Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

What happened to the LG VX8370 Clout?

Discussion in 'Verizon Wireless Forum' started by bluedogfishing, Mar 9, 2011.

1. bluedogfishing

bluedogfishing New Member

My Phone:
    LG VX8300
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I started seeing info on a phone from LG called the Clout and the number was VX8370.
    I have been using the LG VX8300 for four years now and I have had no problems with it at all.
    Well it is time to get a new phone and I don't need any of the smart phones so I am looking for a sturdy and dependable clam shell type phone and the LG VX8370 seemed to be the one but now it seems it is nowhere to be found. This phone is just what I am looking for.

Does anyone have any info on this phone and know if it is still available and where I can get one?

Thanks,
    Ron

2. M in LA

M in LA Mobile 27 Years Plus
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 12 Pro Max, XS Max
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    The LG Clout was discontinued in 4th quarter 2010. The only way you can get it is likely through eBay. I found 2 selling for about $150.

Keep in mind that this phone likely carries a data plan ($10 minimum). The phone before it required one (VX8360). You'd have to check with Verizon to be sure.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, AT&T based Tracfone, T-Mobile
    I know one person who had the 8370, and no, it didn't require a data plan. For whatever reason, Verizon never really marketed the phone. I never even saw the phone on any Verizon website... It would have been one of the LG phones that didn't have a data plan after the dumb decision to mandate data on the 8360 and enV3 (although mandatory data was removed from the 8360)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon eventually killed the data plan requirement on the 8360, probably in an effort to kill off the existing stock.

No way in :censored: I'd pay $150 for a feature phone!!!! I wonder about eBay.

5. M in LA

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    eBay was where I found the two for $150 each... :p

6. bluedogfishing

My Phone:
    LG VX8300
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Thanks for your replies. My problem now is what phone to get. I have really liked the LG VX8300 and would like something similar to it but the best that I have been able to come up with would be the LG Accolade but it looks like it might have some drawbacks in the quality of the phone. I still have the New Every Two worth $100 coming to me so this would help in the cost.

What do you think would be a good reliable phone for me? I just want something basic like a clam shell, speakerphone, Bluetooth, with good reception and battery life. A camera is a plus....

Thanks,
    Ron

7. M in LA

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    Well...

The Accolade is a good phone. A relative of mine has it and it works fine for him. The thing is the phone is lower on LG's numbering scale than the one you own (the Accolade is VX5600). Which means it won't have some advanced features you've grown accustomed to on the VX8300.

It does have Bluetooth and a camera. Call quality is good and signal is fine, not Motorola great, but good enough. It is a clam shell and does have a decent speakerphone. For a mid-line LG phone, I'd trust it over ANY Samsung (though I have issues with Samsung phones) and it is pretty good for what you get. It's definitely not glamorous.

If you check Verizon's feature phone line-up, check out the user reviews they have for each phone. It looks like the highest rated one is the (gulp) Samsung Convoy. Your NE2 $100 credit would cover the cost of practically any phone you choose in that group.

Keep in mind this is the last NE2 credit you'll get. VZ's done away with it, so once you use it, it's gone forever.

8. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    I hesitate to recommend any Samsung feature phone; I am partial to LG and Motorola. Too bad Motorola abandoned the low end phone market.

I have a LG 5600... it's not bad. I have it as a prepaid phone and it does it job well. The one negative is that the phone does not support the Bluetooth transfer of pictures or ringtones.

It has a 1.3 megapixel camera...not too shabby but it does not support video messaging; the camera doesn't have video capabilities.

I'd hate to waste a $100 credit on a phone that is normally free to $60 on a 2 year agreement.

I have heard positive reviews on the Samsung Convoy, though. I never used it.

Although you probably wasn't considering a LG Cosmos, I'd stay away from that thing. That phone has some bad call quality and the build quality is a mess!!!

9. bluedogfishing

My Phone:
    LG VX8300
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    For what it has the Samsung Convoy does seem to have what I want but so far the reviews are up and down. I am in construction so the ruggedness would be a plus. I had a Samsung ACH310 a long time ago and that phone worked pretty good except the vibrate was very week, and that is what seems to be a problem on the Convoy also. I use my phone on vibrate a lot and if it is still like it was on my old 310 then it is not for me. that is one of the things I really liked about the LG, The vibrate was so strong it moved off of the table all the time. Also some reports on the Convoy phone talk about a lot of dropped calls and going in and out of service a lot. Is anyone using this phone that could give me the in's and out's of it? How it is working for you?

Thanks,
    Ron

10. josephd

josephd Tomorrow is another day.

My Phone:
    White iPhone 5C 16GB
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
  11. M in LA

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    I have a feeling the LG Clout experienced what I would call "the Nokia 6256i" syndrome, as that phone never appeared on Verizon's site for sale. It was as if they never sold it at all, yet it was available and very much a phone that was carried and could be activated.

I got my 6256i via a third-party site and paid nearly retail for it, and I'm glad I did. It is one of the best phones I've ever owned and has worked as my back-up phone for over 5 years now.

If someone still wants the Clout , it can be purchased outside of Verizon, without the subsidy. They are out there.

It doesn't surprise me Phonescoop hasn't updated this phone on their site. Since this phone slipped through the cracks, no one knows where it is...:confused:

12. Clamshell

Clamshell New Member

Found these at Walmart today. They aren't on display. You have to ask for them as they keep them locked up.
    Independent Verizon dealers also have them if you ask.
    This is a great phone. Excellent battery life, dual speakers very loud, clear not distorted, you can answer calls without opening the phone, make calls without opening the phone. Not sure why Verizon never carried this phone. It's the best flip I've ever owned. No data plan required either.
    I'll probably buy a spare. It's that good of a phone. Seen them for $149. on ebay.
    No I don't work for LG either. Ha ha.:)

13. bluedogfishing

My Phone:
    LG VX8300
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Are you saying that you got a couple of the VX8370 Clouts recently? Where are you located? In your location it says 949. If I could get this phone from, the little that I have read about it I think it would be the perfect phone for me. How long have you had this phone? I did see the two post on eBay but did not know if I wanted to put out the $149 for it without seeing it in person.
    Thanks for the info.

Ron

14. bluedogfishing

My Phone:
    LG VX8300
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    You know another phone that is starting to look interesting is the Casio G’zOne Ravine. As of now I don't need the push to talk but I guess you don't have to use it. Does Verizon charge extra for the push to talk and if so do you have to have the push to talk contract to use this phone.

Has anyone used this phone? How well does it work?

Ron

15. Clamshell

Clamshell New Member

Yes. I have owned the Clout for about 8 months now. Great phone.
    I'll probably buy a spare as I like it that much. I'm located in Orange County CA. aka the OC or area code 949. Trust me it's worth the $149. Free or almost free if getting a contract or renewal. You won't be disappointed with it. Too bad these kind of phones are fast disappearing due to $ reasons. This isn't a low end flip but more like a high end or mid range. It's a upgrade to the VX8360. Get one before they disappear.

16. bluedogfishing

My Phone:
    LG VX8300
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Eight months ago I think you could have found them in most Walmart's or Costco's but now they seem to be extincted. Other then eBay I can't find them anywhere. Do you know of a place online that might have them.
    My contract has been up for three years and I have a $100 new every two coming to me so I would like to use that and pick up two of them. This definitely seems like the phone for me and if they are still around anywhere I think I am going to jump on it but I just don't really want to go full price on the eBay phones.

17. M in LA

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    It looks like the $150 ebay price is the best I've been able to find. Other prices cheaper than that are for a used phone.

You won't be able to use your NE2 credit anyway since it is only applied to phones bought through Verizon directly (phone, web sales, in store), and you can't get the Clout through them anymore. Of course if you decide to get one of the phones they currently carry, you'll get a nice $100 off or get a phone for free.

18. bluedogfishing

My Phone:
    LG VX8300
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Mike,
    I did not know if maybe a Verizon authorized dealer still might have any somewhere in the US. When I got my 8300's a while ago I purchased them over the phone and on the net though an authorized dealer. Was just wondering if maybe there might still be some left on someones shelf or do you think Verizon would take them all back.

Also does anyone know about the Casio G’zOne Ravine that I listed above?

19. Clamshell

Clamshell New Member

Walmart had these 2 days ago. Gowireless has them also.
    I know of several Verizon non corporate that have them. I have their sites booked marked on my home computer. I spoke to them all in the last couple of days. I'm out of town till Monday though. Using a friends computer.

20. M in LA

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    Since there was no defect with the phone to pull it from shelves, I don't believe Verizon would take them back. It would serve them no purpose. It's likely they'd let stock deplete, and only return to LG what didn't sell after a period of time.

You might want to contact LG USA and see if they'll sell you one or if they know of another way you could get one.

Also, here's a review of the G'zOne Ravine: Casio G?zOne Ravine Review - Phone Arena

21. Clamshell

Clamshell New Member

PS:
    Verizon corporate never carried this phone. Only Verizon indirects. Authorized non corporate. They still have them.
    So many that I was confident to wait till next week before buying another if I don't go with a smartphone.

22. bluedogfishing

My Phone:
    LG VX8300
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I have not seen them in Walmart around here. There are a couple of Gowireless near by that I will try.
    Thanks,

23. bluedogfishing

My Phone:
    LG VX8300
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Thanks Mike,
    I did see that review. That is how I found out that I might be interested in that model also.
    Does anyone know of anybody that has used the G'zOne Ravin? I would like to here of someone with personal experience with it.
    Do you know if Verizon charges extra to usae the Push to Talk on these phones?

I don't think I have ever known anybody that has used a Casio phone before. Have they been making phones for a while.

24. bluedogfishing

My Phone:
    LG VX8300
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Well this is the latest,
    I checked all around and even GoWireless.
    GoWireless did have some info on them but when the guy started checking in there system he mentioned something about sixty left nationwide but that he would not be able to get one. Nowhere else is this phone even known in this area.
    So two things have come up, I found out that if I get any phone and sign a new contract my bill will go up $10 a month because they no longer have a 500 minute plan like I currently have. I currently don't have a need for anymore minutes so I was thinking of buying the LG Clout (vx8370) outright and just changing out my old VX8300 for it. That way my bill stays the same and with just the first years savings of $120 by my plan not going up I can put that toward the phone purchase.

OR.......

Do you think I should look into the Casio G'zOne Ravine and get the phone for $49 with new contract and a monthly increase of $10 and 200 minutes more that I don't need?

@Clamshell..., How well is the vibrate on the Clout. Since I can not check one out.
    EDIT.................. I just went through the Verizon website and checked out what it would be like if I got the Casio Ravine using my new every two and the final price for the phone is $49. As I went through the pages for changing my phone and got to the end where the next click would have made it happen it showed that my contract was still going to be for 500 minutes and my bill would NOT go up. Man this is so messed up. Every Verizon guy that I talked to says that I would have to go up to 700 minutes plan and pay $10 more if I upgraded with a new contract.

This is driving me nuts..........

#24 bluedogfishing, Mar 13, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2011
  25. bluedogfishing

My Phone:
    LG VX8300
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Well I guess it just keeps changing every time I do something else.
    According to the three different Verizon stores that I called they told me that whatever phone I chose would still change my contract to the 700 minutes and would go up $10. Well then I went to the Verizon web page and started updating my phone just to see what it said and I put in the Casio Ravine as my choice and at the end of the setup it showed that my contract would still be the same.
    So I call the Verizon number from the web site and talk to a guy and he went though everything with me and here is what I now know.
    If I get the LG Clout vx8370 all I have to do is change out one phone for the other and if the service wants to add the $9.99 data plan I just tell them to block it and I wont be charged so my bill stays the same with 500 minutes.
    If I want a new phone like the Casio Revine I just drop one phone and update it through the web site and my bill will stay the same with new contract at 500 minutes. So now this would be the lower of the two phones with the cost being that I would only have to pay $49.99 for the Casio after the New Every Two deal.

Now I just have to make up my mind and quick, I don't know how much longer my vx8300 is going to hold out.

Sorry about all the posting I just like to get very thorough when I get something new that I want to perform well.