Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Whats up with Alltel and Eastern KY!

Discussion in 'Alltel Forum' started by Hatchetman41527, Oct 30, 2006.

1. Hatchetman41527

Hatchetman41527 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Sanyo S1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint, Alltel
    Does anyone have any good news from Alltel about a friendly roaming agreement with Appalachian Wireless?

I've heard several rumors and tidbits about a future friendly agreement, but no such luck yet.

Just wondering

2. HATMAN

HATMAN New Member

My Phone:
    Motorola V262
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel U, TRACFONE, Page Plus, U S Cellular (pp)
    Is this the area you are wanting to roam on ???

http://www.appwireless.com/?page=localcoverage

3. NCTM

NCTM New Member

My Phone:
    Motorola E815
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel, Nextel/Boost
    I would hope they could work something out...I still have ex-inlaws in Prestonsburg that I am close to and I would like to be able to not worry about service while there the next time I visit :)

4. UFO

UFO Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Palm Centro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint and alltel
    Good news for you. You shouldn't have a problem visiting Prestonsburg with a National Freedom Plan. A Sprint affiliate now covers a stretch in Eastern KY from around Pikeville to Paintsville including Prestonsburg. This is a free roam on the National Freedom plan. The National Freedom maps were just updated on the Alltel website to include that area. Although it's still true that the highways into those areas aren't covered this should really help you out. Last time I was in the area it was a free roam. But I've not heard anything new about a friendly roam on the National Freedom plan with App Wireless, sorry hatchetman. Maybe somebody else can give you good news.

5. Hatchetman41527

My Phone:
    Sanyo S1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint, Alltel
  6. Hatchetman41527

My Phone:
    Sanyo S1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint, Alltel
    UFO,

I travel the US 23 corridor from Pikeville to Ashland every day. The sprint coverage on my phone sucks. I have a Moto V710, does great on everything but sprint.

I only get one bar of signal with occasional spikes to 3 or 4 on the sprint SID, however cannot make a call until it changes SID's to App Wireless.

It seems Sprint needs to address this, or maybe I need a new phone. LOL

7. UFO

UFO Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Palm Centro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint and alltel
    LOL I really doubt it's the phone. "Sprint" does cover the area, but they don't really. It's a Sprint affiliate that covers E. KY. Horizon PCS I think, and I also remember reading about a merger between them and iPCS, another Sprint affiliate not to long ago.

The point I'm trying to get to is that the Sprint affiliate there, iPCS has a horrible reputation for providing good coverage. It seems like they really don't care about building a good network. Sprint has been buying out affiliates at a quick pace all over the country but because "Sprint" coverage is just a little island in E KY, I wouldn't hold my breath that Sprint will do anything about it anytime soon. iPCS also appears to be quite happy not selling out at this point considering all their legal battles with Sprint for other reasons. But if you're in the area you might get lucky and get a good "Sprint" signal from time to time. Last time I was in Pikeville it wasn't great, but it wasn't bad. You were right though, I don't remember being over 3 bars and the call quality wasn't that good. And I'm sure it gets worse outside of Pikeville.

Now that Alltel allows roaming on Bluegrass hopefully Appalachian is one of their next targets.

8. Hatchetman41527

My Phone:
    Sanyo S1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint, Alltel
    "Now that Alltel allows roaming on Bluegrass hopefully Appalachian is one of their next targets."

One can only hope.

You are right about Horizon PCS and iPCS. I used to work for a company that had some Horizon PCS equipment on a couple of their towers.

Away from here (Parkersburg,WV) Horizon had excellent coverage, especially at and in the radius of the 3 sites leased from my former employer.