Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

What wireless service would best suit my needs?

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by chrisrun, May 6, 2002.

1. chrisrun

chrisrun New Member

I would like to purchase 3 phones, one each for my wife and myself (Southern New Jersey, 856 area code), and one for my son who will be going to school in the fall (High Point North Carolina, 336 area code), but would be back in the NJ area during school breaks. Obviously, I am looking for the cheapest service, no roaming charges, number of minutes, quality of sound etc. One person has recommended Nextel, another VoiceStream (which would be using 3rd party towers). Any thoughts you have, any additional questions that need to be asked by me, would help considerably. Thanks

2. ComicalMoodyDan

ComicalMoodyDan Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Well if you truely want a service with no roaming or long distance charges no matter where you then Cingular is a good bet. There Nation Plans are pretty good.

Cingular Wireless

3. ComicalMoodyDan

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    I forgot to meantion, Verizon has some good national plans right now that are called the America's Choice Plans. The network covers most of the US and long distance is included however there are some places where you still face roaming and long distance charges but I think most people stick to that network and if you can then that's a good option to look into also, and they have America's Choice Family Share plans also which may be a good deal if you are considering getting multiple phones. Nextel is too expensive and VoiceStream has limited coverage, so I would stay away from those if I was you.

Verizon Wireless

4. Dukedog

Dukedog Senior Member

If Cingular covers your area, I would recommend Cingular. You will not be billed any roaming charges or long distance. I think it moght be better for your college Student, and probably a Family talk price plan for you and your wife.

5. Jack

Jack Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    How do you plan on using the phones. Will they be to communicate back and forth to each other. Because of getting multiple phones I would recommend

1. Nextel (make sure they have service every where you go. With this service they have a feature called direct connect where it is basically like a walkie-talkie that you would use to talk back and forth. They also have some promos check them out at nextel.com

2. Cingular is great for there true no roaming and LD. 29.99 gets you 250 and 3000

3. Voicestream does have a family talk plan that is pretty good. the only negative is no night minutes only weekends

4. Sprint PCS would be a 4th one. They seem to have pretty good family plans

If you have any questions just ask

Jack

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. ComicalMoodyDan

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    I think Sprint PCS's family plans are rather high myself. Cingular and Verizon have better family plans I think.

7. Jack

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    They now offer one that has a starting price of 39.99 (or around that) and then add for each phone

Jack

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. Guest

Guest Guest

Thanks for the information. Since Nextal is expensive, and with Voice Stream's limited coverage, I am going to look into Sprint.

9. Jack

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    remember to use the coverage and equpiment as your main concern.

Price is a factor but do not judge your choice on price alone

Jack

10. ComicalMoodyDan

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    So true, Jack many people who just choose the cheapest service end up being unhappy you have to find a nice mix of price, phone selection, and coverage when choosing a wireless provider. Of course that isn't always true, SunCom was the cheapest for me at the time I signed up and boy did I make the right choice I love my carrier [​IMG]

11. Jack

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    did you deside on a provider yet.

Jack

12. Apoc

Apoc Senior Member

Either VZW or SPCS !

13. UnseenPower

UnseenPower Junior Member

To be fair, I have used my voicestream phone all over the united states and never been charged a roaming fee. I have the family plan with 1200 shared minutes and unlimited long distance with infinite weekend minutes. The only downfall I can see is that your digital features do not work with national roaming. Just thought I would share............

14. Jack

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    Thanks for the info and welcome

Jack

15. Guest

Guest Guest

I am wondering what service would be best for coastal south carolina? I want no roaming, no long distance, a clear and stable connection, and no shift in my fees midway through my contract. any suggestions?

16. Guest

Guest Guest

I decided to go with Sprint. They assured me that coverage would work for my needs, and they have a good rebate on phones right now.

Thanks all for your help.

17. Jack

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    let us know what you think of sprint

Jack