Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

What is your Data Usage?

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by viewfly, Jun 4, 2010.

?

What is you maximum data usage (non-Wifi)

1. Less than 5Gb

16.7%
  2. Less than 3 Gb

10.0%
  3. Less than 2 Gb

23.3%
  4. Less than 200 Mb

50.0%
  1. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    In light of ATT new data plans, and most likely to be followed by Verizon, Sprint and Tmobile, what is your highest monthly data usage?

For all carriers, not just ATT. You can make a guess, poll above, and post a chart below

I never go higher than 1 GB over the last 8 months. ATT says 98% of its customers are below 2Gb per month. How do we WA'ers fit in there?

[​IMG]

#1 viewfly, Jun 4, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2010
  2. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Of course I mean non-WiFi data usage... only carrier wireless data usage, and it is a monthly average.

Based on my family usage, I can save $300 per year with the new data plans from ATT, and have a comfortable margin without concerns for going over. Based on my past usage.

Battery life per day plays a large factor in how much data I can use ....

3. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    A point of view from David Pogue of the NY Times.

He and his wife use less than 150 Mb per month! What a surprise. They must be on WiFi most of the time.

David Pogue: ATT Saves me money

4. spleck

spleck Tool

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone 5 VZW
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    My line:
    [​IMG]
    My wife's line:
    [​IMG]

I would use a lot more if my 3G wasn't so slow. It actually bogs down and almost freezes occasionally, most likely due to low memory. My wife's 3GS is much faster. My spike in usage corresponds to Pandora and road trips.

5. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    There appears to be a discrepancy between what the chart shows as May data usage and my actual data usage shown on OLAM, by almost 33%, 67 MB vs 99.4 MB. My billing cycle ends on the 2nd, so 2 days cannot make that difference.

I am not sure how much faith to put on the accuracy of AT&T's data charts.

Attached Files:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #5 charlyee, Jun 4, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2010
  6. our3rotts

our3rotts An Iowa Gurl...

My Phone:
    Google Pixel
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZN - 4G
    I'm sure when I was on ATT, I didn't get close to 1G - since my 8310 was pretty slow.

On my 3 months of Verizon with my Eris,

April 12 = 771,681 KB
    May 12 = 834,248 KB
    Thru June 4 = 621,451.22 KB

My husband's Eris same times

April = 176,507 KB
    May = 205,917 KB
    June = 310,516.88 KB

I have a feeling our usage will only climb - especially before the end of this cycle, since we are going out of town for 8 days starting next week.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Charlyee, our3rotts, spleck....please vote in the poll :)

8. ComicalMoodyDan

ComicalMoodyDan Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    According to my latest T-Mobile billing statement I only used about 35 MB of data on their wireless network last month.

9. RadioRaiders

RadioRaiders RF Black-Belt

Wireless Provider(s):
    GSM / WCDMA /LTE
    It varies. Usually maybe 100-200MB. I don't think I ever went over 1GB in a month. But I have an unlimited data plan (2GB then throttled down) for $15/month. I could get a 250MB plan for $5/month, but I pay that extra $10 "just in case", because with the $5 plan you have to pay alot for extra MB's...

10. dmapr

dmapr Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    My typical data usage without tethering is under 10MB a month.

11. Gamer03

Gamer03 Technology Aficionado

My Phone:
    Motorola X Pure
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    I am usually under 200 MB per month. If I do some SlingPlayer (Slingbox streaming) and audio streaming, then I will fall under the Less than 2 GB category.

12. our3rotts

our3rotts An Iowa Gurl...

My Phone:
    Google Pixel
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZN - 4G
    oops - sorry.

Done.

Nik

13. spleck

spleck Tool

My Phone:
    iPhone 5 VZW
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    I think the chart shows the usage for the billing period that ended in the month shown (or something close), since viewfly's chart has 536 MB in June.

14. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Thanks, I believe you are right. Although I haven't checked my data usage for the period ending May 2, it does explain the low usage for the period ending April 2.

PS: This is a very interesting thread, atleast for me. 4 out of the 5 that are under 200 kbyte use a BB, all the ones that are between 2k and 2G use either an Android or an iPhone.

For all practically purposes I could easily save $15/month by switching if I plan to stay with my BB, however switching to an Android would not work and although I would still save $5/month, I would lose my unlimited. Decisions, decisions, decisions. :D

Anyone find the tiered plans available for the BB Connect specifically mentioned? I have not.

BlackBerry9700/5.0.0.680 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102

#14 charlyee, Jun 5, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2010
  15. josephd

josephd Tomorrow is another day.

My Phone:
    White iPhone 5C 16GB
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Until you ditch your BB, I would drop down to the 200 megabyte plan to save money.

16. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    I agree this is interesting and I hope more regular WA members will post their usage.

I have another iPhone in the family, and that usage is less than 100 Mb per month (never uses wifi too); The BB 9700 is generally less than 100Mb too, except for 2 months that were 450Mb each. There may have been some tethering going on during those months however. Both were heavy users I thought too.

This all says to me that much of the whining about ATT's high costs for iPhone unlimited data ($30) is somewhat justified, in that most use less than 2Gb anyways. And it also says that the equivalent $30 personal BB data plans were even more overpriced...if indeed most BB users consume less than 200 Mb of data per month.

It also says that our group had a long way to go to every reach a 5Gb limit, let alone unlimited.

What worries me is with the future coming with LTE, the data usage may soar,and limiting myself to 2Gb may be a mistake. I'm not sure what to do yet. Probably when I get the new 4Gen iPhone this or next month, I will keep the current unlimited plan and see how it goes. I don't plan to do a lot of video chatting, but I'm making more and more use of Pandora or internet radio while in my car.

With more and more free wifi hot spots cropping up, I may just train myself to make more use of them.

I agree with your concerns Charlyee, that if you move the the richer experience of an Android OS (full browser, etc), you will consume more data than the BB. The data compression from RIM is good, but it does limit the phone experience, IMO, having seen both. It is what it is...

17. spleck

spleck Tool

My Phone:
    iPhone 5 VZW
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    I'm sticking with unlimited on my line for the foreseeable future. I'm using Pandora more, I'll have a new iPhone with whatever new features it brings, and I'll probably jailbreak my 3G and possibly use it to share my data connection with my laptop (NOT "tethering"--that costs $20!). My wife's line will probably get dropped to the 200 MB plan to save money.

18. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    I just switched mine to the 200 MB. My highest usage with the BB has been 101 MB and that gives me a lot of cushion for the $15/month savings.

My BB does everything and more and there is nothing out now or in the foreseable future that will give me any more or something that I must have, so I will be staying with Blackberrys for a while.

19. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    So, am I an abuser? ;)

[​IMG]

When I first got my iPhone, I was always below 1GB, but now I stream a lot and I usually go over 1GB. Even if I never went over 2GB I don't think it's worth it the $5 savings of the 2GB plan.

20. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, AT&T based Tracfone, T-Mobile
    Used 23MB last month on my enV Touch on Verizon; the previous bill, I used 25MB...

21. M in LA

M in LA Mobile 28 Years Plus

My Phone:
    iPhone 13 Pro Max, XS Max
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    Zilch at the moment. Have a data block on my line. Eventually I will tread into the data waters with the purchase of a smartphone...

22. M in LA

M in LA Mobile 28 Years Plus

My Phone:
    iPhone 13 Pro Max, XS Max
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    From different things I've read, LTE will actually be more data bandwidth efficient than the current UMTS/EV-DO setup the big 4 use.

Recently, a Verizon executive talked about data on LTE (I wish I could remember where I saw it). Verizon is actually hoping calls on LTE will utilize VoIP primarily. This is apparently going to save them money and be more data efficient.

We'll see, though. I hope this drastically reduces the cost of data and the network capacity troubles specifically experienced by AT&T at the moment (and could affect the others as smartphones use increases, prior to the launch of LTE).

23. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Only 13 responses so far (there are more people than this on WA?)

But judging from those who voted, our little geek group seems to fit under a 2GB limit, whether from ATT or a future change in the other carriers. ATT says 98% of it's users live well under 2GB. Well, except for Bobolito....

I think the change will come. From a recent WSJ article:

"... AT&T Monday changed its data pricing, instituting usage limits for new customers but lowering the minimum smartphone service plan to $55 a month, compared with Verizon's $70 a month."

I suspect that Verizon will change data plan rates in the not too distant future.

Please keep voting. And use more Wifi!!!

24. hme83

hme83 Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia E7, E70-2 & 6820
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t
    I average 10 - 15 MB per month with no WiFi use.

It's mostly e-mail however; little to no browsing with the phone - too slow and I don't like to scroll. lol.

I'm very happy to see at&t finally has quit punishing their smartphone customers who don't have exhorbitant data needs. :)

25. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    BTW, I only looked at it yesterday, but ATT interactive Data Usage Estimator is pretty good. Anyone can use it. Maybe not accurate for a BB, but it will give you an upper limit certainly.

Data Calculator

26. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Well changed my plan (s) to the $25, 2Gb rate. I doubt that I will go over, and if I do, the penalty is only a small fraction of my savings.

I wanted to option to tether, as needed. Although I doubt that I will ever really use that.

27. AshRae84

AshRae84 ...Formerly YourDream84

My Phone:
    iPhone5s
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular (The New AT&T)
    Combined we use close to 1,500,000 kbs of data usage. I was around 500,000 and Chris covered the rest of it. I really don't have alot of WiFi access, so I rely solely on data...

~*Ash*~

28. CRC

CRC Senior Member

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 6
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    For my May-28th bill, T-Mobile said I used: 128.4840 mg's.

29. CRC

CRC Senior Member

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 6
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Forgot to vote! :eek::headscrat Let's try again! :D:biggrin:

30. Buickman

Buickman Gearhead/Gadget freak

My Phone:
    BB 9550, Moto Droid
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon on both phones
    Wow! I'm surprised a group like this uses so little data. I'm an a Blackberry and I use anywhere from 2 to 3.5 gigs per month, and that's with using WiFi when I'm at home. On the other hand, A group like this might spend most if it's time on WiFi, which could explain the low data usage. That's why I thought a recent article from PC Mag saying a poll they took in their office of "power users" all used less than 500 megs a month was kind of BS. These people are on WiFi all the time except for their commutes to and from work.