Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

What happens if the merger of T-Mobile and Metro PCS goes ahead?

Discussion in 'T-Mobile Forum' started by Telekom, Oct 3, 2012.

1. Telekom

Telekom Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 5310, iPhone 3G[S]
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile US, Fido CA, T-Mobile NL, Orange IL
    It seems like a merger between T-Mobile and Metro PCS could possibly be a reality.

My biggest fear is that the combination of T-Mobile with Metro PCS will be another horrible combination as was the case when Sprint PCS took on Nextel with a totally incompatible iDEN technology against Sprint PCS's CDMA technology. Mind you combinations of carriers with completely different technologies has a history. Even here in Seattle there's a history. When Verizon came on the scene after they came into this area they couldn't take over GTE Mobility since they took over Airtouch (which was originally USWest Cellular.) At the time they took over all GTE Mobility customers had CDMA equipment. Present customers were given "equivalent" GSM handsets for the new Cingular (which is what the GTE Mobility customers became) and for a short time they continued to use their own CDMA equipment, but eventually were offered GSM handsets.

So, in the short term Metro PCS customers will continue on as before, but eventually when they upgrade they will be switched to T-Mobile GSM (and hopefully at a future time) LTE handsets.

I just hope that if the merger does come to fruition that the incompatibilities of technology won't be a great hindrance.

2. Yugopro

Yugopro Senior Member

My Phone:
    iphone 3gs
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Tmobile
    I keep seeing references to Sprint.

Way different situation.

Nextel iden used a completely different frequency, somewhere around 800, that Sprint did not use.

The iden technology was a dead end. Sprint had no use for it.

I believe the government had Sprint move the frequency a bit as it interfered with emergency services.

That was not a smooth merger.

3. spleck

spleck Tool

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone 5 VZW
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Yeah, Sprint had two big hurdles.

They tried to replace iDEN PTT with QChat. Qualcomm overpromised and underdelivered on that system and Sprint took the hit for it.

Nextel used two-way radio bands and so began a huge and expensive effort to move users off the interleaved bands into separate bands. That took (is taking) MUCH longer than ever anticipated (and Sprint/Nextel was paying to move everyone). They're reward is an extra 5+5 MHz channel in PCS. The rebanded 800 MHz is available to them, but I don't think anyone will be making chipsets for them. The extra PCS channel is much easier to implement in comparison.

The T-Mobile/MetroPCS merger will be simple, even in comparison to T-Mobile's spectrum refarming. Plus, MetroPCS is generally considered to have more spectrum than they use.

1 person likes this.
  4. kjo

kjo Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Iphone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    I'm hoping it just means more towers...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. EdwardP

EdwardP Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Android
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile (Deutsche Telekom)
    Given the quality and speeds of Metro's CDMA 1X network here (they never had 3G in Boston), T-Mobile will be an improvement.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, AT&T based Tracfone, T-Mobile
    In my area, Metro only had some spectum and no network, so it is of little consequence to me here.

I have seen Metro's EVDO network in Atlanta (200-300K download?!?!?!... Verizon EVDO smokes it)... I hope the merger means better data service for all.

7. ESDPTx

ESDPTx New Member

Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Hi I’m currently in the process of opening a T-Mobile Authorized Dealer store. I too was concerned about what was going to happen if the merger goes through. I was told that Metro PCS will stay the same and T-Mobile will stay the same. Both companies will share the towers, this will really befit T-Mobile customers in highly populated areas of the country. T-Mobile has also rolled out Go Smart Mobile this past week, it is only available right now at Authorized Dealers. Go Smart Mobile is really cheap with unlimited plans for calling and texting starting at $30 a month, you can also get international calling and texting for $10 more dollars a month. Go Smart Mobile is pre paid, and the coverage is limited mainly to highways and cites.

#7 ESDPTx, Feb 16, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2013
  8. EdwardP

My Phone:
    Android
    Wireless Provider(s):
    I don't think we (T-Mobile customers) have anything to worry about. The big changes will come for the metroPCS customers.

1 person likes this.
  9. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, AT&T based Tracfone, T-Mobile
    Yep. Go Smart is prepaid and it is restricted to T - Mobile network. No off network roaming is allowed on it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2.

10. Telekom

Telekom Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 5310, iPhone 3G[S]
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile US, Fido CA, T-Mobile NL, Orange IL
    Which is typically the way most MVNO's work in relation to roaming or not.

11. EdwardP

My Phone:
    Android
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile prepaid customers have data preference on the network over the MVNO's. :biggrin:

T-Mobile postpaid customers have data preference over everyone else.