Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

whats better tdma or gsm

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by njsvrzncdma, Aug 15, 2002.

1. njsvrzncdma

njsvrzncdma i cant stop the ringing..

My Phone:
    LG vx8500
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VERIZON
    i have cingular and i have both tdma and gsm from cingular. i thought gsm was supposed to be better. my tdma v60 destroyd my gsm v60 in coverage and reception. i live in nj. whats the deal with this. its not the phone i returned it 3 times for a new one.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. nester

nester New Member

It all depends on where you live really... Cingular only supports GSM in the NYC market, which includes part of northern NJ. Anywhere you use Cingular GSM (in this area anyway) you are actually using VoiceStream's system (loved by some, hated by others). I have Cingular TDMA myself and am content with the service. A guy I know who lives across the street from me tried out Cingular GSM and returned it during his trial period because it sucked for him. I personally wouldn't want a GSM-only phone at this point, because nationwide there is more TDMA coverage than GSM. GSM is a superior technology, but without a usable signal, any phone is worthless. I'm looking forward to the availability of GAIT phones; then we can use our Cingular service on either of their networks (TDMA/GSM). Unfortunately, I've not heard anything about Motorola making a GAIT phone, only Nokia and Ericsson. A GAIT version of the v60 would be sweet; hopefully someone from Motorola reads these forums. [​IMG]

3. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    GAIT phones should be available next week according to Cingular beginning the 18th.
    Just out of curiosity, njscngulrgsm, how did you get one GSM and one TDMA phone from Cingular? Where in NJ do you live? I thought that if you lived from Middlesex County to the south, you could only subscribe to TDMA service only. In addition, it was my understanding that you could only subscribe to GSM service if you lived north of Middlesex County. This is because of the boudaries of the market. Anyways, if you travel to the north with your TDMA phone, you will be using AT&T's system. Whether one phone works better than the other really depends on who has a better signal in your location, either AT&T or Voicestream if you are in North Jersey. In Central/South Jersey service is provided by either Voicestream (GSM) or Cingular (TDMA).

Personally, I feel just like Nester. I wouldn't switch to GSM at this point. My brother uses Voicestream and his phone barely picks up a signal in our home. My Cingular phone (TDMA) works great anywhere in our house.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. njsvrzncdma

My Phone:
    LG vx8500
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VERIZON
    i live in union county nj. there is a cingular about 5 min away from my house and that is a gsm location. there is another cingular about 30 min away from me and that is a tdma location. both phones are under my name but my wife has the gsm version i kept my tdma because the signal was so much better. i would love to get my hands on the new gait phone. does this new phone pick up whatever signal is stronger or does it favor one signal then when it loses it the phone swithes signals.

5. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    It depends on how Cingular programs it. I am sure that in South Jersey, the GAIT phone will prefer the TDMA network but in North Jersey I am not sure, but my instinct tells me it will prefer Voicestream's GSM towers. In Union County you are using AT&T's network for TDMA. They have a very good signal all over North Jersey. I am in Passaic County.

6. Guest

Guest Guest

TDMA has better coverage than GSM.

7. Guest

Guest Guest

GSM is a form of TDMA. Enhancements provide better transmission vs. regular TDMA.

CDMA is KING - better data transmission, higher call capacity, true digital encryption - not time slices. The military and the Feds use it!

"GSM with TDMA (AT&T/Cingular) covers many pot holes in the road: CDMA paves the entire road."

8. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Why did that last post sound like a Sprint commercial? That attitude that they are the best and everyone else is pure garbage is really annoying.

9. Guest

Guest Guest

Not pure garbage, just inferior. Combining two inferior technologies isn't a long-tem solution, just a short-tem fix.

10. njsvrzncdma

My Phone:
    LG vx8500
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VERIZON
    yea that is annoying. but about the new gait phones. i know nokia has the first one out. any word on anyone else? i herd the sony ericsson will have a gait phone. all my phones have been nokias. 5165, 3360, 3395, 8260, ect.. i got impulsive one day and bought the v60's and i love them. they are awsome phones. does anyone know if cingular will provide any cool gait phones like the v60 or something close to in and around it ?

11. Guest

Guest Guest

I love to see these Verizon/Sprint PCS reps posting all this BS. I wonder is they managed to get their GED before they actually discuss technology. GSM is inferior...only a Verizon/Qualcomm CDMA idoctrinated moron can spew such rubbish.

GUYS! There is world outside the verizon coverage area! Believe me...there is....

12. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    There's gotta be a reason why the rest of the world prefers to use an inferior technology which is nothing but a short term fix. Hmmm, wonder why? I am sure they know what they are doing when they decide to spend billions of dollars in this "inferior" technology.

13. ehcruzan

ehcruzan Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 3GS
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T Mobility
    CDMA proponents have always overhyped their technology. My Cingular TDMA service was great until they oversold their network. Sprint's voice quality is excellent, however any properly engineered and equipped network will sound good. Bobolito is right on...the world's major carriers and equipment manufacturers can't all be wrong on GSM.

14. Jack

Jack Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    Could also sould like a verizon commercial

Jack