Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

What are these random data charges on our Verizon call list?

Discussion in 'Verizon Wireless Forum' started by rockluvr1988, Sep 6, 2009.

1. rockluvr1988

rockluvr1988 Junior Member

My Phone:
    LG 260 The Scoop
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I downloaded all of out calls to an excel spreadsheet because I was trying to figure out how many minutes we need when we switch carriers. I noticed that at random times during the day it charges us a minute for data. At first I thought this might be a picture message coming through, but then I noticed some at 2am when the phone was on but no messages were coming through at all. It also happens on the call list for my Dad's line. He only uses the phone as a phone. He doesn't know how to text at all let alone picture message.

Anyone have an idea what it could be? Here's a screen shot of the excel spreadsheet.

[​IMG]

2. Kalimotxo

Kalimotxo Bronze Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    The latest and greatest.
    Wireless Provider(s):
    All of them.
    It's most likely the wireless backup feature (it's "free" from vzw and it backs up important items such as contacts).

I recently noticed the issue on several of my lines... I started getting charged 1.99 per line for 1MB of usage. After a "heated" call with VZW's Customer Service, they refunded the charges.

Many people are reporting this same problem:

Refunds: Is Verizon Randomly Charging You $1.99 Per Line For "Data Usage"?

3. rockluvr1988

My Phone:
    LG 260 The Scoop
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    They are not charging any data for it. It is just using our min 1-2 at a time. And we do not have the wireless backup feature that I know of. We were grandfathered in from Alltel. But its using a good 60-80 min each month of our anytime min.

4. bikebryan

bikebryan Senior Member

VZW and Alltel plans treat data differently. Alltel plans will bill data for minutes used, just like phone calls, following the same rules as phone calls as to when they count against minute allowance and when they don't.

VZW plans, and VZW phones on alltel plans, charge data at 1.99/mb. They don't assess minutes.

Here's the fun part: nobody can tell you WHAT the phone was being used for. However, I can tell you this: if you accidentally hit the mobile web button or Get it Now/Media center on a VZW phone (or their corresponding counterparts on an Alltel phone) you have just used data, even if you immediately cancel it.

Text messaging has never counted as data. Picture/Vid did with Alltel, and do with VZW unless you have a text/pix/flix package.

5. ASUJenL

ASUJenL New Member

It is because Verizon Wireless is out to rip you for everything you are worth. BEWARE!!!!! They will also port your number out and continue to charge you for it, even though you have no use of Verizon Services. NOT EVEN FOR 911 CALLS!!!! Then they will tell you that your "terms and conditions" say that you have to pay, when you have never signed a contract with them. They will tell you the phone number still belonged to them even though T-Mobile had full ownership of that number. They are money hungry and will slip any fee possible by you. But if you call they will promise you a refund of mistaken fees and then 2 months later tell you that you actually aren't getting any refund. You need to take refuge and get from under Verizon. Alltel was a great company and Verizon sucks. GET OUT BEFORE THEY RIP YOU OF ANYTHING ELSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. rockluvr1988

My Phone:
    LG 260 The Scoop
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Whoa! Ok. We are getting out we are leaving and going to another company because we are not happy with Verizon.