Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Where have all the simple phones gone?

Discussion in 'Verizon Wireless Forum' started by ZaphodB, Apr 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ZaphodB

ZaphodB Signal Go Down De Hole...

My Phone:
    LG VX5600
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon(US) Orange(FR)
    Hi everybody—

It's been a long, long time. I haven't been keeping up (at all) with the wireless industry because I've taken on some food writing.

My NE2 is coming up next week and I am very glad about this—my LG Voyager, the seventh I've had in the last 2 years, is a total piece of garbage and I can't wait to get rid of it.

Here's the problem. I don't need any data. I don't need music. I just need a flip phone that is reliable and does phone calls, text messaging and maybe Bluetooth. I don't want to pay for a data plan I won't use, and I don't want a touchscreen phone from Verizon ever again. I have an iPhone 3GS through work that handles all of my data needs.

I've been burned pretty badly... any suggestions?

Thanks WAers!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. M in LA

M in LA Mobile 25 Years Plus
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Max, iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    Hey Zaphod! Welcome back!!!

Boy I must have lucked out with the Voyager I got, as it's been rock solid from day one (over two years now). Never any problems or issues. In fact, it's the best phone I've ever owned. Sorry about the problems you've been having with it.

Because of the issues with the Voyager, would you prefer to stay away from LG? I ask as I'd trust their low-end phones over Samsung anyday. The Accolade is a simple flip phone by them, or there's the new bar-type Cosmos, which has a slide-out QWERTY keyboard. Neither phone requires data. The Accolade is $10 and the Cosmos is $30

If I were to recommend a Samsung, it would only be the Convoy. It is rated at 4 1/2 out of 5 stars on the VZ site. I'm not so sure on any Motorola flips anymore.

The only other phone I would recommend is the Nokia Shade. It is an actual Nokia (no more Pantech). It is fairly low-end, but it does have Bluetooth.

All of these phones are on VZ's "Feature Phones" tab, which do not require data.

Hope this helps and I look forward to seeing you around these parts again! :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Essential PH-1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    Good to see you check in! I was just thinking about you last week. The problem is that simple phones aren't as profitable as others because the carriers want to sell you data and texting, and anything else they can get you to try. I know personally I've had a really bad experience with LG, and I will probably never buy one again. Does Motorola still have a simple phone available for VZW? That would probably be my best bet.

4. Buickman

Buickman Gearhead/Gadget freak

My Phone:
    BB 9550, Moto Droid
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon on both phones
    If you are looking for a basic flip phone with no data I would recommend the LG VX5600 Accolade.

5. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, AT&T based Tracfone, T-Mobile
    Although the Motorola Entice (W766) is under the "3G Multimedia" category of phones, data is NOT a requirement on this phone. Just wanted to put that out there :) Also, the Barrage (a PTT phone), doesn't require a data plan either

#5 QLR, Apr 1, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2010
  6. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    My friend has the Cosmos and she LOVES it. She is actually glad that her Rival was stolen. She had too many problems with it. Full retail pricing isn't bad $190... $30 before NE2 is nice:browani:; She has the Shade as well and she has no complaints FWIW

7. ZaphodB

My Phone:
    LG VX5600
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon(US) Orange(FR)
    I saw your phonelist, MM, and wondered. My Voyagers have all just been a disaster after another. On one the battery busted and leaked acid all over my desk. One had a cracked screen despite the protector. one kept unlocking in my pocket and rang up huge data bills because it sensed touch and would go out to the Web. Two had the unlock switch stop working, one had broken BT and this current one won't keep the touchscreen registration, so I can't dial the 3, 6, 9 or # keys unless I open the flip, in which case I can't reclose it without disconnecting the call or using BT.

I had to have all data blocked on my account, which means my wife can't send or receive MMS either. I'd like to get that block removed but I won't do it until I get a phone that can't access the Web or that ridiculous GIN from the outside keys. It was so bad and I spent so long arguing on the phone every month that I considered just leaving Verizon after nearly 10 years as a customer.

No, I'm done with the Voyager and may it rot in H-E-double hockey sticks. The best phone I ever had was the LG VX4500, a cheapo that just went and went and went. My wife has an LG flip she likes, the 8300 I think.

I'll take a look at the phones in the thread. Given that they're cheap, I get a corporate discount and my NE2 anyway, I may go into the store and fiddle with the phones in person; no need for the online discount.

Thanks everybody!

8. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Hope all works out for you :)

9. JFB

JFB Gold Senior Member
    Administrator Super Moderator

My Phone:
    Essential PH-1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Simple Mobile (T-Mobile MVNO)

Tell us where we can read your writings about food. :drool:

10. ZaphodB

My Phone:
    LG VX5600
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon(US) Orange(FR)
    I ended up with the LG, incidentally, and thus far am loving it; it does what's needed and the battery life (a major quibble with both the Voyager and the iPhone) is insanely wonderful. Thank you for the recommendation!

As for my food writings, my personal blog is Mange l'Orange (not very often updated) and one to which I contribute is Orange County Restaurants and Dining - Stick a Fork In It - OC Weekly (caution, there is often salty language).

11. M in LA

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Max, iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    Glad it worked out for you, Zaphod :). Out of curiosity, did you get the Accolade or the Cosmos?

12. deedoc01

deedoc01 New Member

ok maybe i can help you, i sell cellphones and service. True nation wide 3g service. If you are still in the market for a simple flip cellular with just unlimited talk and text nationwide contact me.

13. M in LA

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Max, iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    The OP has already purchased a phone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.