Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Which carrier added the most new customers, 1st quarter?

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by larry, Apr 15, 2002.

1. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Sprint's total (not including affiliates) was 725,000 for Q1 2002. I suspect that someone else might beat them out for the first time since 1998. Am I wrong??? Cingular? Verizon? Nextel?

2. Rich

Rich Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    BlackBerry® Style™ 9670 s
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint- AT&t
    Won't know Nextel's untill the 17th of April.[​IMG]

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Sprint was first to report, but I agree with you Larry, the king may have fallen, at least for 3 months [​IMG]

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Dukedog

Dukedog Senior Member

Cingular, might have, because of the new rate plans. But I guess we have to wait and see.

5. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Ok Sprint's total is actually 953,000 with affiliates.

6. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Nextel added 502K doemstics, total 9.2M domestic subs.

7. Rich

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint- AT&t
    Nextel Communications, Inc., today announced consolidated financial results for the first quarter of 2002 including a 22% increase over last year's first quarter domestic revenues to approximately $2 billion and a 66% increase in domestic operating cash flow to a record $586 million, before a restructuring charge, as compared with 2001's first quarter domestic operating cash flow of $353 million. During the first quarter of 2002, Nextel added 502,000 domestic subscribers finishing the quarter with approximately 9.2 million domestic subscribers.Nextel added approximately 400 domestic cell sites during the first quarter, ending the quarter with approximately 15,900 cell sites in service.

Nextel partners will announce their first quarter results May 2, 2002..Nextel might just win this one...!!

8. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Cingular added 234K. They have only added (net) 1.2M in the last year.

9. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Ok so maybe Sprint held their title for another 3 months! Only Verizon is in the way. AT&T doesn't have a chance to top them. Anyone have Verizon's numbers yet???

10. ILUVSOCAL

ILUVSOCAL Banned

My Phone:
    Nokia 3600(me)
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T(Me),Cingular(Me,Mom),Edge Wireless(Dad)
    From what the news is saying, the rate they are all adding customers at has been steadily falling the past couple of years as the novelty of phones wears off, and the market get saturated, much like what happend with TV's in the 1960's.

11. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Speaking of TV's has anyone noticed that they've dropped in price so much in the past couple of years? You can now buy a 32 inch set for the price of a 27 inch just 3 years ago. [​IMG]

12. IdiOTeQnoLogY

IdiOTeQnoLogY Bronze Senior Member

yes i bought a great panasonic 27" panablack screen , stereo, with 3 outputs and s-video for only 299$ last summer.

[​IMG]

13. ComicalMoodyDan

ComicalMoodyDan Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    You're wrong Matt, Cingular added 533,000 new subcribers in the first quarter of this year according to WirelessWeek.com

"The two companies' reports indicate that Cingular brought in roughly $3.7 billion in revenue during the quarter. The carrier says it added 533,000 new subscribers in the first quarter, bringing its total users to 21.8 million. Average revenue per user remained flat at $50.44."

14. Dukedog

Dukedog Senior Member

Actually TNDAN21, Matt was correct and you are wrong, Cingular didn't add as much as you are saying check the report .

ATLANTA—Cingular Wireless reported $3.5 billion in wireless revenues for the first quarter, a 6-percent increase from the $3.3 billion posted last year, and $372 million in earnings before taxes, an 8-percent increase from the $344 million reported during the first quarter of 2001.

The nation's second-largest wireless operator said it added 234,000 net customers during the quarter, below many analysts' expectations and a 73-percent drop from the 866,000 net adds reported last year. The company said the results were consistent with its recent subscriber addition trends during the previous two quarters and are in line with its focus on signing up a higher percentage of digital postpaid subscribers.

Average revenue per user increased slightly from $50.32 last year to $50.44 this year.

15. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Ok now let's hear about Verizon. They're the only ones who have a legit shot at beating Sprint this past quarter.

16. mcf04581

mcf04581 Senior Member

My Phone:
    T-Mobile SDA
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile, Verizon Wireless
    I keep looking for the answer to this, but I cant find it, not even on our website. Ill keep searching and post it as soon as I can.

17. ComicalMoodyDan

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    No, Dukedog WirelessWeek.com is wrong I quoted it directly from there article. Either that or your source is.

Cingular's Parents Post Revenue Slips
    By Kristy Bassuener
    April 19, 2002

SBC Communications Inc. and BellSouth Corp. -- both owners of the Cingular Wireless joint venture -- report overall sales slides for the first quarter of 2002.

SBC reports that sales fell to $10.5 billion, compared with $11.2 billion the same time in 2001. Including sales figures from Cingular, SBC's revenue was $12.6 billion, down 4 percent from the previous year. Swinging to a financial loss for the period, the company says its deficit for the quarter was $81 million, or 2 cents per share, compared with a profit of $1.9 billion, or 54 cents per share the previous year. SBC says the loss includes a $1.8 billion writedown related to acquisition costs. The company expects a 'tough' year ahead in sales, predicting growth of 1 percent to 3 percent.

BellSouth, which owns the other 40 percent of Cingular, managed to increase its earnings for the quarter, despite a more than 6 percent slide in sales to $5.5 billion for the quarter. Including revenue from Cingular, that sales figure is about $7.1 billion. The company reports net income of $1.16 billion, or 61 cents per share for the period, compared with $891 million, or 47 cents per share one year earlier. However, the profits include a 45-cent-per-share gain on the sale of BellSouth's sales of shares in European holdings involving Germany's E-Plus Mobilfunk and The Netherlands' Royal KPN NV.

The two companies' reports indicate that Cingular brought in roughly $3.7 billion in revenue during the quarter. The carrier says it added 533,000 new subscribers in the first quarter, bringing its total users to 21.8 million. Average revenue per user remained flat at $50.44.[/b]

Cingular's Parents Post Revenue Slips

18. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    It's a mix....they added 500K, but due to losses in other areas of their network, the total additions were 234K, which is the number that counts in the end. This is the press release from part-owner SBC:

<< Achieved a 533,000 net gain in digital, post-paid contract subscribers. Reseller and analog customer totals both declined during the quarter, and prepaid totals were flat, resulting in total net adds of 234,000. >>

link

19. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    btw nothing from Verizon today....

20. ComicalMoodyDan

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Thanks Matt, CNET also says the same thing. I still fault WirelessWeek.com though they should have stated there article more clearly and accurately. Sorry for the mistake on my part though.

21. Wayne

Wayne Senior Member

Hell...............I went searching all through our intra net and could find nothing either...............I guess just too many to count lol. [​IMG]

22. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    The results are in, and Verizon is the big net loser this quarter. Sprint retains the championship.

Verizon 186K net adds:

[l]http://biz.yahoo.com/rb/020423/telecoms_verizonwireless_subscriber_1.html[/l]

AT&T 650K:

[l]http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/020423/230055_1.html[/l]

VoiceStream approx 500K:

[l]http://biz.yahoo.com/djus/020423/200204230645000374_1.html[/l]

So for the quarter:

Sprint 725
    AT&T 650
    Nextel 502
    VoiceStream 500 (looking for exact number)
    Cingular 234
    Verizon 186

23. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    sorry it wouldn't let me edit twice - try these:

The results are in, and Verizon is the big net loser this quarter. Sprint retains the championship.

Verizon 186K net adds:

Verizon

AT&T 650K:

AT&T

VoiceStream approx 500K:

VoiceStream

So for the quarter:

Sprint 725
    AT&T 650
    Nextel 502
    VoiceStream 500 (looking for exact number)
    Cingular 234
    Verizon 186

24. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Surprised to hear that Verizon was so low and AT&T was so high! I thought it would be the other way around. That means that Sprint has now lead the industry for 14 consecutive quarters dating back to Q4 1998.

25. Wayne

Wayne Senior Member

What is the churn rate??? I mean who had the most churn??

26. Rich

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint- AT&t
    Hey, don't count Nextel out yet....Nextel Partners still hasn't reported their info, I believe it's sometime in May. As far as churn rate goes, Nextel is the lowest in the industry.

27. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Well if you count Sprint's affiliates on to thier total they almost have 1 million for the quarter. Sprint's affiliates all offer Sprint PCS branded service, billing, and plans so therefore should be counted in the total.

28. ComicalMoodyDan

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    I wonder how come Verizon did so bad this quarter. I mean after all they are the number 1 wireless provider in the US and they introduced those new America Choice Plans which I thought were a pretty good deal and would pull in some customers. I would figure that Verizon would have done a lot better then they did, I was also kinda surprised that AT&T added that many new customers but good for them I believe AT&T is a very good company in the wireless industry [​IMG]

29. Wayne

Wayne Senior Member

I cant figure it out myself.........in this Market we were up alot from last year

30. Kenny

Kenny Senior Member

AT&T Wireless -- must've been the mlife advertising during the Superbowl that kicked off the surge! LOL

Although AT&T Wireless' National/One Rate plan doesn't offer as much bang for the buck as you can get with Verizon's AC and Sprint PCS' plans, ATTWS still offers a very attractive local and regional plan.

I am very pleased with the overall quality of service including customer service. There was a time recently when I as speaking with a CS rep and I had asked a question. I was put on hold while the rep tried to seek the answer (perhaps from a Supervisor). I happened to receive a call on my cell from a friend and I had to drop the call with the CS rep while I was still on hold. I finished my brief call with my friend and just moments later I received a call on my home phone...it was the ATTWS CS rep calling me back to speak with me about my questions! I feel that the customer service is excellent.

Watch this: At the Schaumburg Woodfield Shopping Mall (suburban Chicago), you have a small AT&T Wireless store and just right in front of this store is a Verizon Wireless outlet. I was there this past Saturday and was standing right in front of Verizon and was looking at their advertising/brochures...the Sales rep acknowledged my presence and asked if I was a Verizon user -- I said "No" and the guy turned around somewhat disinterested and went about doing whatever he was doing. Throughout the time I was at the mall I passed by about 5 times and business seemed pretty quiet --- on occasion I saw maybe 1 person talking to the rep.

Contrast that with the AT&T Wireless store 30 feet away. I walked in the shop, the 2 reps were busy with a handful of customers in the store -- I browsed around for a minutes and a young lady (came from the back room) approached me and was friendly and asked if I needed anything. Again, on the number of occasions I walked by both places, ATTWS store was much more active and had what appeared to me more friendly staff. Actually, customers in the ATTWS store were very interested in the cool T68 and 8390 phones...you can see a lot of interest around these phones. This concurs with what another fellow said in another forum about how he's seen a whopping increase in people buying these hot phones. For some reason, they have a hot appeal due to the looks and name. My friends from latin american who visited me 3 weeks ago also liked the sleek and ultra-cool Nokia 8390 and the Ericsson T68 phones the best. Lots of buzz about these 2 phones too in Howard Chui's forum.

Also, almost 3 months ago when I was wheeling and dealing with AT&T CS reps about different plan options for me...that one CS rep spent a patient 30 minutes with me to try to offer the best possible incentives for me (since I wanted to change plans from Network Adv to One Rate). After working out some possible perks for me, I said that I would think about it and the guy said no problem and he inputed the special he was offering me into the computer system. I called back a couple of days later to sign up and the reps have always seemed to be so patient.

Now Verizon has to work on things a bit so as not to alienate customers! Let me give you an example. Almost 3 months back (when I was negotiating with ATTWS), I called Verizon Wireless twice and got the same bullshit response. Let me explain. I called to inquire about the AC plan and wanted to ask a few questions. One of the questions I wanted to ask was this: What is Verizon's policy regarding those on a 1 or 2 yr contract on a certain rate plan and then part-way through the billing month, upgraded to a higher rate plan? How would Verizon handle the billing? Would billing be pro-rated or retractive?

... Well on both occasions, they asked me "Why are you asking me this if you aren't even a Verizon customer???" The first fellow had a rude tone in the way he responded.

The second fellow I spoke with when I called again later on had the same response but wasn't so rude about it. But still???

I was upset especially with the first fellow. Here I am, a high-paying potential customer enquiring about Verizon's policy and he dares to question a comeback as to why I'm asking this question?!?!?! You know what I did? I said this in an adament tone of voice: My god! Sir if you were to walk into a car dealership and leased a car for 2 years, would be it out of the ordinary to ask the salesrep questions regarding the lease terms and policy before signing on the dotted line!!! I am a potential customer enquiring about your company's policy regarding billing and rate plan changes and I would be interested to know this information before signing a 1 yr or 2 yr contract AND YOU ARE ASKING ME WHY I WANT TO KNOW?!?!?! I WANT TO BE INFORMED BEFORE I SIGN UP !!! ... Well the guy went kinda silent, gave me a half-___ answer about how things worked and said, ok wanna sign up? I said "No."

I wouldn't be surprised one bit if Verizon isn't signing up customers in big numbers if these are the type of people you have to deal with when attempting to sign up.