Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

What should I get, Verizon or Sprint?

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by Guest, Jul 19, 2002.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Okay this will be my first cell phone and I want it to be a good one and that would include good service. Since I live in the Boston area, I have narrowed it down to Verizon and Sprint PCS, can someone point me to the right provider. I saw a thread on the front page that states reason to why not to get Sprint PCS, but since Sprint is running a 1900mhz network and Verizon an 800mhz, shouldn't Sprint have better reception/less static? So what I need to know is which provider of the two mentioned has better coverage in my area, also give me other reasons to why or why not to get it.

2. Gman

Gman Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Epic 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    I'd suggest using the grace period (around two weeks) for either provider to decide what works best for you in the places you will use it. No matter what comments people make about any provider in a given market, what works for you is the important thing.

G.

3. Jack

Jack Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    well said gman

Jack

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Mooby

Mooby Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sanyo 8200
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint PCS, Prior-Verizon FreeUp
    I've had no problems with Verizon in Boston as they seem to have pretty good coverage. Not sure about Sprint but I've heard they have good coverage with the occasional oddball dead spot. I'd do what GMan advises and check out both and try one for two weeks. If you're happy with it stick with it. If not, try the other. My guess is that either Verizon or Sprint would be fine.

5. MTS2000

MTS2000 Junior Member

1900 doesn't mean any better recpetion than 800, in fact, 800MHz is superior for in-building coverage in many areas, higher frequency doesn't always mean better signals, as a matter of RF principles, it can often mean less signal. Sprint has trouble in some areas with residential and inbuilding coverage- as stated before, TRY BEFORE YOU BUY (or SIGN UP FOR A LONG TIME). There is no difference between sound quality- both Sprint and Verizon use a CDMA platform, coverage is the big question. Take your new phone to any places where it is critical and make test calls and note the signal stregnth. Do not belive any salesperson's word of coverage guaranteed at a particular address- just because their computer shows it to be in the service area does not mean it will be useable. Try for yourself- USE THE TRIAL PERIOD!

6. IdiOTeQnoLogY

IdiOTeQnoLogY Bronze Senior Member

AMEN....... all of us regulars cannot begin to emphasize the importance of the TRIAL PERIOD. with the exception of voicestream (72 hrs) the other major national carriers give you at least 14 days or more of TRIAL PERIOD. USE IT> USE IT > USE IT!!!!!!!!!! take the phone with you where you work, travel, and play the most and find out how it serves you.

7. DCman

DCman New Member

I also agree that personal expirence with both providers is the best way to choose the right one. I could only add a suggestion to compare during the trial period in the same time and with similar phones, for example Kyocera 2235 from Verizon and Kyocera 2255 from Sprint. It could give much more accurate result.

Would be very interesting to read here your impression after couple of weeks. Good luck.

8. Drew

Drew New Member

Why not get Cingular... [​IMG]

9. Guest

Guest Guest

i would say stick with verizon or sprint instead of cingular. anyways verizon and sprint share networks so you can't go wrong. as far as phones go, sprint has the "cooler" phones. although verizon has some good phones too now days. The only thing that i liked with sprint is that you can buy phones from stores such as best buy or circuit city but with verizon you gotta buy the phones through them which are kinda expensive if you upgrade your phone often. I had sprint and liked their service, but now i got verizon b/c of the free night and weekend deal with mobile web access for only $5. If you make use of such features than compare both company and see which one serves your needs better. You cant go wrong with either company. Good luck