Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

What's the best Android phone today?

Discussion in 'ANDROID Phones, Tablets and Devices' started by Scrumhalf, Jul 10, 2014.

1. Scrumhalf

Scrumhalf Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Xiaomi Mi Mix 3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T, Sprint
    I have a HTC One X. My contract has expired and I'm looking to see what to get next. The HTC One M8 sounds pretty good. I've never been a Samsung guy and know nothing about their phones. A part of me is thinking of getting the pure Android experience with a Google Nexus, but the device seems to be not cutting edge, although having a bloatware-free unlocked phone has is appeal.

Any ideas or suggestions? This is for AT&T. What else is out there that I should check out?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Joseph Carter likes this.
  2. dmapr

dmapr Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    Unless you want the super-hi-res QHD screen and removable battery the best phone right now seems to be the Xperia Z2 D6503 model. It's got beefy specs and has world-wide LTE support. The Xperia Android is very lightly skinned, and Sony has been pretty good with updates lately. Alternatively, Cyanogenmod is available as well.

3. Scrumhalf

My Phone:
    Xiaomi Mi Mix 3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T, Sprint
    Xperia, eh? Is that only available unlocked at Amazon and such? I don't think I saw one in the AT&T website.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. dmapr

dmapr Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    Yes, most likely. I haven't really paid any attention to AT&T phones, but I've never seen any mention of the AT&T in the Sony store, only an occasional T-Mobile.

5. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    I wouldn't get an AT&T branded Xperia, they treated mine like a step child and then declared it EOL after 3 months. In the meantime the rest of the world were 2 versions ahead of me, so I ended up by de branding mine and downloading the latest update directly from the Sony website.

If you do want an AT&T phone, the M8 is a good choice. I have the Motorola X, that I am very happy with, it is pretty close to pure Android. So it maybe worth waiting for the update to it, the X+1 or X2 or whatever it's going to be called.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#5 charlyee, Jul 11, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2014
  6. Scrumhalf

My Phone:
    Xiaomi Mi Mix 3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T, Sprint
    Just don't want to pay the full cost of an unbranded phone. M8 at $99 sounds like a decent deal at the moment. I just picked up a TMobile SIM for $0.01 as part of some sale that they were having, so I'll probably unlock my HTC One X this weekend (got the code from ATT a while ago).

7. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Have you decided on staying with Android? If not you may want to wait for the next WP or the iPhone 6

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

8. Scrumhalf

My Phone:
    Xiaomi Mi Mix 3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T, Sprint
    Yeah, thought about that as well.

With a new car on the way, I have become very interested in mobile in-vehicle connectivity. I might wait a few months to see how the dust settles on the iPhone vs Android car connectivity announcements that just came out before deciding if I want to switch over again.

I'll probably start another thread on in-vehicle connectivity to see what you guys think about that. IMO, the next big revolution that's going to happen in the next year is seamless phone-car connectivity for entertainment, navigation, communication, etc.

Sent from my XT603 using Tapatalk 2

9. Enamul

Enamul New Member

My Phone:
    S3
    Samsung Galaxy S6 is the best.

10. CopyGenie11

CopyGenie11 New Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 6
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I think that the recent, and current, lines of Samsung's phones are the best out there. While the HTC One line is good, for an Android phone, your best money is spent on the Samsung line.

If you want a large screen, the Galaxy Note 4.

If you want a slightly smaller screen, the Galaxy S5, while a little outdated, is a good one as well.

But for a perfect blend of screen size, thickness and aesthetic design, the Galaxy S6 is the best one out there right now.

I've written a number of reviews about all these Android phones, and you can check some of them out on a blog I contribute to if you'd like. Click Here for more information.

#10 CopyGenie11, May 14, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2015