Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

what about AT&T's Nokia 8260?

Discussion in 'NOKIA' started by Guest, Oct 4, 2001.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

What about AT&T's Nokia 8260 mobile phone? How does this phone rate for reception, voice quality, etc....?

2. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    If you are primarily in an area having good reception (major cities), it works fine outside and in autos. However, because of the internal antenna, reception is not as good as phones that have external antennas.

Being a TDMA phone, for the most part the 8260 is found in AT&T Wireless markets (and affiliates such as SunCom). From what I hear, New York is considered one of ATT's less optimal markets (and that is being extremely kind). In Northern California, I see teens and those that think they are part of the "in" crowd carrying those phones.

I had the 8290 (Cingular) for about a year. I used it from Stockton to San Francisco. As long as I was on the freeway or outside it was fine. Inside several business buildings I was doing the voodoo dance trying to get signal.

As a service provider, ATT has been very good to me (7 years).

See my website for more detail (view my profile).

-Kev

3. Leah

Leah Junior Member

Hey Anonyomous,

I have an 8260, and I love mine. The size is great! Kevin is right though, if you are in an area offering poor reception, you probably want to avoid this phone....

A lot of people have a hard time holding it though, because it is so small...they want to cover the antenna as they talk. Have to be careful in that aspect. If youve got large hands, you probably wont like it, that seems to be the general opinion of my customers anyway....

Personally, it does good by me! =)

4. Guest

Guest Guest

I recently took my 8260 (service with AT&T) on a western vacation. I also took my older 5160 (service with Cingular) to compare. In Denver, AT&T has their own service and that worked great. When I went into Wyoming, South Dakota, and Montana, I was very pleased with the performance of the 8260. Whenever I compared the 5160 with the 8260, the signal strength and performance was usually the same. In fact, there were two instances where the 8260 actually worked better. Since most of the cell sites in the west tend to be near the interstate highways, my opinion is that it doesn't make too much difference on the phone's performance there. If you are interested in a small phone, the 8260 is a great choice.

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Would agree with the issue if you have large hands. Generally good service particularly in major cities. Phone does get extremely warm if you talk continuously on it for 60+ minutes. Standby and talk time are excellent and last as long as guidelines state. Great phone if size is key - it actually took me several months not to occasionally panic that I had lost it when it was just kept within my pants pocket.
    However, mine packed in after 13 months, typical that happens just outside the manufacturers warranty period! :(

6. CellguyNY

CellguyNY Junior Member

That is upsetting for your 8260 the thing is that the phone i believe was made to small and thats why for people with bigger hands the 3360 was created and i happen to think it works better i would suggest doing a comparison of the 33 and the 82 and you will see a difference in signal strength in that the 33 tends to have great signal strength and in what is a stronger internal antennae. It might be bigger but it does the job better than the 82 i believe any way it happened to gain strength for me outside the NYC area (33) while the 82 died out a little and lost reception, but good luck with your next phone :)

CellguyNY

7. sunsun

sunsun Junior Member

Hi!
    It is very interesting that you sugguest the 3360 has a better reception
    than the 8260. I would like to get the 8260 however i need one with a
    stronger reception. Is it a big difference?
    Thanks

8. zippy

zippy New Member

After far too much debate and research through these pages and links, I finally settled on a AT&T Wireless Shared Advantage plan and two Nokia 8260's for my wife & myself.

We've had the phones and service for a couple weeks now and have been very happy.

The phones ARE very small, but we like that - very portable. We both have small hands, so don't see the small size as a liability. Because of the little buttons, I don't think I'd make calls from a moving car (not really a good idea anyway).

The keys have enough "action" to tell when their pushed. The 3360 keys seemed kind of "mushy" - didn't feel like you knew if you really pushed them or not.

Menus and ease of use are quite straight forward to my way of thinking. Enough features - but not complete overload.

I'm very glad the phone has a vibrate feature - quite good in meetings and movies.

I'm a big fan of SMS messaging too.. very convinient occasionally.

Reception etc. has been very good, but have stayed within our shared zone of Minneapolis-St. Paul almost exclusively to this point. A couple long distance calls sounded great.

After receiving the Ringtone for the phone in the movie "Our Man Flint", it really feels like MY PHONE now.

Wouldn't give it up.