Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Where was my Nokia manufactured?

Discussion in 'NOKIA' started by SoMaji, May 7, 2003.

1. SoMaji

SoMaji New Member

I just paid a lot for my new Nokia 7250. The phone has foreign symbols on the keys (Korean, I think). The user's guide is not in english and it makes references to www.nokia.com.tw website and has international phone numbers for technical support. Under the battery, the label states "Made in Korea" tag. The battery states that it was made in China. With this information, I am assuming this is not a genuine Nokia product. Am I wrong? By the way, Organizer is spelled wrong "Organiser" (ha ha ha).

I am thinking of getting this replaced with another 7250. What should I be looking for?

Please help me out!!!

2. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie
    Super Moderator Junior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 13 Pro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, AT&T Prepaid
    Organizer is only spelled wrong if you are using American English. I think everywhere else in the English-speaking world it is spelled with an "S". Just like defense is spelled defence elsewhere. Color v colour. etc, etc.

As for where the phone was made, I am stretching way back, but I think my old Nokia 7160 was made somewhere is Asia (Malaysia?).

3. SoMaji

SoMaji New Member

AnthroMatt--
    Thanks for a quick response. I appreciate it. But, on your 7160, do you have oriental symbols on your keypad? I have a Nokia 7210 as well and it came with an English manual with tech support numbers for the United states along with references to www.nokiausa.com website, and it is made in Japan and so is the battery. I paid a lot for that one. But, now there are 7210 that you can buy for $225 that are made in Korea and have oriental symbols on the keypad.

4. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie
    Super Moderator Junior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 13 Pro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, AT&T Prepaid
    LOL, no, my 7160 did not have Asian language characters on the keypad. It may be a genuine Nokia, just not one that was intended for sale in the USA.

5. SoMaji

SoMaji New Member

Well, I have been talking to a few people about this and I have gathered this so far:

Original Nokia products from the Nokia manufacturing plant itself come from Finland, Germany, Malaysia, and USA. Everything else is sub-contracted (or so they say).

Is there anyone out there that can verify/deny this? Any/All information is greatly appreciated.

6. ryanjudy

ryanjudy Junior Member

Your phone is probably a Chinese version for China/ Hong Kong, Nokia does not make any phones in Japan, the biggest factories are in Finland and China.

Your product is probably genuine, just not intended for sale in the US. Your software is not the American version (maybe a carrier will flash it for you when they begin to sell the phone) You would have to buy a new keypad if the Chinese phonetic symbols bother you.

Your phone probably isn't warrantied in the USA, but essentially its the same phone with different software and keypad, change those and your set.

I have a Chinese version 7210, made in China w/ chinese characters on the keypad, also no english manual. It works fine, I just flashed it. someday I will buy a new keypad.

In asia it is very common that people believe the handsets made in finland are better, most models such as the 7210 are made in both finland and china with the finland versions selling for more... but the country of manufacturer doesn't affect the country of sale, so phones made in China can be sold as US versions w/ english, and so on.

7. SoMaji

SoMaji New Member

ryanjudy--

Thanks for the information. Just one more thing, how can I change the software?

8. ryanjudy

ryanjudy Junior Member

Well, if your phone is sold by your carrier , they can update it for free... and even do you a great favor by locking the fone to their service.

Since it wasn't , that wont help.

Nokia can update the software, but I don't think they will on phones sold outside the USA.

I'd check E-bay, or post on this forum to see who can flash your particular model. Since Aiwapro sells these phones, he might have the ablilty to flash them.