Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

SOUTH U.S. -- what can I do to increase my download on my data card

Discussion in 'Alltel Forum' started by butch375, Apr 21, 2011.

1. butch375

butch375 New Member

I have an alltel air card (DCP UM185 Data Card) connected to my desk top computer.
    I live in the country where there is a alltel tower about 7 miles away. I get a -90 on the signal strength. The down load is slow. Will an outside antenna boost my download speed. and if it wil is there an antenna you think will do the job. I want to be able to down load music vidoes without it stopping a hundred times.
    Thank for your help
    butch375

2. butch375

butch375 New Member

I should correct the model of my air card. it is a PCD UM185 Data Card.
    Sorry
    Butch375

3. COtech

COtech Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sam. Galaxy SII Skyrocket
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T Mobility
    With a higher signal strength, you should get a higher data rate. Of course, there is a maximum you won't exceed, the best that 1xRTT can do 400-700 kbps. See this older thread. EVDO could be much faster.

You'll something like this adapter which gets you to a more standard antenna connector, FME (TNC is also good). Then something like this Yagi. This seller can provide the right adapter, your UM185 radio is a Pantech?

COtech

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...