Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

What spot would they be in???

Discussion in 'T-Mobile Forum' started by Jordan2005, Oct 16, 2006.

1. scotsboyuk

scotsboyuk Senior Member

My Phone:
    N95
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Orange, T-Mobile
    Does Kyocera make handsets for anywhere other than North America?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. SmArTeStChIlD421

SmArTeStChIlD421 Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    that would be amazing and would take a supercomputer brain to give the absolute truth or several months froma human brain.......haha.......i'm too brain dead most of the time to factor out what-ifs with that many parameters.....haha

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. MOTOhooligan

MOTOhooligan Former Mobile Data Addict

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Japan, China, South America, Australia and New Zealand... according to their website.

4. Telekom

Telekom Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 5310, iPhone 3G[S]
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile US, Fido CA, T-Mobile NL, Orange IL
    Do they make anything other than CDMA handsets?

5. MOTOhooligan

MOTOhooligan Former Mobile Data Addict

My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    No, not that I'm aware of.

6. EdwardP

EdwardP Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Android
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile (Deutsche Telekom)
    I do not believe the U.S. authorities would allow a Cingular acquisition by Vodafone while allowing Vodafone to hold on to their 45% interest in Cellco. Any such acquisition, I'm sure, would be conditional upon Vodafone selling their Cellco interest to Verizon.

But then, now that AT&T is in the process of acquiring BellSouth, which would make Cingular wholly-owned by AT&T, Vodafone would have to either buy out AT&T entirely, or make AT&T an offer for the wireless division, that they can't refuse.

Then again, would their customers want to go through yet another name change...

7. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    probably not but it wont be nearly as bad as the merger between Cingular Wireless and AT&T Wireless......its just gonna be a simple OTA like the merger thats going through for AT&T and BellSouth

EDIT: the only people it will really matter for are its investors.....and stockholders

8. scotsboyuk

scotsboyuk Senior Member

My Phone:
    N95
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Orange, T-Mobile
    Voda were ready to ditch their Verizon stake when they were bidding for AT&T.

Voda tend to change networks's names to include Vodafone somewhere in the title.

9. Telekom

My Phone:
    Nokia 5310, iPhone 3G[S]
    Wireless Provider(s):
    What's an "OTA?"

10. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Over The Air update?

11. Telekom

My Phone:
    Nokia 5310, iPhone 3G[S]
    Wireless Provider(s):
    That's the usual meaning for those three letters, but Over The Air merger???:confused:

12. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    well....the thing is.....when 2 cell companies merge....they have to go and change all of the towers SIDs to match but when its a matter of ownership like the merger between AT&T and BellSouth affecting Cingular its just a simple name change and all they have to do is update the PRLs to change the alpha tags

13. Telekom

My Phone:
    Nokia 5310, iPhone 3G[S]
    Wireless Provider(s):
    I thought PRL's were a CDMA thing.

14. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    well the GSM phones are automatically updated when roaming agreements so GSM phones dont have what you would exactly call a PRL but something very very similar....it just basically prevents you from roaming on certain networks or keeps you from trying to manually roam on other networks when your home network is available

15. Jordan2005

Jordan2005 Member

My Phone:
    Black Moto Razr V3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular, T-Mobile, Verizon, Sprint PCS, Nextel,
    As of right now, AT&T can not change the name of "Cingular Wireless" For at least 4 years. In the merger agreement, it states that the "Cingular" name must stay for at least 4 years, or until AT&T owns over 80% of BellSouth. Whichever may come first. As of right now, AT&T only owns 60% of BellSouth. Which is enough to make them change names, but not Cingular. I personally would like to have AT&T Wireless back on my Phone rather than Cingular. Oh and guess what! Once everything is all said and done with the merger, AT&T is having Cingular bring back some of the old AT&T Wireless favorites. Such as free incoming txt messaging, and unlimited txt msg. This is all due to be released sometime btwn May-July of '07. Also AT&T plans to start adding a ton of towers where Cingular has capacity issues. As well as fill in many gaps and make their coverage more Rual than it is now. they are going to try and bring back the old AT&T when it was great. Its gonna be hard!!! but their gonna try!. And they estimate a full 3G Roll out by January 1, 2008. And 4g by 2010. Cingular will also have an unlimited anytime min plan. I think its gonna be something like $169.99 per month and you can add a line for $9.99 to it. there also gonna bring back being able to add a line to any plan, not just family plans. There also going to offer Unlimited Txting for family's (like T-Mobile) for $19.99 i think(price that is). they will also launch a "North America" Plan as well. It will give you free roaming on the U.S., Canada, Mexico, and a few other places. Any q's on any of this, p.m. me or Email me. They also might roll out something like the MyFaves plan, or M2M to all GSM cust. in the U.S. They are also going to start having Cingular build towers to cover all areas they have a License to serve. E.G: California, Cingular has licenses to cover almost ALL of Cali & Nevada, but they dont have service in many places. They are going to start to provide coverage in these areas now. they are also going to sign a new roaming agreement w/T-mobile stating that all of both of their network may be accessed by each providers customers, not just in areas where one or the other doesn't provide service. basically, whoever has the best signal at the time.....

16. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    well...that is a big step for a company that is kinda lagging.........full UMTS rollout by beginning of January.....sounds kinda promising...too good to be true almost.......well see......what does Cingular plan to use for 4g???

17. Fire14

Fire14 Easy,Cheap & Sleazy

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    If the merger gets approved, AT&T will own 100% of BellSouth & Cingular, so they could change the name at any time after that since everything will be owned by AT&T.

18. Jordan2005

Jordan2005 Member

My Phone:
    Black Moto Razr V3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Not true. if the merger gets approves, then AT&T will own 75% of bellsouth. It is also written in the terms of the merger that the Cingular Name can't be changed for at least 4 years..... All of this info came straight from Cingular's Headquarters. Its all facts.

19. EdwardP

My Phone:
    Android
    Wireless Provider(s):
    I don't believe ANY of it. :rolleyes:

Cingular changed their SIM cards to allow a Cingular phone to use either Cingular Orange or Cingular Blue (ex-AT&T), whichever network had the strongest signal.

As far as Cingular customers roaming on T-Mobile and vice-versa, baloney, especially in the manner that the poster has described. That would require both Cingular and T-Mobile phones to all have the same SIM (see previous paragraph) and that is not going to happen either. :loony:

20. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    wait.....i have roamed on Cingular lots of times.......ive even used GPRS for free on Cingulars networkd sometimes too.......granted the local network IMMIX is a lot better coverage-wise...but T-Mobile does have good voice and data agreements with Cingular in certain areas

and why do you say that T-Mobile would have to "have the same SIM cards as Cingular? wats the difference

21. EdwardP

My Phone:
    Android
    Wireless Provider(s):
    This:

Where Cingular provided new SIM's so their phones could use either Orange or Blue (the stronger network in the area), the above comment from Jordan is on the same principle as that.

The problem with Jordan's statement is "whoever has the best signal at the time". THAT would imply (in my opinion) that both Cingular and T-Mobile phones would have to use the same SIM for that scenario to work, and that is NOT going to happen, not now, not ever.

It would be possible for a roaming agreement that would allow both Cingular and T-Mobile customers to roam on each other's network, but the customer would have to select which network to use in the phone itself. In some areas at present, T-Mobile can already roam on Cingular, where there isn't native T-Mobile service.

22. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    but that concept of choosing the stronger network...would.......in all escence.....make Cingular's and T-Mobile's network one.....they just wouldnt be one company on paper.....

23. EdwardP

My Phone:
    Android
    Wireless Provider(s):
    You are correct. But something like that is not going to happen.

24. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    exactly so why did you even bother suggesting that point because Cingular and T-Mobile do have roaming agreements....the arent sworn nemesees......haha

25. Fire14

Fire14 Easy,Cheap & Sleazy

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon

I am lost here then, if AT&T Buys BellSouth for the 85+ Billion dollars they don't own BellSouth 100% ?

Also which merger has the name change terms ? The Cingular/AWE merger, the SBC/AT&T Merger or the pending AT&T/BellSouth merger?

I know AT&T has publicly stated sometime after 1 year of the AT&T/BellSouth merger being completed, they are going to change the name of Cingular to AT&T Wireless.

Not that I don't believe you, but something in writing to show this can help me & others understand this difference in what was announced in the media when the merger was announced vs what your hearing or reading from Cingular.

26. Jordan2005

Jordan2005 Member

My Phone:
    Black Moto Razr V3
    Wireless Provider(s):

I'm sorry for any of the misunderstandings that i might have caused. I sometimes don't word things the very best. How the new roaming agreement will work is; E.G.: if you are a Cingular cust. and you are in Cingular native coverage area, but you walk into a building and you lose reception because your signal was weak to begin with. Your SIM will then FIRST try and find a native Cingular tower to register to. If it is too weak it will then look for T-Mobile or AllTel, etc. Its much like the one they have now. the only diff is that both providers can use each others network even in areas where they have native coverage. You can register on ANY Cingular or T-Mobile tower. Not just ones where one of the provider do not have any native coverage. They are not going to "block" any towers from Cingular cust. or T-Mobile cust. Yes your SIM is naturally going to try and find its main providers towers. And you can do a manual network selection anytime to register in either network. i know that with both my T-Mobile & Cinguar, i currently can't do that. And in most markets you can't either

i don't know why AT&T will not own 100% of BellSouth, but they are not is all i know. They will in about 5 years, but not after this AT&T/BellSouth. They will continue to buy more & more each year.

in the AT&T/BellSouth merger it states that the Cingular name has to stay for at least 4 years. IDK why.

i got all of this info straight from Cingular when i went to the employee training and interviews. i had books on all of it, but i don't anymore. They belonged to Cingular. (just last month) None of this is public info. These are the plans for the next 2 years. This is all classified info for employees only.....

27. Telekom

My Phone:
    Nokia 5310, iPhone 3G[S]
    Wireless Provider(s):
    The carriers involved will not do it if only because having better coverage on one network or the other is that company's trump for "better service" and customers will go to them rather than to a competing network. Having multiple roaming partners is an advantage that foreign roamers commonly have if the home carrier has multiple roaming agreements you can roam on any network that has a roaming agreement. That's why when I go to the Netherlands I just keep my phone on automatic network selecction and the phone finds the strongest network signal and latches on to that and will even find another network if the original network gets too weak and is unusable.

28. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    well im not too thriled with some of the choices that Cingular has made with their plans or network upgrades and things like that but I love T-Mobile and if this merger will give seemingly unlimited roaming between the 2 networks then that will make everyone happy increasing cuztomers for T-Mobile and Cingular........itll be like the roaming agreement between Alltel and Verizon...they have almost unlimited services between eachothers networkss when their custs. are roaming on eachother

so just to clarify my understandin of this......when Cingular bought AT&T they started manufacturing new SIMS that could pick the strongest tower because many times the phones would pick up 2 towers but one would be better than the other....so when the AT&T/BellSouth merger gets approved...which i hope it will....then the T-Mobile phones and the Cingular phones will have limitless roaming on eachother???