Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

What's up with Sprint up here?

Discussion in 'Central US Wireless Forum' started by TWX, Jan 5, 2008.

1. Dogma

Dogma Senior Member

My Phone:
    Moto Razr
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel/Verizon

How does that work if the FCC says 4.0 Watts (36dBm) is the maximum ERP allowed? Is there that much loss through the combiner/cable/connections? Or is the singal attenuated down before it leaves?

2. cellular_freak

cellular_freak Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone 5S 64GB White
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    I can tell you for sure that I notice this on my phone (Verizon) while I'm on Thumb Cellular's network (where Verizon's towers are out of reach) and I also notice it on my family's GSM AT&T phones. I notice when I hold their old Dobson/CellularOne phones next to their AT&T phones that the Dobson phones will have full signal but the AT&T phones will not. This is due to the fact that AT&T has not taken over the Dobson towers and converted them to 310-410 yet, but either way, it still holds for any company. You have lower priority, basically, because your phone is constantly trying to find it's home network so it's not getting the full service that it should unless you're right next to the tower.

3. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    That is absolutely not true and you cannot compare a CDMA example with Dobson/AT&T integration.

4. strunke

strunke .:|Always Covered|:.

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8230, KRZR K1m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel, T-Mobile, Sprint, Centennial
    For Alien. iPCS is bad. No further discussion necessary. LOL You will run into weak signal areas where your phone is hanging on to the last remnants of sprint and not going to the better alltel signal. You can force roam....but I think iPCS doesn't allow free roaming like the corporate markets do. So you will have to watch out for that....unless they recently changed it, which they may have.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. TWX

TWX Mobile Enthusiast

My Phone:
    iPhone 5s
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T

Lol, :lmao: yea up here in Northern Michigan iPCS just sucks. I can't speak for their other area in the midwest, but up here, they are horrible. I really wish Sprint would just buy them :O and then it probably would improve.

6. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    I believe they do offer free roaming now like corporate.

7. TWX

TWX Mobile Enthusiast

My Phone:
    iPhone 5s
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Yea they do. I think. I thought someone said they were advertising free roaming up here now.

8. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    As bad as everyone says IPCS is in their territories I know for a fact that they have greatly expanded their cell sites numbers in the past 2 years. So they're a lot better now than they were in 2005.

9. RadioFoneGuy

RadioFoneGuy Powered by HTC FUZE

My Phone:
    Nokia 6103, 6010, 2260
    Wireless Provider(s):
    The death star formally known as Cell One.
    actually the new ATT phones that are handed out in old Cellone areas and ATT near Dobson Markets are set up to put 410 as the primary system. So if you are sitting under a Cell One tower that phone may be looking for a tower that is 5 miles away, all it takes is one bar of service to stop it.

10. RadioFoneGuy

My Phone:
    Nokia 6103, 6010, 2260
    Wireless Provider(s):
    They have billboards and signs in their stores about free roaming.

11. cellular_freak

My Phone:
    iPhone 5S 64GB White
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Yeah, I already know that the SIMs have 410 on them, cuz why wouldn't they if they are AT&T SIMs. The thing is though, is that even when we're sitting at home, right next to a Dobson tower, the Dobson phone will display full service and the AT&T phone will fluctuate, which wouldn't happen if the Dobson tower was 310-410 and not 310-680. AT&T's nearest towers have to be a good thirty miles away, so they can't be interfering on the phone. This clearly must show that the AT&T phone is trying to find a 310-410 tower due to the fact that that is what is listed first on the SIM. And I can almost guarantee that when AT&T changes Dobson's towers over to 310-410, all of the Dobson customers will be complaining of the same thing. Their phones will be searching for 310-680 first and there will be no such towers anymore!

12. RadioFoneGuy

My Phone:
    Nokia 6103, 6010, 2260
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Even 30 miles away is enuff to do the trick. It similar to roaming if your phone get a wiff of its home network it will go back to it.

Im with you I wish they would hurry up and re-flash the phones. The 2 networks have been talking to each other for a few years now. They need to change the network code to 410 and reflash both ATT and Dobson customers for it to work correctly.

They are doing it slow to get people use to the idea of Cellular One becomming ATT. It similar to the Cingular is now the new ATT commercials to get people used to the name change.
    ATT cant make Cellular One is the new ATT commercials due to the fact that there are other smaller companies out there that were paying Dobson to use the Cell One Name.

I tell people that ask me about getting ATT plans or staying on Dobson plans, I tell them all to hold out a couple of months till everything is ironed out. I have already heard of a few problems with the first batch of ATT phones that were sold in Dobson stores. The problems are mostly with dropped calls. I guarentee if you unlock your folks new ATT phones and put your old Dobson Sims back in, it would probably work better.

13. RadioFoneGuy

My Phone:
    Nokia 6103, 6010, 2260
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Another thought, have your folks call 611 and have them asked to get Network selection put on their phones. Sometimes you get lucky and they will. With network selection you can put it to manual and force it to stay 680 until things change.

14. cellular_freak

My Phone:
    iPhone 5S 64GB White
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    No, I'm actually really positive that we're still using Dobson's towers, LOL. We're WAY too far away from the counties that have AT&T towers. You won't start to catch those towers until you get a little closer. I live in an area that has a very odd geography and where we are, we live in a valley inside surrounded by hills and then the AT&T towers would be in the valley on the other side of the hills. Also, when you make a wrong call, it takes you to a Dobson error message. And if I would by chance pick up a signal from that far away, it wouldn't be 4-5 bars, it would be 0-1 bars and it would be unusable. The phones are completely usable and like I said, have 4-5 bars by the towers. It's just that it's odd that they wouldn't have full service like the Dobson phones.

15. RadioFoneGuy

My Phone:
    Nokia 6103, 6010, 2260
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Thats odd, like I said I have heard of similar problems. They may have a fix for it now that is been over a month since they offered ATT phones. Call up 611 and have them send the newest OTA.

16. RadioFoneGuy

My Phone:
    Nokia 6103, 6010, 2260
    Wireless Provider(s):

Thats not the fact for the tower power, some carriers claim 75-100 ERP at the antenna.

I know that the handsets are set at 33dbm for 1900 and 36 for 850.

You loose about half your power thru a combiner. If your running 45 watts you will get 20-25 watts based on quality of your cables and going thru lighting protection.

17. Cailiff04

Cailiff04 Senior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S5
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T

every carrier has their dead spots....no carrier has the "perfect coverage"

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  18. TelcomJunkie

TelcomJunkie Bad Handoff Investigator

Wireless Provider(s):
    Big Brother
    He said excellent, not perfect. Excellent!=Perfect. Larry is just bringing up that the argument of 800mhz networks are automatically better than 1900 is a farse. Both networks can be just as bad, it's all in the design and implementation. Likewise, a 1900 carrier can knock the socks off an 800 carrier if they design it right.

19. RadioFoneGuy

My Phone:
    Nokia 6103, 6010, 2260
    Wireless Provider(s):
    I had Voicestream out in Seattle back in 2001 and was pretty happy with it.

My companies uses both 850 and 1900 and they work well together. 1900 has excellant voice quality and supports data well but the propagation characteristics are not as desireable as 850.

IN my 1900 only area the covereage is no were as good and the towers are only 3 miles apart. This is mostly due to the terrain.

20. tyler101868

tyler101868 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 6265i
    Wireless Provider(s):
    US Cellular
    IPCS is offering "free roaming" in some markets, as a "add-on" in others (including central IL, where I am) and not at all in others. 50/50 still apply, but it's a step in the right direction. At least from an agent standpoint, Sprint customer service has improved greatly here over the last couple of months. The CSR's in the Denver call center are excellent. It's been a good move getting away from overseas customer service. This IPCS thing really needs to get worked out for Sprint to move forward though.

21. RadioFoneGuy

My Phone:
    Nokia 6103, 6010, 2260
    Wireless Provider(s):
    If you press 611 as an iPCS customer does it goto iPCS or Sprint?

Does an iPCS phone roam on Corporate markets? Just a thought.

My Grandma has a Immaculate iPCS Katana that almost out of contract, maybe I can borrow it and do some tests. My grandma hates her service, she had something like 50 dropped calls that they credited her for. Her service has gotten so bad she said she forwards her phone to her friends Alltel phone anytime she goes out.

22. RadioFoneGuy

My Phone:
    Nokia 6103, 6010, 2260
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Speaking of iPCS and the Katana, I had to put in all my grandmas contacts in her phone book and the UI wasnt to bad to deal with.

23. cellular_freak

My Phone:
    iPhone 5S 64GB White
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    I believe that they go to regular Sprint customer care. My friend's sister has a Sprint (iPCS) phone and I believe everything appears to be "normal" as far as that goes. It's just really odd as to what would happen if a customer had a problem with their service and they needed to send out a ticket for service on a tower or something, which Sprint wouldn't be able to do. I bet customers get surprised all the time when they find out that they really have iPCS (most people are oblivious to the fact that they have iPCS and not Sprint). It would be so funny if they called 611 though and it said "Welcome to iPCS!" People wouldn't know who they just called.

24. RadioFoneGuy

My Phone:
    Nokia 6103, 6010, 2260
    Wireless Provider(s):
    People constantly ask me questions about every thing Cellular to include phones and plans and carrier. I tell them the truth in IMO. I tell them that North of Grand Rapids you have 2 main choices either Alltel or Cell One (att) if you want coverage most of the time. Nextel is a distant
    3rd for coverage, then iPCS and finally Verizon. Verizons network up North is small but is better covered in the areas they cover and the network was build real well.

I try to explain that Sprint is not really Sprint but a mom and pop company using Sprints name and it floors people and most dont understand. Then they usuall will bring up one of the great MVNO phones and plans which the first few they name run on Sprint.

The iPCS network has good bones it just need someone to put some money and muscle into it.
    They need to get tower contractors out to all of it and check it over. The stuff i have run into make it look like the government owns it. (lowest bidder) And im not trying to be funny.

25. music4praise

music4praise Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola W766
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, Ting
    You left off Centennial which has the other 850 band (A side) north of Grand Rapids. They work prettty well and then you roam on AT&T to get the rest of their Northern Michigan coverage. I would put them third.

26. RadioFoneGuy

My Phone:
    Nokia 6103, 6010, 2260
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Yah your right, Centennial kicks in around houghton Lake are and goes south. Where they are I would put them above Nextel, their Network still need quite abit more tower but not to bad and they have pretty loyal customers. I was bummed when Dobson and Centennial couldnt come up with buyout price. Financially Centennial is in the dumps and alot of their employees have left, I met a Engineering Manager out at a tower during a power outage and he went to Nextel.

In the Centennial areas I Put Alltel first barely bumping out Cellone and Centennial go back and forth in 2nd position. Cell ONe has more towers but is 1900 in Centennial area. Nextel is a close 3rd. Once you get by Grand Rapids draw a line all the way to Muskegeon and all the way to Bay City and its a totally different ball game.

It goes to show Carriers vary by markets.

It I had to choose I would have Cell One up North and Either Alltel or Verizon for the Rest of MI. I prefere Alltel but Verizon covers the main Metro areas. Maybe I would go Verizon and use a non Verizon phone on that network.