Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Where is this Verizon ED-DO signal coming from?

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by Yankees368, Jul 31, 2005.

1. Blue_Tech

Blue_Tech Member

My Phone:
    LG VX6000
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Bluegrass Cellular
    The combination of Walsh codes on the forward link, and Pseudo-random Noise codes on the reverse link make this possible on paper, but thats where it stops ;) .

44,000 is not, and probably never going to be possible due to real world constraints. Namely, because as you stated, the 1.25Mhz spread that were working with.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    Blue_Tech, I have another question for you since you are knowlegable on the subject.

I know that, generally, the more people that are talking on a cellsite/sector, the higher the noise level or Ec/Io of that sector. If the noise level gets too high, calls start to be choppy/ drop. How does a carrier lower the noise level on the site/sector? I don't think adding T-1 lines would help in this case...would it be adding capacity of what the site itself can handle?
    Thanks,
    Andy

3. COtech

COtech Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sam. Galaxy SII Skyrocket
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T Mobility
    When the noise floor stays high consistantly because of many users, it's time for the carrier to add RF capacity by putting another 1.25 MHz channel in service on that sector of the site. Then you'll likely need some more capacity between the cellsite and the carrier's switch, so plan to add T-1 lines from your friendly ILEC.

COtech

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. MeatChicken

MeatChicken Senior Member

My Phone:
    HTC ONE M9
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW
    There is not much you can do to reduce high noise EC/IO on a given carrier freq.
    Putting screens behind the panels, good forward & reverse power control minimizes somewhat, but as the prev. poster said, you eventually have to add another carrier freq (if available).

5. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Thanks for the information, guys. I guess if no more carriers are available to put on the site, then a new site needs to be added to relieve the old one.
    This stuff is interesting :)

6. Yankees368

Yankees368 Compulsive Signal Checker

My Phone:
    iPhones 4S???
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, Sprint 2002-2010, Voicestream 2001-2002
    OK, back to the original topic. I took a pic of a tower yesterday, and this is what my home tower should look like. If this is Verizon, it would be a tower that has been upgraded to EV-DO, correct?

Attached Files:

7. MeatChicken

MeatChicken Senior Member

My Phone:
    HTC ONE M9
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW
    Yes, due to the 1900 panel, but it looks more like a Cingular site if the picture is from the NY/NJ area.
    VZW's upgraded sites all have 2 inner flat 1900 panels ( that I have seen), while many of ATT (Cing)'s are the sites with 1 1900 panel between the 800's (here in the NY market) .....

8. Yankees368

Yankees368 Compulsive Signal Checker

My Phone:
    iPhones 4S???
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, Sprint 2002-2010, Voicestream 2001-2002
    This may be cingular. I snapped this going about 60 MPH while on the LIRR, so I have no clue as to what carrier this may be.

9. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    I agree with MeatChicken, this might be a Cingular site, but I might be wrong. It's definitely 800/1900 though :)