Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

What can be done about MCI wireless?

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by Guest, Dec 2, 2001.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

I'll try to make this quick and brief...

To make a long story short, here is where I am currently with MCI wireless,

-I have no phone service, my # has been suspened/turned off 3 different times because of errornous
    roaming charges ($1300 for the first 2 months while on a $39.99 plan) and I am still waiting to receive my roaming credit and on top of that my bills have not come yet(5 months and counting).

There are tons of horror stories like mine (others are much worse!) that I have read on www.planetfeedback.com if you go to the "shared letters" page and search for MCI wireless. I never knew so many people are furious with this company and I can understand why.

What steps do I have to take for MCI wireless to show me results? There are so many people getting ripped off, customer reps being rude, being placed on hold for hours on end only to be redirected to other depts., promises never furfilled...

I personally want to terminate my service with nofee and for me to settle accounts with them.

Should I call my congressman, senator, better business bureau, consumer protection, my lawer?
    I seriously think these issues with MCI needs to be addressed in a large public arena, such as a huge lawsuit, media exposure, or other serious means...

I would love some feedback and suggestions in what I can do.

2. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
  3. Untitled1

Untitled1 New Member

I refuse to do any business with MCI whether it be Wireless, Local, or Long Distance service. They have no clue what their doing and there is always a guarantee of a screw-up!

4. Guest

Guest Guest

i have been trying to get out of my contract with mci on my 2 cell phones. no one seems to know what is going on. even my sales rep can do nothing. i have contacted bbb, attorney general office and federal communication commissioner. they will send me forms to fill out. i refuse to pay 4oo dollars to get out of my contracts when my contract says one plan and my bill states another plan. this is a nightmare. email me if you get any response to them. you can not get through to the 800 number to even cancel the lines. we need to do a class action suit as a group

barbara from new castle, pa

5. Guest

Guest Guest

they are a nightmare. contact the attorney general, the BBB, federal comm commissioner. they will senf you forms. a class action suit is the best thing. i have been trying to get out of these contracts, the 800 number is impossible to get through. i fefuse to pay them one cent. how can they continue to misrepresent and take these people for a ride.TextText

6. CellguyNY

CellguyNY Junior Member

MCI Worldcom the nightmare? Definetly so they have problems with billing most of all and have a under achieving staff with them who doesn't know there right hand from there left hand which is not good to say the least. They tend to license other compnays phones mostly verizon and AT&T which if you want these phones just go with the original companys. MCI in the wireless world most likely wont last too long so just bare with them for now.

7. Bam6111

Bam6111 New Member

Dear Anonymous User,

This is a nightmare, I have MCI Worldcom. My contract says 450 minutes plus 1000 nights and weekends. They say now that there is no such plan. I am charged for roaming and long distance calls in my local area which is bazaar. I along with 35 other people in my city were given long distance numbers for our local area, which is New Castle. I can't seem to get this resolved. My sales rep said that there is nothing that he can do. I have contaced the attorney general, the BBB, and the Federal Comunication commisioner at 1-888-225-5322. I want to terminate my service with no fees. I have 2 lines and they want to charge me $200.00 per line. I have contacted my lawyer and 48 Hours at cbs by email. I am waiting for a response. Email me if you hear any news. My email address is bam6111@aol.com.
    Thank You,
    Barbara

8. KevinJames

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    Bam6111 (Barbara):

From what you describe, it sounds as if the carrier WorldCom put you on was Sprint. They are the only ones I know of that would charge roaming in your home area.

9. Guest

Guest Guest

I contacted 48 hours on cbs and my next step is wayne van dine, the consumer advocate for the news. I tend to do something. don't whimp out

10. hobojim

hobojim New Member

Hello,

Just joined this forum. I was referred to by some review
    in epinions.

I too am currently in a dispute with MCI. I has two plans with them last year and I called in Jan '01 to cancel both plans. They only cancelled one of the plans and are trying to bill for for the other one which I thought was cancelled but was not.

I spoke to their customer service dept and they said they don't have any records that I may the request to cancel. My question is: do I bear the burden of proof in this case or do they bear that burden?

Thanks

11. KevinJames

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    Hi HoboJim and welcome,

Unfortunately, we aren't lawyers here (well, DiverDown hopes to be a lawyer some day, but that's another point).

What I would have done is reason with them: "Why would I cancel only one service when the whole reason for my cancelling was dissatisfaction with your service."

As has been noted here on more than one occassion, the FCC is the government watchdog for wireless companies.

12. hobojim

hobojim New Member

I was just thinking of paying the $148 they said I "owed" them. If fight this thing is going have to force me to constantly call their customer service dept, wait for 20-30 minutes to speak to someone who can't help me and then get redirected to another dept to wait for someone for 20-30 minutes again to tell me that they can't do anything, I would rather pay it and get on with my life. I really don't want this to be the focus of my life.

My problem really is not the money but I don't get the sense that anyone at MCI is going to genuinely try to help me out.

Is there an consumer advocacy group which can help people in my situation?

13. CellguyNY

CellguyNY Junior Member

I see everyone has constant issues with worldcom wireless aka MCI. It seems to me there is never anything good to say about them. My only warning to the connsumers who are thinking of buying MCI is "Buyer Beware and trust in the people in this forum the fact that MCI has constant billing problems is not a joke and they have this thing with billing you for every six months most dealers in the NY area are dropping there service including mine next month and the fact of the matter is they just stink. MCI should get out of the business because i have not met one customer who was wanting and able to defend them.
    Good luck Hobojim and Bam with the lawsuits were all cheering you on.

CellGuyNY

14. GJMOO7

GJMOO7 Junior Member

My Phone:
    IPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Mci wireless is NOT i repeat NOT a wireless carrier.MCI is
    a reseller for verizon wireless.MCI buys thousands of phone
    numbers from verizon,then they sign up people for the service.
    MCI sends out the invoice which they get from verizon even
    though the invoice says MCI on it.They do not tell any of
    their customers that they will be on the verizon wireless network.So,if there is a problem with the service,it is not MCI'S FAULT.However,MCI has to take the responsibilty since
    they send out the monthly invoices.MCI only provides longdistance calls.

15. KevinJames

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
  16. ComicalMoodyDan

ComicalMoodyDan Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Well where I live MCI doesn't have wireless service and from what I hear about them on here and read on epinions.com I have to say I'm glad I don't. It seems like to me MCI at least ought to say something in there advertisemeants to let you know its not there own network maybe like MCI Wireless powered by Verizon or something simailar to that, at least that way they would know what network they are really using and know what to expect maybe.

17. ComicalMoodyDan

ComicalMoodyDan Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    On a lighter note I changed my icon (Christmas is over hehe) and put in a profile that is visible now. Hope you guys like the little change :)

18. Guest

Guest Guest

mci is just a reseller. verizon has no access to billing data for the mci customers.

tech isues can be viewed but not changed. they have their own customer service and billing

19. Guest

Guest Guest

my sales reps an outside agent for mci in the pittsburgh area. he sold 50 phones in a day making up his own phone plans as he pleased. nothing was true as to what the agreememt or contract stated. there are no such plans as we later found out from the billing dept. we were railroaded, lied, scammed with a fraudulent plan. he is sitting back and laughing at us as his hands are tied. how big of a profit did he make for selling all those plans? Or was he misled and lied to by his big boss? I am waiting for a response from the fed comm commissioner and the better business bureau. If you havenotdonesoconsult them. it's a lot of paper work but you will get action. I thin k we should file for a class action suit. i have spoken to 2 attornies. we will get action. who do we sue? Our sales rep who sold us the fraudulent plan or the carrier?

20. KevinJames

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    The most you will probably get out of this is: service cancellation without penalty fee.

IF you got the so-called terms in writing (so that it is more than just your word against his), you might be able to get the retailer on false advertising.

21. SweetBoXx

SweetBoXx Junior Member

I have never ever had a problem with MCI never any erronious charges I pay the monthly charge thats it....I never go over my limit anyway. I have had excellent service with them and I just upgraded my service to 350 minutes and 3500 minutes for 35.00 a month. Never had a problem; customer service always nice, although they did keep you holding for a bit on the phone , they were helpful and did answer my questions. And I have never been redirected to other departments

22. SweetBoXx

SweetBoXx Junior Member

When I first got my contract from the Wireless Cell phone dealer, he said I was getting the contract from Verizon. When I got my bill, it was fron MCI. I called him and he said MCI bills for Verizon. Thats bullhit I told him. Well he took me over because He told me he sold be 2000 minutes weekend and 200 weekday minutes, and when I called MCI, I only had 200 minutes weekday!! He wrote my contract up to read 200/2000 too. When I confronted him, he tried to weasel out of it. I was able to get MCI to give me the 2000 minutes, but I got the dealer in trouble, not only for the lie about the minutes but the lie about the Verizon deal. I also called Verizon who said they don't deal that way with Beepers Etc Cell Phones, who sold me the phone. Neverthless, I have not had any trouble from MCI . They did have a problem when they were converting to a new billing system and we didnt get bills for months then got bills for 4 months worth, buth that was all straightened out, and the bills come like clockwork now. I never owe anything because I never really use the phone except for long distance and emergencies.

Im sorry if everyone is having such a hard time of it with MCI. I hope that my experiences with them don't turn that way in the future.

23. Guest

Guest Guest

I complained to the FCC and got 3 calls from MCI to "fix" the problems!!! Try this # 866-297-5902

24. Wayne

Wayne Senior Member

MCI......................................... I say it once and I say it agian MCI stands for:

M: Most
    C: Complaints
    I: Inc

[​IMG]

25. Apoc

Apoc Senior Member

Send them down the pool to drowned my belief I really despise this company!!

26. Jack

Jack Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    LOL wayne I agree

Jack

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...