Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

What did she do?

Discussion in 'Alltel Forum' started by lg8600fan, May 27, 2008.

1. lg8600fan

lg8600fan New Member

My phone (LG ax565) has had horrible reception for weeks, I drop 80% of my calls and can't hear the rest -even outside- they tell me I'm in a fringe area. My son has my old V265 and has full signal?

I bring it to the Alltel store at least once a week - the girls puts a code in the phone and it works for a few days (perfectly!) What is she doing? She won't tell me - says it for "reps only".

They have sent me a free replacement phone but since this is my 5th phone in a year (3- 8600's 2- 565's) maybe I just need this code!!!!!

Anyone know?

2. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    I think the biggest part of your problem is your phone. You said your son has no problems with his V265. I'm assuming that its a Motorola. Motorola phones are generally better in fringe areas than LG's. Possibly the store rep was forcing the phone to roam on Verizon or another carrier, and eventually your phone found its way to its home network.

-Jay

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. lg8600fan

lg8600fan New Member

I know it's the phone - I have tried everything to get them to let me switch to a motorola they just keep replacing the phone...........really frustrating. I am in the UP of Michigan so I don't think she would be forcing it to verison. The only other option we have here is At&T do you think thats what she is doing? Would I be able to do that?

4. Jay2TheRescue

My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    No. AT&T uses a different network technology. Alltel phones cannot operate on AT&T's network. The 2 carriers are not compatible.

-Jay

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    I very much doubt switching to a Motorola will solve your problem.

The LG565 is an excellent phone and byfar much suprior to the V265 in reception and call clarity. US Cellular carries both of them in my area and I am very familiar with them. In general LG makes excellent CDMA phones and always has.

Now the V265 is trimode mode and has analog, it is my understanding that all analog has been shut off, but is there a remote possibility that you still have analog in UP and that is what your son's phone is latching on to?

If there is no other CDMA provider up there then she is not forcing your phone to roam, and so I guess I don't know what she could be doing to make it work better.

6. treotosh

treotosh Junior Member

My Phone:
    Palm Treo 750
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular/At&t
    The code that the sales rep puts in most likey just amped your sinal, in other words it just refreshes the line. As if you where to restart your computer you would start off fresh. Same thing with the phone.

7. lg8600fan

lg8600fan New Member

How do you do that?

8. treotosh

treotosh Junior Member

My Phone:
    Palm Treo 750
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular/At&t
    Did she enter the code on the phone, or did she connect the phone to a computer then enter the code?

9. lg8600fan

lg8600fan New Member

She enters a code

10. treotosh

treotosh Junior Member

My Phone:
    Palm Treo 750
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular/At&t
    sorry it's taking sooo long, i am having troble finding anything on it:( But were you able to make any phone calls today or this week?

11. lg8600fan

lg8600fan New Member

She reset (or whatever) on Tuesday of last week. It worked perfect until Thursday night - I dropped calls and had interupted conversations since then. My new phone arrived today - we will see how long this one lasts:eek: Thats why I was asking - I am tired of getting new phones (starting over) it seems like everytime I get one set up the way I want it - it goes bad. If I had this code I could just put it in every couple days if I need to.

12. treotosh

treotosh Junior Member

My Phone:
    Palm Treo 750
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular/At&t
    I am sorry this happened, but yes keep us posted and feel free to message me at all if you have any other questions.

1 person likes this.
  13. music4praise

music4praise Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola W766
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, Ting
    Having been an Alltel customer for a number of years, I have to disagree with you on this one. Except for the V120e, which was a piece of junk, Motorola phones nearly always perform better in fringe area's on Alltel's network than LGs. The V265 version sold by Alltel was really a pretty good phone in the reception department. I cannot speak for ones using USCC firmware.

Analog is turned off in Michigan and has been since the middle of April so that is not likely to be factor. The best answer, in my view, is picking up a V3m or an E815 off of eBay. The LG could be sold to recoup some of the cost of the Moto.

14. Jay2TheRescue

My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    I'd say if going for an ebay phone I'd go for an E815 or a V710

-Jay

15. lg8600fan

lg8600fan New Member

Thanks - I was PO'd when they gave me this phone.I keep showing up at Alltel - not happy! See my 1st post

http://forums.wirelessadvisor.com/alltel-users/69221-horrible-service-alltel-should-i-just.html
    Not sure if that will work? If not - -Alltel - Horrible service should I jump ship? was the post.

This situation is the pitts! I keep going back in my mind to the day I bought it - I wanted the Krazor but the sales rep talked me into the 8600. Stupid me!

Anyways thanks a lot I value everyones help - just wish I knew WHAT SHE DID!

16. Jay2TheRescue

My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    Personally I'm suprised she hasn't just told you what she's doing just so you would leave her alone and stop coming in.

-Jay

17. strunke

strunke .:|Always Covered|:.

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8230, KRZR K1m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel, T-Mobile, Sprint, Centennial
    Yeah Moto would be a better choice for your situation. But, I don't know what she could be typing in that would have an affect.

You are power cycling the phone at least every other day or so?

You could dial *228 then option 3 to re-OTA program the phone. Or option 2 to update the PRL file.

You could also try and disable EVDO, not sure if this will really help. Do you use data very much? Any large picture/vid messaging or using phones internal browser?

menu + 0 + 000000

Then Data

Then Mode (Auto/1X)

Then set to 1x only.

Again not sure if this will work.

18. lg8600fan

lg8600fan New Member

I know - that was my goal! Either tell me what you are doing or let me pay the difference on the moto - I thought/think they may give in one day! I just hope this new phone works I am getting tired of it all - in my attempts to break them down I am breaking myself down:D

FYI - I have been friendly - not mean at all:cool:

I tried turning off the EVDO - didn't help. Thanks though.

19. Cbob105

Cbob105 New Member

My Phone:
    LG Scoop
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel,Verizon
    I had the E815 for a long time and my LG 8600 performed much better in my Area. I had a V710 before that and the analog would go every now and then in different areas. In Virginia Verizon and Alltel's Analog has been turned off But US Cellular still has theirs still up. Alltel is probley still the best in Virginia Due to the fact that Verizon dosent cover here well.

20. bikebryan

bikebryan Senior Member

That depends WHERE in VA you are talking about. I can pretty much assure you your statment is NOT the case in NoVa. There is no Alltel there.

21. UFO

UFO Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Palm Centro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint and alltel
    Well, where in VA does have a ton to do with it...
    Alltel free roams on Sprint/Verizon in NOVA, Blacksburg, and the Roanoke Valley.
    Verizon free roams on Alltel/USCC in Charlottesville, Lynchburg, and a few other counties in Southwest and Southside, VA.
    Sprint is absent in most rural areas, and in Charlottesville and further west doesn't run their own network because it's ran by nTelos and iPCS close to the Tri-Cities.
    At&t is actually probably the only provider with statewide licenses since buying SunCom, but being PCS everywhere outside of NOVA has really restricted their network to highly populated areas, interstates, and highways in much of the state, with no other GSM provider to fall back on in these areas.

So if we're going to say there is a 'best provider of VA' they're still going to have some shortcomings somewhere in the state! :p:D I just went with the one that's best for me! :)

But good luck with the new phone lg8600. Every phone manufacturer seems to make good ones and lemons. I was very happy with my E815 and it seemed to do a little better than my LG AX380. Hopefully you'll experience better luck this time around.

22. strunke

strunke .:|Always Covered|:.

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8230, KRZR K1m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel, T-Mobile, Sprint, Centennial
    Well T-mobile bought suncom not at&t :) But yeah the E815 out does the 8600 and the ax380 wave. If someone says otherwise either a. there e815 is broken. or b. they don't know what they are talking about.

23. Jay2TheRescue

My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    Cingular(AT&T) took SunCom's Virginia customers, towers and bandwidth a few years ago. TMO took what was left of SunCom some time later.

-Jay

24. treotosh

treotosh Junior Member

My Phone:
    Palm Treo 750
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular/At&t
    I wonder where T-mobile got the money to buy out SunCom, because T-mobile stocks are down.:O Not that i don't like T-mobile it's just because they can't work in lots of places.

25. Jay2TheRescue

My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    Well, first of all, with the depressed dollar It is cheaper for a European carrier to buy. Plus, TMO may be down, but Suncom's stock was beaten up much worse. Besides, purchasing Suncom gave TMO spectrum in NC, something that they needed badly.

-Jay

1 person likes this.
  26. treotosh

treotosh Junior Member

My Phone:
    Palm Treo 750
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular/At&t
    I believe it, T-mobile has to take every chance they have which is why i think they say there JD POWERED to help boost there service.

27. spleck

spleck Tool

My Phone:
    iPhone 5 VZW
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Was Thurday the first time you powercycled the phone since it had been working?

How's the new phone working out?

28. M in LA

M in LA Mobile 27 Years Plus

My Phone:
    iPhone 12 Pro Max, XS Max
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    Deutche Telecom, T-Mobile's parent. They've got money to burn.

29. lg8600fan

lg8600fan New Member

Ok the new phone worked great for 10 days now it is drpping calls - what the heck am I doing wrong. I was careful not to alter anything (ringtones ect..) are these phones just junk?

30. cheddar

cheddar Senior Member

It's possible that you're stuck in a bad batch of phones. Every time they give you a new one, it is from the same batch of problem phones. I'd take it back again. Keep pressing them. Make sure they understand how many times it has been replaced, ask to speak with supervisors, etc. Eventually they should offer to give you a different phone just to make you go away.