Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

What's with the IRRITATING BUZZ/FEEDBACK sound with GSM phones?!

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by Murdoc, Dec 30, 2002.

1. Murdoc

Murdoc Junior Member

What's with the IRRITATING BUZZ/FEEDBACK/INTERFERENCE sound with GSM phones?! I noticed that if my phone is close to the TV or the computer speaker or anything, I get this irritating buzz before a call or a message comes in, and the buzz continues during the call. Also, I sometimes hear the buzz while I'm on a call. WHAT IS THAT, and why is it only with GSM phones?

2. josepho

josepho Junior Member

Well, I must say I'm very familiar with this phenomenon. It happens mainly with my computer monitor (it flickers) or when I'm talking on the landline and I get a call/message on my mobile (it makes a funny noise). I don't know exactly why it is, must be to do with the magnetic field created around the phone when it's active (please correct me on this - I'm no physicist).

I can't believe, though, that it would only do it on GSM. Presumably it might only do it on certain frequencies, but surely not only on certain types of transmission. Perhaps in the past you've only used 800Mhz and so you haven't experienced what happens on 1900Mhz (I've only ever used 1800Mhz though I'm pretty sure it happens on 900Mhz too!).

3. jmccrane

jmccrane Bronze Senior Member

I got it with my old 800 MHz TDMA phones, but not with my 1900 MHz CDMA. I thought it was a technology thing, not a frequemcy thing, but I could be wrong. Does it happen with anyone using 1900MHz TDMA (like AT&T)?

4. emag0rad

emag0rad Senior Member

IS-136 (what people refer to as TDMA) and GSM are TDMA based technologies. Both of these protocols rapidly pulse the RF signal (which is the buzzing sound you hear. Poorly sheilded electronic equipment (particularily cheap, amplified computer speakers) woll exhibit this phenomenom. Also, equipment that have strong magnetic fields (such as computer monitors) will be effected. GSM interference sounds like Morse code and thats why I call it Global System for Morse.

5. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    CDMA phones do not cause this interference. Any phone based on TDMA technology (IS-136, GSM, iDEN) will interfere with most electronics, including your stereo, you car radio, etc. Nextel's iDEN phones seem to be the worse. This pulsating can be damaging to certain electronics if placed too close to the phone so be careful. My TDMA phone pulses are powerful enough to reset my VCR! They also make my wireless mouse go wild!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. ZaphodB

ZaphodB Signal Go Down De Hole...

My Phone:
    LG VX5600
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon(US) Orange(FR)
    I have this mental image of your wireless mouse jumping around while your TDMA phone plays the Hamster Dance.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. josepho

josepho Junior Member

Both an interesting explanation and an interesting mental image [​IMG]

8. spanky

spanky Junior Member

Thanks for the explanation Bobolito n' emag0rad:

I have a baby monitor, and perodically its been having horrible inteference problems.

After reading this - I realized I keep my work phone right next to the monitor reciever - and sometimes I forget to turm it off!

Problem solved!

Thanks again.

spanky

9. xtoddler2

xtoddler2 Junior Member

My old ATT/Cellone TDMA did it....my roommates T-Mobile GSM (TDMA) does it....hell, even my sisters Qwest Wireless ( I believe is TDMA as well) does it, but my Sprint PCS (CDMA) and Verizon (CDMA) dont do it.. I think its a frequency thing, a proximity thing, as well as a technological failure to shield magnetic, radio, and other sorts of waves for electronic devices...

With that said..Imagine what they do to your brain..I know Im on my phone well over my unlimited minutes allow...Im sure Sprint PCS wants to charge me LOTS more then they can....hehe!!!

Im soooo dying of cancer after all my phone usage...haha...

enjoy