Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

What is the deal with Firmware upgrades?

Discussion in 'NOKIA' started by viewfly, Sep 22, 2003.

1. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    I've searched these forums for opinions on the benefits of firmware upgrades to the 6340i. I admit they seem scattered. From what I can read, V8.05.3 is the most recent (being June 27, 2003). But Cingular seems reluctant to 'flash' any phone and most give a blank stare when you mention it.

So what are the benefits for someone who is not really having 'problems' at the moment?

This is what I gathered from the forums:

1 Power button responds quicker
    2 Hangs on longer on GSM before switching
    3 Removes RF buzz on some phones
    4 prevents phone lock up
    5 solves clock screen saver synch problems
    6. anything else??

For me, 1 and 2 would be nice; 3,4,5 are very rare. On the HowardForums, I read warning of phones getting messed up from an upgrade. I have V 8.03.1

I'd be happy to hear from someone or Cingular reps with answers to help me decide whether to push this or not.

Thanks,

2. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    The official word from Nokia:

My question:

'I have a 6340i. The software version is V8.03.1

Can you tell me what I would gain by upgrading to V8.05.3? Some people tell me I really should; others say it is not necessary.

Will an upgrade help me hang onto an GSM longer?

The response from Nokia:

Nokia only performs a software upgrade when a Nokia technician determines that an existing manufacturer phone problem will be fixed as a result of the software upgrade.

Your service provider may offer software upgrades as they become available. Please contact your service provider to determine if a software upgrade is available for your phone.

You can reach Cingular Wireless at 1-866-246-4852

It seems neither Nokia or Cingular deem that an upgrade is urgently needed to demonstrate the best these phones can offer. Two techs offered to just give me a new phone. Not sure whether to take up the offer.

"if it works, don't fix it"

Any other experiences?