Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

What to do with a very slightly used Sprint PCS phone?

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by TeKola, Nov 30, 2001.

1. TeKola

TeKola New Member

I have a $200 Sanyo phone for Sprint PCS. I cannot make calls on it due to poor signal strength due to my being in a "fringe" area. Does anybody know if there is any way to use it with a different carrier that works on Long Island? Can anybody recommend a carrier that works on the North Shore (Syosset, Huntington) and South Shore (Babylon)?

2. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
  3. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Why didn't you return it within the 14 day trial period if it worked so poorly? That way you could have had a full refund. You could always try listing it on ebay but you will probably only get about $30-$50 max.

4. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Member

Furthermore you might not be able to use it at all on Verizon because of the MSL that's in the phone. The MSL (Master Subsidy Lockcode) prevents anyone from reprogramming the phone except Sprint. As Kevin pointed out the phone is CDMA but unless you can find out what your MSL is you won't be able to use it on Verizon.

Tom

5. Guest

Guest Guest

I don't think you can use it anyway Sprint PCS uses 1,900 Mhz CDMA while in nearly all areas Verizon uses 800 Mhz CDMA. Sprint's Dual-Mode phones are capable of CDMA 1,900 and Analog 800 but not Digital CDMA. Even if it could somehow work on Verizon most carries lock the phones into there service so for now if you want a new service you have to get a new phone and a new number.

6. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    Hi Anonymous. Every point you make is valid. I took a more cautious stance in my reply because the original poster didn't indicate if they owned a tri-band phone. If so, it would be technically possible. But as you and I and all others have noted, just because something is technically possible doesn't mean that the carriers are willing to do it.

Still, the last time I took a hardline position that the carrier wouldn't do it, I ended up with mud on my face. It is so embarrassing to be wrong, especially when one tries so hard to be accurate and truthful. When I first started here I was brash and dogmatic, now I try hard to balance the facts (and I still miss the mark occassionally).

Kevin

7. TeKola

TeKola New Member

It is a dual-band phone. I don't care about the phone number. I had taken it back to Sprint twice and they went in the back room to do software upgrades (or bust out laughing) I'm not sure which.
    I heard you could donate these phones to charity for abused women (I just would hate for some abused woman to have my phone while her maniac ex was chasing her.)
    I guess I will seek a free phone deal, which is why I came here in the first place. I don't want to sign up for a prolonged period and find out they are as bad as Sprint.
    Anybody on Long Island, recommend the best cell phone service?