Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

What does the future hold for Sprint? ...

Discussion in 'Sprint Forum' started by speedmaster, Nov 1, 2007.

1. Gamer03

Gamer03 Technology Aficionado
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Motorola X Pure
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Well in my area, both Verizon and Sprint are only 1900 Mhz and coverage is not a problem for either carrier (although Sprint has a slight coverage edge in the areas I travel to/from on a daily basis).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Fire14

Fire14 Easy,Cheap & Sleazy

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon

Larry, I agree that they are slowly building out their network and with the 1900 Mhz it does take more towers to have as good or better network as the 850Mhz but it's because of these gaps that Sprint is working on filling in that the network is still not up to the par of the other carriers.

I think it's more a matter of them needing to focus on building out their network better to have the same coverage as Verizon & AT&T is some areas. And yes they won't be getting any 800 Mhz but it does help compare the difference where they have gaps.

Heck if Sprint didn't have roaming agreements with other CDMA carriers, would you be able to make this same blanket statement across the country? seriously that's the biggest thing saving them in other then CA areas.

3. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Wirelessly posted (LG-LX350 AU-MIC-LX350/2.0 MMP/2.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

It's funny how some on here like to think Sprint is only good in CA and suck everywhere else. Sprint has a great network in many markets outside of CA as well. The same opinions from the same 3 or 4 people aren't really relavant to Sprint's network as a whole.

4. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    LOL they cant just take the 800mhz spectrum that nextel uses. Cause as far as I know the government will take it away. So they are stuch with 1900.

5. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Wirelessly posted (LG-LX350 AU-MIC-LX350/2.0 MMP/2.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

The 1900 mhz will do just fine. It's other aspects they need to work on.

6. Fire14

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Your right Larry I am sure they have decent networks in other markets then CA, but it's not always the opinion of the same 3 or 4 people.

Seriously take away their unlimited roaming, would you make this same statement?

7. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Why would we take away their unlimited roaming?? Would you take Verizon's, AT&T's or T-Mobile's away? What difference does it make? All carriers rely on roaming agreements where they don't have native coverage. But most carriers cover all of the important areas where they can make the most money, Sprint included.

To be honest most Sprint customers don't even roam. It's a fact. Most customers stay in their home coverage areas and use 90% + of their minutes on network.

Why do you think Sprint can offer these free roaming plans? If customers were excessively roaming they wouldn't be offering these plans because they'd be losing too much money. Before 2004 they never offered free roaming plans and they were doing just fine (leading the industry in new subcribers for 14 consecutive quarters at one point) with a smaller and much less reliable network than they have today.

It's kind of funny that the more coverage improvements that Sprint makes the more some people try to discredit it or downplay it. That certainly doesn't make any sense in my book and it's kind of amusing. :D

#37 larry, Nov 10, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2007
  8. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    Excuse my bluntness, Larry, but how is it that you are allowed to give your opinions about what you think affects most Sprint customers or what you think most Sprint customers do/don't do or about what Sprint is doing in areas you have never visited, but we are not allowed to express actual facts about our Sprint experiences in our areas? Interesting.

What is amusing me is that some people talk on behalf of all/most Sprint customers, but sadly Sprint's numbers are proving otherwise quarter after quarter after quarter.

Again, excuse my bluntness, I guess we just all need to try to be a little fair and balanced- even when we all have our own obvious biases.

9. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Andy you're entitled to your opinion just like I am to mine and so is everyone else. All I'm doing is challenging those opinions just like my opinions have been challenged. So we'll agree to disagree as always and leave it at that. Nothing wrong with a good debate even if it gets a little carried away sometimes right? I admit sometimes I can come off a little too strong especially when I see something that doesn't make much sense. Maybe I do have a bias when I feel that I'm right but it's obvious that I'm not the only one.

I will add that Sprint's poor numbers are not because of their CDMA network or frequency like some people keep trying to push on here. It's all IDEN, marketing, poor leadership, customer service, and a few other things. Sprint continues to add customers on the CDMA side but they're leaving in droves on the IDEN side. But most people assume the CDMA side is falling apart as well and that's just not true. But the bottom line is it doesn't matter because they have to come up with solutions to all of the problems along with the bad public perception (some of which is deserved and some of which isn't).

Now hopefully we can get back to the original topic with some new ideas instead of the same old repetitive arguments that don't really add much value to the thread. This thread isn't about whether Sprint has good rural coverage or coverage in Utah or New Jersey but about what's instore for the future. I'd also like to see the original poster come back to follow up with any opinions or thoughts.

#39 larry, Nov 11, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2007
  10. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Ok, going back to the original subject, I don't see much of a future for Sprint. I know many people that are now ex-Sprint users and they all agree that Sprint used to be good. What happened to all that? There's a reason why they are no longer using Sprint. And if Sprint has made so many investments, why are they now worse than before? I'm not talking about coverage, I'm talking about the company in general (marketing, services, products, offers, pricing, customer service, support, etc.). It doesn't take this long to turn a company around. Cingular had its bad times and managed to turn around in about 6 months. What's taking Sprint so long?

The Nextel buyout happened over a year ago. I think it's time to wake up and understand that this was a bad move for Sprint. Nextel is just dragging Sprint into the pond with it. Let's face it, what has the IDEN network and 20+ million Nextel customers brought to Sprint? Has being closer to Verizon and AT&T in size put Sprint in any position to be a threat to Verizon or AT&T? On the contrary, they are less of a threat today. Their lack of focus as a company has diversified Sprint too much and does not give Sprint a defined image in the eyes of customers.

Right now, if you look at Verizon and ask what does Verizon stand for, you probably think that it stands for quality and reliability. If you think of AT&T, it will probably stands for good coverage and global reach. If you think of T-Mobile, you'd think it stands for a friendly service with good pricing. But what exactly does Sprint stand for? Walkie-talkie? Broadband? Quality? What? There's just no defined image for them.

Unfortunately, I don't see the name Sprint will last much longer. We heard that some Korean company was interested in buying Sprint, and now I hear that Google is interested in buying them (and I think they should), and if that happens you bet the name Sprint will be the first thing to go. I'm sure Sprint will have a future under a different name and different ownership, but I don't see any future with the current ownership as Sprint.

What I never understood is, with a name like Sprint, how did they get so far behind? ;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #40 bobolito, Nov 14, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2007
  11. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Good contribution there Bobolito and I happen to agree with some of what you're saying. It's nice to see a post about the real issues. However I do think the Nextel merger did do plenty of good for exisiting Sprint customers who now have much better coverage since the merger (although most probably take it for granted anyway). But Sprint never did anything to market this better coverage or tout it other than the web site tower improvement locations function and a couple of billboards out in the Inland Empire. If anything I think maybe they invested too much money into CDMA coverage improvements and advanced data. Maybe they should have spent less on that and more on other things like customer service and marketing (SprintSpeed is lame and even worse than the last one). Anyone agree?

Also many of the affiliates (Alamosa, Ubiquitel, US Unwired & Airgate) have been bought out and are now part of Sprint corporate. Without the merger I don't believe that would have happened. Customers in those markets now have access to all of Sprint's offerings including unlimited roaming.

To me service hasn't gotten any worse since the merger (on any point). Coverage has improved so much in all of the areas I travel. Coverage was already good around here even before the merger. Since the merger they've added CDMA to 7 different Nextel sites within 5 miles of where I live.

But I do see some things they certainly could have done better to try and keep loyal customers who left. Didn't they miss out on the best selling phone (Razr) of all time during it's peak popularity? I bet that hurt them a lot. Plus the inability to bring out hybrid phones in a timely manner didn't help either. Also they never seem to push any of their exclusive phones like other carrier's do (ie. AT&T with the iphone and Verizon with the Chocolate). So nobody really relates any special phone to Sprint even though they have had a few good ones they could have marketed better.

The CDMA side is still doing ok which is an indication that most of the problems are/were in fact as a result of IDEN/Boost they took on and just couldn't find the right steps to recover.

Maybe they do need to change the name and start fresh. As long as I get to keep my plan and service I won't mind something like that. Maybe the new CEO will turn things around.

12. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Well said. I don't think I can find a point of contention in anything you have said. Sprint is a marketing and PR disaster.

Like Larry, I wouldn't say things have become any worse at Sprint, but any improvements have been completely transparent to me. Sprint is still lousy inside my house. And in the end, that is one of the few places I really care about.

Sprint's great pricing on data and plan add-ons is the only reason I am still with them. It makes up for the spotty coverage at home.

With that in mind, the only carrier I have ever been happy with is T-Mobile. Their rural AZ coverage is why I didn't switch to them when I moved here. The times I have been ATT/Cingular and Verizon have been no less painful experiences than Sprint. So I tolerate Sprint because it saves me some money.

13. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    As we've talked about before there was no Nextel cell site to add CDMA to near your home. I looked it up on the map and it's just one of those unfortunate places where neither Sprint or Nextel has a cell site. Sometimes neighborhoods just don't have an eligible place to put one and that sucks but it's not necessarily the carrier's fault (although most people would believe it is). Phoenix metro is normally a very good market for Sprint so I bet you won't find a lot of other places where you don't get a good signal.

14. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    That is correct. The area around my house is probably the worst I have experienced in the metro area. They are building a huge shopping center practically across the street from me, so maybe they will stick a site somewhere on the grounds of the new complex.

15. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Yeah sometimes that what it takes. Once the shopping center goes up they will get more complaints and then have to do something. Plus sometimes a new shopping center brings the ability to locate a cell site there (ie. clock tower, flagpole, etc). When it comes to placing cell sites you need to have both a willing landlord and an area that's properly zoned for a cell site. That's not always easy or possible to do. In the case of Phoenix, Sprint has Alltel as a roaming partner so you can always flip your phone to roaming and be able to utilize EV-DO data as well. Here in LA we only have Verizon so it's just the regular 1x data available when roaming (which is fine for me if I ever need to use it).

Too bad Sprint can't just merge with Alltel since they already have a great roaming deal between them and have always had a friendly relationship. :D

16. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Not to mention Alltel works great at my house!

17. SmArTeStChIlD421

SmArTeStChIlD421 Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    i agree with many points that Sprint can't make up their mind on image.......and like it is mentioned after your post........Sprint also doesnt have exclusive phones like the IPhone and the Chocolate......and they did get the RAZR really late.......but you're right Sprint is being dragged under with the Nextel thing...........just my opinion so dont kill me for it cuz i know its coming........but i think they just need to force the Nextel customers to migrate and shut off the Nextel network within the next year or two.........let the Nextel customers keep their current contract expiration date and such but force them to take a new plan and new phone and be done with it.........if they dont wanna switch then thats only proof that the merger was bad..........the Nextel people prolli didnt want Sprint forced on them anyway......

now i def think that with the past few campaigns they have been campaigning the whole business/broadband thing..........all the features and such that make Sprint a phone that can be the center of your life.......thats what i get out of the commercials

one thing i've noticed since the merger is that Boost has started offering the Sprint Unlimited plan to it's customers and it's only selling the plan on 2 CDMA phones that they carry............here's some initiative taken by Boost and I have to applaud it.

yes buying out ALLTEL would make things easier and it could make up for all the Nextel customers have lost........so in the end Sprint gets all the Nextel partners..........some Nextel customers and IPCS Alamosa Ubiquitel..............etc...............they get more customers............more coverage.........more room to do make upgrades to current coverage.......not add new coverage........simplly merging reduces the need to expand coverage

an important thing that I think about Sprint is that their services and features are extremely competitive...........i feell that the advances they are making with their CDMA technology are incredible..........and have made them more formidable as an economical and technological opponent..........but Nextel is honestly just a distraction from goals.........

so i stand by what i said and i know that not many people here agree with me but i think that if Sprint really wanted to do this right they should have merged.............sent a flyer home in every bill notifying people of the merger....................wait a year and begin making deadlines for migration with some incentives......then shut down the network.......because keeping the network open is just creating more and more problems for itself

18. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    I don't believe that a Korean company or Google will acquire Sprint. In fact I'm sure the Google rumor was just some silly internet rumor that had no basis. I have no reason to believe that Sprint will be acquired any time soon and I also think they can survive on their own.

19. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Yet if there was an opportunity for google to take them I would love to see this.

20. Fire14

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    With the Private Equity involved now who knows what they will do with Alltel, I have a feeling they are going to slowly split it up like they do with every corporation they buy especially Blackstone group.
    So maybe Sprint will buy some good areas that they need.

21. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Yeah that's a possibility. Sell the Alltel network off in parts and whichever carrier needs a certain area they could go after it. I could see Sprint interested in a few of their Western areas but not a whole lot. But as usual I'm skeptical that this will happen and especially any time soon.

22. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I would like to see Google get into the wireless arena either by buying Sprint or Alltel. With the 700Mhz auction coming, they can't go wrong buying either one.

23. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Wirelessly posted (Palm Centro: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-D062; Blazer/4.5) 16;320x320)

well let's hope that they do

24. Fire14

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I agree Larry I don't see it happening anytime soon, but I do think it will happen eventually, these private equities are known to do it more then not, just to get some of their capital back & the worst the market gets, the more they want to look good.
    I think all the carriers would jump at this if they did decide to split up the network into markets.

Now this is an interesting possibility, especailly with all the cash Google has laying around & now they they are working on the phone & Sprint is one of the carriers chosen, who knows if they don't have another motive involved.

25. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    well as far as i know..........Google is going to simply create a Linux-based operating system for certain phones...........HTC has pitched in from the look of this article.......and now that HTC has patented it's TouchFlo interface.........that mixed with Google's Android operationg system will create a very iPhone-esque feel:

The Sydney Morning Herald Blogs: Gadgets on the Go

and this website is even suggesting a partnership with Clearwire and it goes to say that Sprint nixed its agreement with Clearwire????? when did that happen?:

Clearwire an Option for Google in Wireless Quest

and there was plenty of articles on Google's ambitions to bid in the 700MhZ auction...........the plan to spend $4.6B

26. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    I for one welcome..............this I think google and htc would make a good team.............you know the 700 spectrum will be a neat thing to watch,.

27. Gman

Gman Senior Member

My Phone:
    Epic 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    The Sprint/Clearwire agreement was announced Friday 11/9/07 . They said they plan on continuing to hold talks and did not rule out a future partnership. They also will wait to make major WIMAX decisions until after a new CEO is selected.

28. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    it would be but can you use WiMax on 700MhZ.....i dont think so.........but HTC provides very good all-in-one phones that i'm sure Google is looking for............they have always been very innovative........im sure that Google will go beyond voice and data will be just as dominant

29. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    CEO for which company???

30. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Unless I have missed something where does it say wimax cant be used on this?