Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

What does the future hold for Sprint? ...

Discussion in 'Sprint Forum' started by speedmaster, Nov 1, 2007.

1. speedmaster

speedmaster New Member

Should we be worried about Sprint long-term? I see tons of Verizon ads on TV every day, very few if any Sprint ads.

Should I be concerned about renewing my Sprint contract? I don't mean to be a 'chicken little', just interested in others' opinions.

Sprint Posts 77% Drop in Net
    As It Continues to Lose Subscribers
    "Sprint Nextel Corp.'s third-quarter net income tumbled 77% as it continued to lose high-margin subscribers and warned of subscriber-growth troubles for the fourth quarter as well."
    (from today's WSJ)

Thanks in advance!

Chris
    The Amateur Economist & Curmudgeon Blog

2. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    As long as Sprint is working well for you why do you care?

3. moogle10000

moogle10000 New Member

My Phone:
    Sanyo 8200
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint, Together With Nextel (PCS)
    Pain and suffering...

The trouble is that sprint has completely banked on the data network forgetting that first and foremost they are a mobile telephone company.

As a result, they've neglected to build out a comprehensive voice network that covers where the majority of people live instead of building out a comprehensive data network.

Don't get me wrong, Sprint's EV-DO network is better than any other in my opinion... But their voice network pretty much sucks. And that's the reason Verizon is doing so much better: they offer the complete package.

4. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Wirelessly posted (LG-LX350 AU-MIC-LX350/2.0 MMP/2.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

I'll disagree with what you just said. Sprint has an excellent CDMA voice network and have dropped a massive amount of money with their synergy site campaign. They've done everything they can to improve the voice network. I guess they can never satisfy everyone but most CDMA users are very satisfied with their greatly improved voice and data network.

5. moogle10000

moogle10000 New Member

My Phone:
    Sanyo 8200
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint, Together With Nextel (PCS)
    I must concede that it's better than it used to be...

But they still have serious problems. 330K+ lost subscribers *this quarter*... People didn't leave because Verizon was cheaper... That's for sure.

6. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    To somewhat back up larry on this one, yes Sprint has dropped a TON of money recently with their synergy site deals, BUT especially before this, and even now in some areas, Sprint is still seriously lagging behind in network quality and coverage. Sure Southern California may be Sprint's strongest market, but this country is huge, and Sprint still needs a lot of work to fix their swiss cheesed network in some areas of this country, including mine.

7. HLOGGER!

HLOGGER! New Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 6315i
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    LOL SWISSED CHEESED NETWORK!

8. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    I think people care because why do they want to be associated with something that is failing numbers wise. When posting on things like this you have to get out of the Wireless Advisor bubble and realize that for the common consumer they dont know or even care about terms like synergy sites and how much money was spent on the network. I beileve that one portrayed badly it is very very hard to shake that and as long as Sprint keeps having these negetive things then they are just going to keep sinking.

9. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Wirelessly posted (LG-LX350 AU-MIC-LX350/2.0 MMP/2.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

Well we all have our own opinions and for me as long as I'm happy with my plan and service thats all that matters to me. I don't care what anyone else may think.

10. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint

They're not leaving because of a poor CDMA network.

Sprint led the industry in subscriber growth for 14 consecutive quarters from 1998 to 2002 (or something like that). Back then they actually did have a poor network in some markets and were able to sign up customers in droves regardless. The network is light years better now.

There are plenty of reasons why customers are leaving. Poor customer service, marketing/advertising and inability to come out with popular hit phones and market them properly are the biggest issues with Sprint. Plus problems on the IDEN side have hurt as well.

Some say the Nextel merger was a bad move and in a way it might have been because integrating two incompatible systems has been much harder than originally thought. But think of all the CDMA improvements that wouldn't have happened if the merger hadn't happened. Us long time existing CDMA customers have greatly benefited by the synergy sites.

Another thing to mention is that the other carriers were able to come out with brilliant marketing strategies and were able to essentially brainwash many people into believeing their hype.

Plus a lot of it is based on perception instead of reality. They hear bad things so they stay away even if some of those bad things are exaggerations and/or misinformation.

#10 larry, Nov 2, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2007
  11. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Sprint has plenty of markets where they are very strong. It's not just So. Cal. But they can't just waive a magic wand and fill in every spot and make everyone happy. These things take time and in some cases they simply can't fill in every gap in every market due to NIMBY's, zoning laws, budgets, etc. To make up for this Sprint has put together the best roaming capabilities out of any carrier.

12. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Well, the best roaming capabilities are not good enough when your in-market Sprint coverage sucks. I'm not about to get into an argument because it won't go anywhere, but I can talk from experience in an area Sprint needs some help. It is annoying when your call drops frequently, then switches to roaming and then you can continue...It happens while driving, when entering a building...it's just annoying, so yes while Sprint has done a great job in regards to roaming, there are other coverage issues that they need to (and are addressing in some areas).

13. Fire14

Fire14 Easy,Cheap & Sleazy

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Very well put RJB, yes those of us here do have a better understanding of what's going on with the carriers & what they are doing, but compared to the amount of "Customers" the carriers have we & people on other boards are such a small percentage of them.
    People do go by what they hear & read in the news, hearing Sprint is loosing customers every quater & people complaining about CS ect... it adds up to the regular consumers impression. This goes true for ANY company.

They need to fix a lot of area's Andy & it's those of us in these area's that know the facts.

14. lennyj17

lennyj17 Junior Member

I love when people think they know everything and nothing really.....

1. Sprint's is solly loosing customers on the IDEN side (to be exact, Iden lost 1.6 mil this Q and Boost added 400K, bringing the total loss to 1.2M) wich mean Sprint CDMA had to post a gain in order to make up for the IDEN loss to only post a 60k loss...So its not quite a CS problem like people want to generlize....

2. At least Sprint lets you force Roaming, I would hate to be in an area where VZW has locked out in market and there network goes down (and it happens quite frequently I might add), and it free.

I swear people will look for the smallest, insignificant flaws and try to paint one brush stroke like everyone has there same problem with Sprint....These forums have become a Joke, nothing but a bunch of Haters.

15. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    You know Lenny it really is not right of you to storm in here and think that your opinions are right and attack ours by saying that we don't know what we are talking about. IF you want to be talked to like an adult and held as credible, you need to work on that because I am not even going to argue with you- it's not worth it.

16. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint

Sure I can see your point Andy but to be honest most Sprint customers in most Sprint markets don't have this problem. We hear the same 3 or 4 people with "coverage at my house sucks" arguments but that doesn't mean it's a true representation of Sprint's network quality. It's funny how when someone has bad luck with Sprint in their neighborhood, they try to make it more of a widespread issue like it's a major epidemic or something.

Sprint's CDMA is doing just fine on an overall basis and will continue to get better and better as more and more synergy sites get turned up. No carrier can dominate in every market nor should anyone expect them to.

17. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Yeah just like EVERY carrier has their areas they need to fix. But only focusing on Sprint for this reason seems to be the popular thing to do.

The facts remain that Sprint has made awesome improvements in all of the major markets and if people choose to look the other way and not give any credit then that's too bad. Without the Nextel merger Sprint would not have been able to do the synergy thing at all and then you'd really have something to complain about. ;)

#17 larry, Nov 3, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2007
  18. lennyj17

lennyj17 Junior Member

Tell me something Andy, why is most of the poster's in the Sprint forums not even Sprint users, but yet they always have an opinion of Sprint....That always seems to bogle my mind for some reason....I mean, I myself have used Sprint for the last 10 years and dont have the problems of some of you that used Sprint for 10minutes, and go through enough problems to make Mother Threasa throw in the towel

19. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    1. Very true the IDEN side is just not doing well for them and that is where a majority of numbers are coming down. But the fact is, is the Sprint owns this company and is every way associated with the loss and well will be affected as well. Sucks but it is true. I really dont like to see any company post numbers like this.

2. As far as force roaming you only name one carrier what about tmobile att and others why was there a need to point only Verizon out. Sorry just wondering is all??

Lenny no offense but for only posting like 80 times here how can you say this place is a joke if you are not invloved. If you get more invloved with things then you might learn to cope with certain people and things and get to know them. People only find the bad things when that is what they are seaking.

Please dont get me wrong just want to discuss my thoughts on this is all.

20. SmArTeStChIlD421

SmArTeStChIlD421 Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    i concur.........i think that the Sprint CDMA network is great, and it is simply iDEN that is dragging Sprint down. And if they lose some iDEN customers thats okay. We can migrate and campaign and the losses may be great but we can try and of those losses on iDEN are really big we can simply expand CDMA and add the WiMax and say that the merger was a bit of a failure.....

on the topic of Boost for those of you who didnt read my other thread. the sprint unlimited plan is now being offered to boost customers so Boost is now selling CDMA phones which is a good move to switch to the Sprint side of things beause they will have to do it eventually.........i think that the synergy and the PowerSource phones were a good move to make everyone happy and it has expanded coverage a lot.............

so unless you're running Sprint and can experience how hard it is to resolve all the issues and complaints that have been mentioned its not really fair to criticize Sprints progress because they are doing all they can to keep it up

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  21. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    So I am assuming you are in charge of Sprint and know these things? Is that what is allowing you to make such a comment?
    This is an open public forum where everyone can voice their opinions; just as you have voiced yours, other can voice theirs, even if it is against Sprint, whether or not they are in charge of the company.

22. Gamer03

Gamer03 Technology Aficionado
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola X Pure
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    I agree with everyone that they can freely voice their opinions and comments. Anyway, here is my spin on the comments. Since having my first cell phone in 2000 (Cellular One TDMA before they were AT&T TDMA and then Cingular TDMA and now GSM), I have learned many things. I have personally tried out Cingular (now AT&T), Verizon, and Sprint, and have found some complaints with each provider. I have even tried to find the "perfect" provider, and I hate to say it, but there isn't really such a thing as a "perfect" provider.

In MY area, Verizon is now starting to have a worse network (than they did when we signed up with them almost three years ago) within a 5-6 mile radius of my house since most people I see with cell phones have some sort of a Verizon phone. IMHO, the network is starting to get too congested which in turn has made us drop some calls in our house (which isn't good since my dad uses his Verizon phone strictly for business calls) and our phones have been sort of "jumpy/garbled" when we had called out and even received calls. Also, my sister is working on her doctorate for English at UNL in Lincoln, Nebraska, and while Verizon is good in Lincoln, in her apartment she has dropped about 15 calls in the past 2 and a half months. When she goes outside, the reception is better, but she makes more of her calls inside her apartment.

So for these reasons above, even though Verizon is awesome and has a good reputation, we will most likely be switching to either Sprint or Alltel next August when our contract is up unless Verizon gets their act together.

Now here is a statement of advice that everyone needs to remember: What works for you in your city/town/neighborhood will NOT necessarily work for someone else in their city/town/neighborhood!

So I think we should stop trying to get into an argument (especially before this thread gets closed) and focus on helping people with their issues/problems and definitely NOT turn into other forums. I joined Wireless Advisor for the friendly atmosphere and knowledgably members that give their expert advice and not for the hostility and the common my carrier is better than yours mentality that I see on other forums. To restate what I have said, remember that there is not such a thing as a "perfect" provider even though your provider may seem like they are, since every provider has problems.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  23. SmArTeStChIlD421

SmArTeStChIlD421 Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    it just seems like everyone is making Sprint out to be a company that can't do anything right and that they don't try to fix things

24. Gman

Gman Senior Member

My Phone:
    Epic 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Post counts are irrelevant to everything. There are lots of people that are knowledgeable but are happy being lurkers.

Also, to ensure readability, can we all re-read our posts for grammar and punctuation before submitting ? I usually give up on posts that are one giant run-on sentence even though there may be a valid message contained.

25. Gman

Gman Senior Member

My Phone:
    Epic 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Once again, you are referring to your issue (as a long time Verizon /short time Sprint user) in Utah. We have heard about this for years now. This does not mean that anyone else, even in the same area, will have the same issues . Everyone uses a service differently based on their needs.

This thread is about what the future holds for Sprint. It is interesting to read different ideas for the future when presented in a positive, constructive manner. However, when we all get back to the same arguments no one likes to participate.

26. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    1. They are not irrelevant to everything but ok sure you the man.

2. You know sorry that things are not to your standards please excuse my horrible spelling and grammar. Serious what is with this post it does nothing but point out the bad in me wow thanks.

Anywho you know everyone I am done with these type of Sprint threads I honestly thought I was at least making good and valid points. Well, I am not I guess so I will just stay out of these for a while since nothing I say matters. For the record I am not a "Sprint hater".

27. Gman

Gman Senior Member

My Phone:
    Epic 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Sorry RJB, I was not singling you out and I did not mean for you to take it personally. It is a problem in all forums (maybe for me only) but I tend to read this one more thoroughly than the others (rather than just scan) . Once again, I had no one person in mind when I wrote that post .
    So, I apologize if you thought it was directed toward you and in no way did I imply that you don't have any useful information to share with others.

28. bambam

bambam Junior Member

Also , the 1900mhz native coverage just doesn't work that well in many locations contibutiing to the "swiss cheese" network . Verizon and AT&T have a definite advantage with the 800mhz native coverage in many locations . If Sprint would convert some of there Nextel sites to 800mhz it would really help .

29. bambam

bambam Junior Member

Also , the 1900mhz native coverage just doesn't work that well in many locations contributing to the "swiss cheese" network . Verizon and AT&T have a definite advantage with their 800mhz native coverage in the majority of their locations . If Sprint would convert some of their Nextel sites to 800mhz, it would really help .

30. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    I'll disagree that this is as big of a problem as you make it to be. Sprint's 1900 Mhz system works just fine in many areas and has gotten much better since the merger and will continue to get better and better. They do not need any 800 Mhz to compete with the other carriers. They just need everything else to get better. The 800 Mhz thing is not going to happen so I don't see the point of talking about it.