Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

What's the strongest signal you've measured?

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by bobolito, Jan 19, 2004.

1. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Viewfly, the 6340i is like 2 phones in one. So the TDMA side of the phone is not really connected to the GSM side of it. Therefore, it has two different Field Test programs (one for TDMA another for GSM) that behave independently and that's why you see the differences in the range. The TDMA Nokias have a range of -51dBm to -113dBm as you said so the TDMA side of the 6340i behaves like other TDMA Nokias. GSM Nokias stop at -108dBm but I don't know what's the highest they can measure. Therefore, the GSM side of the 6340i behaves as any other GSM Nokia. The highest I've measured on the 6340i is -33dBm standing about 50 feet from a T-Mobile/Cingular GSM site here in Paterson.

The reading of -20dBm I got was using an LG 4050 in NYC. It looks like it can go higher than that.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Bobolito, I know that my phone will switch out to TDMA at -108, but I also know that while on a GSM tower, screens 3,4, and 5 in GSM field test will show surrounding towers Rx.....and that meter will read as low as -113dBm (ie as low as the TDMA meter).

I wonder

1) do pure GSM phones cut out at -108 or -113dBm?
    2) If one of our friends with an amplifier (Smoothtalker or the like) will tell us how high they can get their GSM power meter to peak? 20 or 30 dB receiver gain next to a tower should max the meter out.
    3) how do you tell what freq band one is on with the Nokia GSM field test menus?

3. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    1) Both meters on the 6340i, the one in screen 0101 and the others (0105, 0106, 0107) that show the surrounding towers should cut off at the same point. I know that you say that when the 01-01 screen reaches -108 the 6340i switches to TDMA, but that's not always true. The phone will begin searching for other GSM channels before it attempts to switch to TDMA (unless it is on Cingular Extend in which case it won't wait until it loses the signal). It will try to switch to TDMA after an unsuccessful scan of GSM channels. A GSM scan is triggered when the control channel is lost which usually happens around -108. But that can vary depending on RF conditions. Sometimes a scan can be triggered at -104 or even lower than -108. I double checked my 6340i and it looks like it can go lower than -108. The lowest I've seen it go is -110dBm on BOTH the 01 screen and the others 05, 06, 07 but that doesn't seem the lowest it can go. It seems it can go lower than that. So whatever the lowest level is, it should be the same for both the 01 screen and the 05, 06, 07.

2) I don't have an amplifier.

3) I don't have the exact numbers but if you see the channel numbers are in the 100's range, you are in 800Mhz block A. The 200's range means you are in the B block 800Mhz. PCS starts with channel 512 which is block A. Then the D block goes around channels 585 - 610 approx. After than you have the B block which probably ends around channel 665. Then the E block which ends near 700. Then the F block ending around 715, and finally, the C block which ends at channel 800. So depending on the channel number, that's how you know the band/block you are in.
    I believe every 30Mhz block has 75 channels and every 10Mhz block has 25 channels. The 800Mhz blocks should have some 60+ channels each.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Bobolito,

Thanks for the answer on 3. I've been mostly in the 200's with some 500's readings.

I know now how to decipher between the 1900 and 850 Mhz bands.

Best,

5. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Yes, CT is in the 800Mhz B band. The 500's that you see is probably when you roam on T-Mobile.

6. TambourineMan

TambourineMan New Member

Does anyone know how to get into the equivalent of the NBokia's "field test mode" on a Sony Ericsson T616?

7. NYCDru

NYCDru Sprint Newbie

My Phone:
    Motrola V3m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint, Verizon(former), ATT(former),
    -38 db at the corner of 27th street and 6th ave, 4 stories u in a building right next to the window across the street from the site. Mind you around lunch time the Network Congestion was horendous( at the time, has since been fixed)

8. azcellphonejunkie

azcellphonejunkie The Cell Phone Junkie

My Phone:
    iPhone 3GS
    Wireless Provider(s):
    ATT, Verizon, Sprint |Prior: Alltel, Nextel
    -47.3 on Sprint PCS 1900 on my Sanyo 8100.

This is in my apartment which has a sprint tower on the rood directly (20 feet) above my head. I'm sure part of my weaker score than you others is because of some sort of umbrella effect.

9. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    How do you get into the Field Test in your Sanyo?

10. azcellphonejunkie

My Phone:
    iPhone 3GS
    Wireless Provider(s):
    #1, make sure you have your MSL for your phone. You may or may not need this

#2 From the main screen, type ##786 then press OK

#3 Go to "Save Phone #" and choose it.

This will get you into the menu that allows you to see all sorts of info. The third option (not sure exactly what the verbage is on this) will get you into a test mode screen. From there the dB measurement will flicker on and off. It will show up for about 1 second every 15 or so seconds. It is very annoying to take readings, but it works...

11. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Once I am in there, how do I get out? and also what is an MSL and how do I get it? I will be trying this on a 5300. I am hoping it works since both the 5300 and 8100 are from the same family.

12. azcellphonejunkie

My Phone:
    iPhone 3GS
    Wireless Provider(s):
    To get out, the easiest way is to just shut the phone off then back on. Depending on what screen you are in, you are able to just hit end and it will take you back to the main screen.

The MSL is short for Master Subsidy Lock code.

Please visit MSL Information for more information about what an MSL is. I would paste it here, but it is very long!!!

13. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Oh, so all you're saying is that the phone needs to be unlocked.

14. momcat1

momcat1 Member

My Phone:
    Nokia N75
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular
    Oh please! Truly a third of Dutchess County is that bad. Been trying to VZW to do something about it for years. The problem is this area has a lot to with the NIMBY's. I was browsing today, and you would not believe the various solutions that have been used in other parts of the country to creatively have the towers and not notice they are towers, including putting them on electrical transmission towers, the tops of telephone poles, and the sides of water towers. It's really unbeliveable that so many people will complain about the bad cell serivce, but yet vote down the addition of more towers. I for one would glady help get more towers placed, but I don't have any location I could offer.

15. momcat1

momcat1 Member

My Phone:
    Nokia N75
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular
    In Dutchess County you won't be able to make/receive calls once your reading is above -90Db. I can attest to that.

16. momcat1

momcat1 Member

My Phone:
    Nokia N75
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular
    The Best Western is a known dead spot. We have monthly meetings and no one can hold a signal there, not with any provider.

17. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    You probably mean below -90dBm. That's probably a network design problem or some interference. I've had that problem sometimes and I can assure you it varies with weather, traffic conditions and time of the day. Maybe at 3:00am on a Monday morning you won't have a problem making calls even below -100dBm.

18. azcellphonejunkie

My Phone:
    iPhone 3GS
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Bobolito, I love the audio clip :)

19. Bugwart

Bugwart Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung SCH i760,
    Wireless Provider(s):
    SKT, Verizon, China Mobile, EPlus
    I have seen "No Service" at the Saucelito Canyon vineyard.

There is no cellular service there from any provider. Once you get back on the "main" road (Hi Mountain Road), there is no signal, until you get to Lopez Lake.

20. Tony E!

Tony E! Retired Mod

My Phone:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Testing out the Slider, i'm getting -70db right now.

21. Yankees368

Yankees368 Compulsive Signal Checker

My Phone:
    iPhones 4S???
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, Sprint 2002-2010, Voicestream 2001-2002
    -47 dB

try to beat that around my area!

22. Tony E!

Tony E! Retired Mod

My Phone:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    If your using your 8100 i'm sure i can just as well in your area with mine.[​IMG]

23. NYCDru

NYCDru Sprint Newbie

My Phone:
    Motrola V3m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    So I am riding the L train to work and I put my phone in Fireld test mode while I am still above ground and i start getting numbers in the 48-58 range. I am looking outside and I notrice several buildings with cell sites on them. Just as my signal looks like it could drop to the mid 40's a train passes by on the other side between me and the site I was probably using and my meeter jumps to 60. So on my wy home i am on the other side of the track and between Atlantic Avenue and Livonial Avenue i pick up numbers in the low 40s and i get a 35 twice in the area. Very cool.

If you look towards the right side of this map at the last 5 stops on the L train you will see were I am talking about.

24. momcat1

momcat1 Member

My Phone:
    Nokia N75
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular

Been there done that. You cannot make or receive calls here below -90. Many times below -87 too.

25. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Are you in some kind of high elevation? Those are the places where cell networks usually have problems even with good signal.

26. Tony E!

Tony E! Retired Mod

My Phone:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Best reading so far on my Slider: -56 db

"how do i get down from this tower?" J/K [​IMG]

27. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    All right. I just came home and measured my strongest signal ever...
    -021 db on Verizon Wireless 800 Mhz network here in Salt Lake City (exact address is 5600 South Van Winkle; I was inside the RC Willey Carpet store and bought a little carpet, then I had to go around the back of the buidling to pick up the carpet and the Verizon site is right there so I put my phone into Field Test and the best I got was -021 db and -2.0 on the EC/IO.
    [​IMG]

28. NYCDru

NYCDru Sprint Newbie

My Phone:
    Motrola V3m
    Wireless Provider(s):

Yopu mean like RIGHT THERE to get measurements like that dude. The guys who work there may have to worry about there boys if you know what I mean. [​IMG][​IMG]

29. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    Of course [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Well, just to add something I forgot which the creator of this thread wanted to know, I was using a VX 6000.
    Andy

30. agentHibby

agentHibby Iowa Cellular Guru

My Phone:
    Nokia 6256i
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    You can't until you get cancer LOL! [​IMG]