Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

What do you use your wireless phone for?

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by Jay2TheRescue, Nov 10, 2008.

?

What do you use your wireless device for? (Check as many as apply)

Poll closed Feb 8, 2009.
  1. Making telephone calls

98.6%
  2. Texting

77.8%
  3. Email

54.2%
  4. Calendar / Appointment scheduler / reminder

63.9%
  5. Surfing the internet

56.9%
  6. Taking pictures

73.6%
  7. Play games

29.2%
  8. Listen to music (mp3, internet radio, etc)

41.7%
  9. Clock / Alarm Clock / Watch

73.6%
  10. Address book

54.2%
  11. Calculator

61.1%
  12. Editing documents (.txt, .doc, powerpoint, etc)

8.3%
  13. Watch mobile TV

9.7%
  14. Teathering (Internet access for laptop or other device)

11.1%
  15. GPS Navigation

27.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. dmapr

dmapr Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    There you go — you can use something like Photoshop Elements if you have it or even Paint (not so great results, but still better than digital zoom).

2 people like this.
  2. josephd

josephd Tomorrow is another day.

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    White iPhone 5C 16GB
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I will keep that in mind, I am going to New York this weekend so I am going to take some pics and see what I can do. Thanks again for your assistance Dmitry.:)

3. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    Glad to help, buddy! ;)

4. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    So the poll claims that 97.44% of the responders use their wireless device to make telephone calls. So that means that 2.56% of responders don't use their phone to make phone calls? How's that possible?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    What do you mean? You're surprised to see that someone has a willpower to only use phone for data? Or that someone only needs data on the go and is perfectly happy with a landline for all things voice? While I'm not the person who voted that way, I do have a phone which I use exclusively for messaging — I've never made nor will I ever make a phone call on it. In my case it's not my main line, but in somebody else's case it is :)

6. hme83

hme83 Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia E7, E70-2 & 6820
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t
    hmmmm. I don't know what to say. :p :D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. cheddar

cheddar Senior Member

I'm guessing at least part of the 2.56% are teenagers who do make cell phone calls, just rarely. Polls can be funny with how people answer.

8. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I just never imagined anyone would pay for wireless service and not use it for voice. Besides the Sidekick plan, or the laptop data card plans (which are not phones), is there any carrier that offers a data only plan for a phone? That's why I thought that was not possible.

9. hme83

hme83 Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia E7, E70-2 & 6820
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t
    You and me both. :p :)

Unfortunately, I'm not aware of any carrier that offers a more "data oriented" plan - although I certainly wish there were. I use 40 - 60 MB's of data/month (basically just e-mail) and approx.400 texts with virtually no voice (avg. < 5 minutes total usage/month - listening to VM from wrong numbers, etc. :D ).

I've considered one of the "messaging/internet" devices such as a Sony MyLo - but I want the "anywhere/everywhere" access that a cellular network provides (rather than just WiFi). I also want the ability to make a phone call if desired/needed, and I want the small size of a cell phone - although my laptop is only 11 inches.

And to top it all off - I'm not a teenager. I will admit - I'm the only person I know who needs no phones and has four. Apparently it's an illness I've contracted. :lmao:

10. ta206

ta206 Junior Member

My Phone:
    E815
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    One of my best friends is deaf ~ I don't believe that she utilizes the voice feature.

11. Batteries4Less

Batteries4Less New Member

If this poll was done in Japan, teens especially, the majority of the responses would definitely fall in order as text messaging, internet (streaming music & reading books/magazines), and then probably voice or games.

Most cell phone plans in Japan are very expensive for voice, but cheap for internet and texting.

12. jerry 12

jerry 12 Junior Member

My Phone:
    BlackBerry Bold 9930
    Wireless Provider(s):
    us cellular / Verizon
    i use my Blackberry 8330 for

talking
    email
    sms
    internet
    mms :)

13. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Joe, other than the additional charge for the BB plan that dmapr mentioned, I don't think you will like web browsing on the Curve, atleast I didn't when I tried it out last.

Back on topic:

I just spent 2 weeks overseas using my Treo Pro for SMS, E-Mail, GPS, Documents, Calendar, tasks, calculator, taking pictures, alarm clock, address book, Web Browsing but no calls.

2 people like this.
  14. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer

My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    Hmmm, no currency conversion as well? I can't decide whether I should be impressed that you didn't need a converter, or disappointed that you didn't think of it.

-Jay

15. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    LOL, the conversion rate was 50 to 1. How hard could that be to figure out. ;)

16. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer

My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    I guess with a conversion rate like that its hard to spend too much on something.

-Jay

17. josephd

josephd Tomorrow is another day.

My Phone:
    White iPhone 5C 16GB
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Thanks Charlyee, I think when the time comes I will not fix what is not broken. So far I have had good luck with all my crappy SE's, so I will give the 760 a look.:D

18. Simon5282

Simon5282 Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Thats a lot. I guess I found someone who has a need for an unlimited plan.

19. KyleAndMelissa22

KyleAndMelissa22 Woot Woot, Splat !!!

My Phone:
    LG Lucid 3 / G4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless (SID 299, NID 173)
    I take great care of my phone, considering how much I use it for talking. :cool:

Everyone else in my house has gotten new phones,
    while mine has lasted so far for 2 years and 3 months, and it's my 1st phone, and still in good condition.

20. 21RCA

21RCA Member

My Phone:
    Galaxy Note II
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW
    It's amazing what the modern cell phone can do nowadays. I prefer a Blackberry.

For personal use it's, Voice, Email, Texting and managing a website using the Internet. When I have time I use the Camera and take pics of Cell Sites to post here :)

At work it's, Voice, Email, Calendar, Calculator and keeping track of Notes. Sometimes I take pics of my jobs.

21. SteveW

SteveW Battery mgmt is my life

My Phone:
    T-Mo G2, LG CU500
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Here is what I checked. I don't think my use has changed much from the last time we did this.

Frequently
    Making telephone calls
    Address book (if by that we mean phone numbers and email addresses)
    Email
    Surfing the internet
    Calendar / Appointment scheduler / reminder (on the BB)
    Clock / Alarm Clock / Watch (I don't wear a watch anymore - I always have at least one phone on me. :))

Sometimes
    Taking pictures
    Texting

Rarely
    Calculator

I would have checked GPS navigation, but like some others, I use Google Maps with its tower-based location, rather than actual GPS. Better than paying Verizon another $10/month. :mad: I try to never use 411, since it's cheaper and usually less frustrating to use Google Maps or the browser to look up a number. 411 charges are a ripoff and I only use it if I'm driving and it's an emergency.

As for things not on the list, I sometimes use the memo or notepad application if I don't have anything else to write with.

SW

22. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, AT&T based Tracfone, T-Mobile
    I don't use the VZNav thiing either. If you upgrade your device software, the GPS is unlocked for BlackBerry Maps. I use this sometimes... there's no voice to assist you, that may be a con (not for me, anyway).

I never use 411... I use one of the free services, like Google. I even downloaded the Yellowpages Internet app onto the phone. My voice usage had decreased; however, my data usage has increased:D

23. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    DANG! I was born in the wrong decade. My techno-nerd index is at least 100. But my functional index is much lower. No one my age uses computers and cell phones confuse them. My own daughters won't text me. So I'm left with a very blan wireless life. Just phone calls and some internal functions (calendar, calc, etc.)

But the wanna-be nerd in me wants so much more!

24. SteveW

SteveW Battery mgmt is my life

My Phone:
    T-Mo G2, LG CU500
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    How do you do this? Do you do it with RIM or Verizon and what version of the OS should one get? Link please. :)

Of course the voice is not needed, although we like to make up stories about "the woman" who talks to us in my wife's Acura. She seems to have a bit of excitement in her voice when she says, "Destination is ahead...on the right." And then, just a touch of satisfaction when she says for the final time, "Destination!" It sounds like she's thinking "I got you where you were going, once again. I'm good!!" :lmao:

Naturally, data usage increases when your data speeds go up. There are only so many people you can talk to, after all, but surfing on a fast connection is endless. :cool:

SW

25. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, AT&T based Tracfone, T-Mobile
    I went to BlackBerry® Software Updates and upgraded the OS to 4.5. I have BIS... and I'm not sure whether it works with BES, but it's worth a shot, right? The update came out on 10/31. I haven't been able to see if the GPS is unlocked for other programs... from what I can see, my Google Maps does not work with the GPS.

That's a little funny:lmao:

I never thought I'd give tethering a try, but I am doing it for the holidays so I won't be tied to a contract since it is merely a data addon and not a new piece of equipment:)

26. chokaay

chokaay Junior Member

My Phone:
    Palm Centro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    YES = Making telephone calls
    YES = Texting
    YES = Email
    YES = Calendar / Appointment scheduler / reminder
    YES = Surfing the internet
    YES (sometimes when I don't have a digital camera) = Taking pictures
    YES (sometimes when I'm away from a computer and there's nothing else to do) = Play games
    NO (but I might... if it won't use up the battery too quickly) = Listen to music (mp3, internet radio, etc)
    YES = Clock / Alarm Clock / Watch
    YES = Address book
    YES = Calculator
    NO (haven't needed to yet, but I would if I didn't have a laptop) = Editing documents (.txt, .doc, powerpoint, etc)
    NO (don't subscribe, and screen too small) = Watch mobile TV
    NO (but I might in airports if I didn't have access to the airport VIP lounge) = Teathering (Internet access for laptop or other device)
    YES (sometimes when I'm in a car without GPS and I didn't print out directions beforehand) = GPS Navigation

27. hf1khal

hf1khal Who am I to judge

My Phone:
    iphone 4, 3G S, BB 9700
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T Mobility, MTC Touch
    No for pics, teathering, Mobile TV or Document editing. Yes for the rest.

28. Darai

Darai New Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry Storm
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I selected making calls, surfing the web, email, internet radio, calendar, calculator, and ALARM CLOCK! probably the most important one since I tend to wake up easily with a movement (cellphone vibrating) rather than to any sound... so no classical alarm clock can every replace the cellphone...

Also should be mentioned: to see in the dark, create excuses to get rid of annoying people/boring meetings (a "sudden emergency"), and to look for someone else's cellphone (typical "call me to see where it is")...