spot in rankings. Ha!

No, No, No!

8. ComicalMoodyDan

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Well they would have been if you included the pending merger. VoiceStream added more then 500,000 customers this quarter though thus overtaking there small lead they still retain the number 6 largest wireless provider in the US. ALLTEL comes in a little bit behind at number 7, by the way nobody said ALLTEL had more coverage then VoiceStream, ALLTEL is considered a regional provider VoiceStream is considered a national one.

9. aiwapro

aiwapro Silver Senior Member

Maybe you didn't say that Alltel had more coverage than Voicestream, but someone said it on a different thread.

10. ComicalMoodyDan

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Market wise, they prolly do since they have a tendacy to cover smaller areas and the "boon docks" while VoiceStream typically seems to stick in or around major cities and highways. But nationwide nope VoiceStream has more coverage, I'll admit that.

11. Apoc

Apoc Senior Member

Cingular did not do so well from what I read somewhere can anyone verify that??

12. ComicalMoodyDan

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    You are correct Apoc, in an earlier post by Matt it was stated that Cingular only added 234,000 new customers this quarter.

13. ComicalMoodyDan

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    SunCom (Triton PCS) has finally announced there first quarter results and they look pretty good to me. They added 35,545 new customers this quarter bringing there total subscriber base to 719,198. Churn Rate is also an amazingly low 1.88 percent. APRU was $55.52 also there roaming minutes grew 44 percent in this quarter and the cost per user went down this quarter. Also in the article it happens to meantion that SunCom is going GSM/GPRS!

Triton PCS First-Quarter EBITDA More Than Triples to $36 Million; EBITDA Margin Rises to 23.7%; Revenue Increases 40% While Churn Declines to 1.88

14. groover

groover New Member

I'm tyring to find information on the expansion of the major carriers' networks. Info on where they are expanding too (new buildout of cell sites) and how much money they have set aside for new tower sites. I saw the reference above about how many cell sites nextel has but I am not doing to well searching on my own but i know that you who post here often seem to be able to find info very well. thanks

15. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    You should be able to find information on capital expenditues with the companies' reports the file with the SEC at the SEC website. Quarterly reports are form 10-Q, annual reports (which usually come out in march) are form 10-K.