Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

What about Cingular?

Discussion in 'Western US Wireless Forum' started by jbradle02, Nov 12, 2001.

1. jbradle02

jbradle02 New Member

I am absolutely fed up with my AT&T wireless service. I live and work in Oakland (near 580 and 13) and my service is pitiful at best. I travel mostly in East Bay and also into Silicon Valley. There are some many deadspots with AT&T service that it's impossible to hold a conversation for more than a few minutes without it being cut off.

I am considering switching to Cingular - can anyone comment on their coverage in the Bay Area?

2. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    I would seriously consider changing phones before you do that. I have had ATT service since 1994 (back when it was CellularOne) and have never experienced the problems you mention. (I live in Tracy and travel the areas you mentioned frequently.)

Cingular is a good company, but they are still growing their network and only have coverage near the major highways. Service to most residential areas does not exist.

If you need further info or help, feel free to write me directly (yoda2u@ureach.com)

Kevin

3. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Isn't the Bay area just a really tough area to get good coverage with most carriers? That's what I've always heard. Kind of similar to San Diego county.

4. KevinJames

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    Hi Larry, I don't think we corresponded in a while. Good to hear from you.

The Bay Area, with its beautiful rolling hills, indeed has been a tough area for carriers to cover. Within the past few years ATT, Verizon and Cingular have made strides in expanding coverage. The Altamont (a range of high-hills, or mountain-wanna-be) used to be a dead zone for all carriers. I can now talk during the whole drive (daily commute). This goes for ATT, Cingular and Verizon (from experience). Chances are it may also go for Sprint due to it AMPS roaming agreement with Verizon.

I really wish Verizon could have worked out for me. They really blew it on my service. I just bought a Panasonic Allure on ATT and so far I like it. The ear-piece sounds a bit tinny, but the voice-dialing works great. Some of the other features a just too much "glitz" (gratuitous graphics and sounds), but it seems to be what draws the younger crowd. I would have preferred some PDA functionality--heaven knows the screen is big enough for it.

Kevin

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Kevin

Thanks for your insight. I am still wondering what I'll do - I'll consider your suggestion about a new phone (mine is a Nokia several years old).

Mike

6. lagreca

lagreca New Member

I just switched from Cingular to ATT. I can't explain to you just how bad Cingular is. They have really oversold their network, so receiving and making phones calls is almost impossible during peak periods. Not only that, but their coverage is minimal, and at best only on major highways. There are many deadspots compared to ATT. The overselling of their network is really their worst problem. Customers weren't able to get through to me throughout the day, and I wasn't able to make phone calls during my offpeak time. It would sometimes take 20 minutes of redialing just to complete 1 phone call. If you need to change wireless providers, and don't want to go with ATT, I think Verizon is a good second choice. Good luck.

Joe

7. Guest

Guest Guest

Joe

thanks.. have you heard anything about Worldcom Wireless?

Mike

8. lagreca

lagreca New Member

As far as I know, MCI Worldcom doesn't own their own cellular network. They resell for verizon, so you would be using Verizons network. My opionion is that it would be better to buy the service from Verizon than go through a middle man. Just my two cents.

9. Guest

Guest Guest

WORLDCOM has horrible customer service, I am presently involved in a billing issue for the last 3 months. If you like sitting "on hold" for up to 2 hours and 59 minutes and than being disconnected - go with WorldCom. I WILL NEVER GO WITH THEM AGAIN. check out the forum for the title MCI/WorldCom - I started a topic on just them, not much feedback but good info.
    I use to have ATT and loved it -left for a better deal! WOW the old saying of you get what you pay for has never been more true. It goes for phones also.

Good Luck

10. Rich

Rich Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    BlackBerry® Style™ 9670 s
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint- AT&t
    You might want to consider Nextel, I've had great experiences with them in the bay area...please see my thread titled " Nextel's current web promotions" and " Nextel's smallest phone yet" if you haven't already..? The nice thing about Nextel is they have their own "unique" network so other companies, ie....Cingular, Verizon and At&t can't use thier network. Therefor you won't encounter overcrowed tower's during peak and off peak times. Cons, the only thing I can honestly say about Nextel is you can't roam with them, it's either their service or no service at all. Which I don't mind at all beacuse that eliminate's the possibility of ever accumulating roaming charges.... besides, I all always have service with them wherever I go ( and I travel alot ) but, I pay for digital service not analog and Nextel is aggressively expanding their coverage everyday, just like Sprint. Nextel has more ways to communicate than any other service provider and they've recently change their plan's to cater to the personal user now.Well I hope this helps some....Good luck, Rich

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. Guest

Guest Guest

DON'T DO IT! I've had Cingular for nearly a year--my contract expires this month and I won't renew it. I've actually written the CPUC about these guys and their fraudulent billing practices (charging you twice; juggling when your calls will appear on a statement in order to zing you for additional charges; etc.). Cingular's response to my complaints? Why, cutting off my phone service, of course--even when my payments were current.

12. KevinJames

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    To the anonymous poster of 12/2:

To my knowledge, wireless service is not considered a public utility (and therefore not under the jurisdiction of the Public Utilities Commission). However, the FCC does have jurisdiction.

This is the first time I've heard of a billing error like the one you mention and the implication that Cingular retaliated to your complaint by disconnecting the line is admittedly hard to believe. I had Cingular (in California) service for several years and never noticed even the smallest billing error. My only concern with them as a provider is that they have yet to build out their network more so that it covers more than just the major highways and large cities.

From my experience in dealing with wireless firms, I would like to suggest you go to a company-owned retail outlet and see if they can help you.

13. cantuSFcomedy

cantuSFcomedy New Member

Gee,
    I was looking at a Cingular plan. And these negative comments bothered me so I went to their site, to email a couple of questions.

None of their 'contact us' and email us buttons work so they must have been getting a torrent of negative emails and turned it off.

Thanks for the heads up.

Cantu
    Humorist, humor writer, humor coach
    humormall.com

14. Uwdsr

Uwdsr Member

Read my "Cingular is a disgrace" post on the Midwest forum. Enough said.

15. Guest

Guest Guest

CINGULAR SUCKS
    big time. They have the worst customer service they don't know much about their own company. Ask them a question and you are on hold for an hour while they "huddle" together to figure it out. Their webpage rarely works. I just paid $150 to get out of their contract. Nothing would ever bring me back... seriously...nothing

16. Guest

Guest Guest

Rich
    i think i am going to take your advice..i've got a pretty good promo offer from them right now.

anyone else can comment on Nextel?

17. Guest

Guest Guest

I have had Nextel for the past year and a half through my employer. The network has so many holes in it that you will constantly be dropping calls. I have hated it from the day the phone was handed to me by my boss. Prior to that I was using Cingular (PacBell Wireless) and had great reception throughout the Bay Area. I have offered to provide my own cellular service if my company will take this piece of crap back.

18. ComicalMoodyDan

ComicalMoodyDan Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
  19. KevinJames

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    TNDan,

Having been a business subscriber, and knowning someone that worked in the accounting dept (a relative), Cingular apparently has two problems:

1. They are new. This is neither good or bad, it is just that because they are new, they have yet to build out their network beyond major highways and densely populated cities (metro areas).

2. Their billing system needs refining. Apparently SBC realized this because they recently moved accounting out of state.

Kevin

20. ComicalMoodyDan

ComicalMoodyDan Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    I use to be a former customer of them in East TN Kevin before they was Cingular they use to be BellSouth Mobility DCS. Just like California the network is GSM around here and I have to say it wasn't that bad coverage was pretty solid outdoors it however was a little weak sometimes indoors and coverage in southwest VA was kinda poor. I remember though I traveled a couple of times with my granny to Knoxville and straight from Kingsport to Knoxville my phone picked up a conisent Digital signal on there network. There was some places that my phone picked up where my granny's analog only phone at the time would not so overall I was impressed with there coverage and thats been a while I am assuming by now there coverage has even improved more. I cancelled my service before it became Cingular though because of a poor fincanicial shape but I would consider going with Cingular Wireless in my area if they are anything like the former BellSouth DCS. The only problem I have with Cingular is there network right they really need to pull it together with one standard technology instead of having a GSM and TDMA network that is incompatible with the other but they are working on that now. Cingular Wireless is coverting all of there network to GSM by I believe 2004 is that right Kevin? I am sure coverage wise it will be a much better provider by then.