Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

what are my options for a smartphone without smartchoice plan?

Discussion in 'Alltel Forum' started by selland74, Apr 12, 2009.

1. selland74

selland74 New Member

hello,

new to the forum. I've searched for this topic but havent come up with much. basically i want a phone that i can use as a pda without having to upgrade to smartchoice plan. i am on a family plan and its not really feasible for all of us to upgrade to smartchoice. i am pretty much the only one that uses features other than calling.

from what i have read i take it that blackberry is out of the question, but is it possible to purchase a phone such as a treo and have it activated under the normal plan? i also have message pack 3 which includes unlimited texts and moblie web. would it be possible to use mobile web in this situation?

I have been looking at the treo 700wx. this phone looks like it has all the features i would like. is this doable? if not what other devices could i use?

what are your suggestions? thank you

2. dmwagner

dmwagner New Member

Yea, they won't sell you a PDA at the discounted price without a SmartChoice pack. One thing about it, I would find my 6800 pretty much useless without the data plan.

You can get the Smartchoice 500 for $69.99 a month which has unlimitted data and 500 voice, that's the option I went with. I was on a plan with my family paying my share of the bill at around $30 a month and sharing 1200 minutes, but like you, I wanted a PDA. I could never go back to a normal phone now 1.5yrs later.

3. MrObvious

MrObvious Senior Member

I would get the Diamond. Palms siuck.

4. selland74

selland74 New Member

right now i have the simple mobile web (access web? not sure what the name of it is)on my flip phone. is it possible to use this on a smartphone?

5. MrObvious

MrObvious Senior Member

Really the reason they want you to use the Smart Choice is because you are buying a phone that is worth a lot and they take a loss when you sign the contract and recoup it in the month to month costs. But if you buy a phone outright they wouldn't take a loss nor make a nice profit (or commission for the sales person) for the phone. That's the reason they will even lie and say you can't do this, but truthfully it could be done as simply as an ESN change.

Now if you want to just keep your plan, yes you can use the same Internet because it's the same technology.

6. strunke

strunke .:|Always Covered|:.

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8230, KRZR K1m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel, T-Mobile, Sprint, Centennial
    They only way you can use a smartphone or BB without smart choice is to buy it at retail price (no contract), or used , or off eBay. They you would have them add it on. Make sure you inform them that you bought it outside of a contract, then add the 29.99 data feature or the 44.99 Blackberry data feature.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. dmwagner

dmwagner New Member

Is there any savings in adding the $29.99 data feature to a voice plan in place of selecting a Smartchoice plan?

I went through this with my salesman back when I got my PDA phone. If I put that PDA on the family plan, it was going to have to go on as the primary phone regardless how I bought it and everyone else would be bumped up to $20 a phone instead of $10. My sales man also said that they don't make much on the phone sale, this was at a 3rd party Mom and Pop shop and not directly from Alltel though.

8. MrObvious

MrObvious Senior Member

Yeah they make money selling the plan so if you do the Smart Choice they could probably cut you a deal that is better.

9. Buckwheet

Buckwheet New Member

I went from a Razr to a Q9c. I still have just the service pack 1, no smartchoice. I bought my Q off of ebay, then called Alltel and had them activate it. I did not change my plan at all, I have had no problems, I have had the Q for about a year now. With the 4 other phones on my plan, it was going to cost me about $70.00 a month more to go with the smartchoice plan. I figured the $200.00 I paid for my Q outright was cheaper in the long run.