Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Weird Microwave Tower

Discussion in 'Cell Tower Hunting Club' started by nKrypteD1, Oct 6, 2006.

1. nKrypteD1

nKrypteD1 Software Architect

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Motorola Droid X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I spotted this tower outside of Pierceton, IN, I'm uploading here because it's not quality enough to upload to the gallery, but if anybody can explain to me why the double structure I'll be greatful.

Attached Files:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. JFB

JFB Gold Senior Member
    Administrator Super Moderator

My Phone:
    Essential PH-1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Simple Mobile (T-Mobile MVNO)
    It is hard to tell from the picture if there are antennas on it. Did you see antennas? Is there an airport close to this?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. nKrypteD1

My Phone:
    Motorola Droid X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon

I couldn't really tell, it's possible in the cross section on the very top, no there's no airport near there, this is literally in the middle of a field in the middle of nowhere. I'll be going back by there in the not so distant future, I'll get some better shots then, these two pics were taken from the road. I asked an acquiantance in the area about the tower, the only thing he knew about it was that someone died 2 or 3 years ago there while repainting the tower.

Upon searching on general cell phone towers:

Antenna Structure
    Structure Type: Free standing or guyed structure

Street: 5608 S County Rd.
    City, State: Pierceton, IN

Height
    Overall Height Above Ground: 94.5 m
    Overall Height Above Ground w/o Appurtenances: 91.4 m
    Elevation of Site Above Mean Sea Level: 283.8 m
    Overall Height Above Mean Sea Level: 378.3 m

Information
    Owner: Aat Communciations Corp.
    Attention To: Robert L. Robeski
    517 Rt. One South, Suite 5000
    P.O. Box
    Iselin, NJ 08830

Aat has apparently been acquired by SBA. Gonna dig a bit deeper if I can find out who leases space on the tower. I mean I could understand a large guyed structure in a residential area or an urban area, this is out at least 5 miles from the closest town I know of and in the middle of nowhere, I saw several microwave "dishes" on the tower so I'm guessing it's local carriers (land based)

4. nKrypteD1

My Phone:
    Motorola Droid X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Ok did a bit more digging, no information about what the tower is used for but the pdf has a better picture. There are definetly rf antenna's on top of the tower.

Attached Files:

5. wirles

wirles I'm baaaaaaaaaack

My Phone:
    iPhone 4S
    Wireless Provider(s):
    All of the above
    Lol, I know that site. It and many others like it across the nation are old government sites. It was a special structural design. I used tpo have a link for more info on them, but I can not find it.

6. nKrypteD1

My Phone:
    Motorola Droid X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Wonder if it isn't for air traffic (air force) etc etc.

7. wirles

wirles I'm baaaaaaaaaack

My Phone:
    iPhone 4S
    Wireless Provider(s):
    All of the above
    Sort of. Many of them were part of the MARS system back in the day, but have primarily been decomm'ed for years.

8. nKrypteD1

My Phone:
    Motorola Droid X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Well I can only image by the fact that SBA owns that tower now that it's been decomm'ed and bought up by the private sector.

9. wirles

wirles I'm baaaaaaaaaack

My Phone:
    iPhone 4S
    Wireless Provider(s):
    All of the above
    IIRC they were on the market about 6 years ago and ATC got some along with SBA. The coolest site is in Northen Jersey.

10. nKrypteD1

My Phone:
    Motorola Droid X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I wish I had an actual digi cam so I could get some decent pics of that tower up, I'll try again with my phone but it's 1.3mp so yeah that says it all.

11. JFB

JFB Gold Senior Member
    Administrator Super Moderator

My Phone:
    Essential PH-1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Simple Mobile (T-Mobile MVNO)
    Do you know what town that one is in? Maybe someone here can snag a picture of it.

12. Jonathan Kramer

Jonathan Kramer Telecom Atty/RF Engr.

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 4s
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless (as of 8/13/08)
    It's relatively common to see "H-Frame" towers (two towers with a cross-arm, like here) to support multiple omni-antennas, J-pole antennas, and the like. You don't usually see microwave antennas on the cross-arm because of twisting that could misalign the path at various times.

=Jonathan=

13. nKrypteD1

My Phone:
    Motorola Droid X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I'm not in the industry and have mostly only travelled along the eastern seabord so this is probably not surprising, but this is the first time I've seen an "H" structure.

There are better pictures that I took a while ago, http://gallery.wirelessadvisor.com/showimage.php?i=2885&c=18 .

JFB in regards to the location, it's south of Pierceton, IN on IN 13, about 3 miles outside of town, just off the highway and sitting on leased farm land, I'm not sure about the property owners so I took that photo from the road. Anybody more adventurous than I is more than welcome to try.

14. MOTOhooligan

MOTOhooligan Former Mobile Data Addict

My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Hmmm... that's interesting. Is MARS still active and some of the antennas are decommissioned or is the whole program decommisioned?

15. wirles

wirles I'm baaaaaaaaaack

My Phone:
    iPhone 4S
    Wireless Provider(s):
    All of the above
    The Military Affiliate Radio System is just as active today as it ever was. Morale and welfare messages are no longer the largest activity in MARS due to the increased use of the internet and e-mail by deployed military personnel. MARS now has an increased role in providing interoperability communications between Army National Guard and Air National Guard forces and civilian state agencies. MARS also provides beta testing of new technologies such as Voice over IP and antennas.

MARS participates in exercises such as Grecian Firebolt (Ft. Meade, MD) to help support military communications. MARS members from all around the world played a role in Grecian Firebolt 2005 by sending exercise Essential Elements of Information (EEI) reports through the MARS radio network. The EEI's consisted of scenario disaster information. When the EEI's were received, they were sorted and sent to Army intelligence centers. MARS plays a large part in reporting up-to-date information on disasters and requesting military assistance using a dispersed and redundant radio network.

MARS also supports government agencies such as FEMA, and participates in programs such as SHAred RESources (SHARES).

The 311th Signal Command is the first major subordinate command of the Army Reserve to move from strategic reserve, which means a traditional reserve unit with the 'one weekend a month, and two weeks a year' requirement for unit membership, to a unit that will serve seven days a week, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. MG Donna Dacier, is the commander of the 311th. They were the lead Signal Command in Grecian Firebolt. I will be visiting with them the week of November 6th. I'll try to get some pics, as allowed.

16. MOTOhooligan

My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    That's awesome. Thanks, wirles.

17. Jonathan Kramer

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 4s
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Great information! Thanks!
    73/W6JLK

18. wirles

wirles I'm baaaaaaaaaack

My Phone:
    iPhone 4S
    Wireless Provider(s):
    All of the above
    I took you for a ham from day 1, my friend. I grew up around the ARRL myself. I can't tell you how many times I went to Dayton as the proud 'harmonic' of K3EEX!!!

19. Jonathan Kramer

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 4s
    Wireless Provider(s):
    A ham from day 1, eh? :wink: Yeah, I got my Novice ticket back in High School in '72, as well as my 3rd Phone. In my HS Senior Year I upgraded to General. I got my 2nd Phone in College, and upgraded to Advanced. Once I started working for Motorola as a field engineer, I upgraded to 1st Phone + Radar, later a General Radiotelephone + Radar. A couple of years ago I upgraded to Extra. I joined the ARRL in 1973, and became a Life Member in the late 70s (when Life Membership cost $180...one of my best investments!).

:)

j

20. MOTOhooligan

My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    1st phone, 2nd phone? Please to explain, Senor Kramer? Your HAM radio geek-speek confuses this humble cell phone geek.

21. Jonathan Kramer

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 4s
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Moto, I didn't mean to ham-geek you! ;)

The FCC's top license (on land, that is) was called the First Class Radiotelephone License. You had to take a bunch of radio theory and radio law tests. Most people think the Second Class license was the hard 'ticket' to get. I tend to agree. The Third Class Radiotelephone license was for D.J.s at small stations who had to take and log transmitter readings.

Some years ago, the FCC combined the 1st Phone and 2nd Phone licenses into the "General Radiotelephone" ticket. It was great for 2nd Class licensees, but sucked for the 1st Phone group. Oh well.

Best,

Jonathan, your friendly "Lawyer/Geek"

P.S. Be glad I didn't throw in any Latin! Res Ipsa that, why don't you! :browani:

22. MOTOhooligan

My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Thanks for the info! After I read your post, I went to my local library's online catalog and looked up a book on HAM radio. I'm going down there to check it out when I have time. HAM radio has always fascinated me since I was a kid and one of my dad's friend had this room full of HAM and shortwave equipment. Also, my dad used to have an old Hallicrafters S 77 A that we used to listen to world broadcasts on.

I think your post may serve as an impetus for more education on the subject... well, I guess it already has. :browani: I'll be sure to send my wife your way when she asks why I've started yet another expensive hobby we can't afford.:lmao:

23. nKrypteD1

My Phone:
    Motorola Droid X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Now that's just classic, I still want to get into HAM as well myself guess I need to dig up a friend of mine who has been involved for years and see what he can do to help me get started.

24. wirles

wirles I'm baaaaaaaaaack

My Phone:
    iPhone 4S
    Wireless Provider(s):
    All of the above
    I got my Novice (No Code) at 15. It has since died as has my ability to spend resources (time/money) on the activity. One day I'll pick it back up. It isn't like I haven't had the 'brain' resources for a General. My dad had an Advanced before he passed. I am not sure which different ones he had all along, but since he had a MSEE and dealt with mostly Defense Telemetry, I am sure it was up there. I believe he was a ham for over 60 years. :eek:

25. TelcomJunkie

TelcomJunkie Bad Handoff Investigator

Wireless Provider(s):
    Big Brother
    I haven't used my ham radio in a long time, I hang out now more on GMRS for some reason.

26. nmt

nmt New Member

My Phone:
    Motorola E815
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW - But not by choice
    The tower was built for the Western Union system. I've seen some of the old tower drawings in some of the sites. They were manufactured in Sioux City, IA in the early '60s. I think (someone correct me if I'm wrong) the towers were made by "Communication Towers Inc". At least the ones I used to work on.

Curt
    www.nmandt.com

27. nmt

nmt New Member

My Phone:
    Motorola E815
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW - But not by choice
  28. radiogreg

radiogreg New Member

that used to be a long-distance microwave tower for the phone companies. Back in the 80's before fiberoptics it had 4 reflector panels at 45 degrees and passed signals from somewhere southwest of that site to somewhere north-east. I used to drive past it frequently years ago, it is a pre-digital, pre-fiberoptic relic from the past. My guess is it formerly was used by AT&T or some other bulk long distance carrier from long ago when microwave was king.

to be honest, I have no idea who owns it or uses/leases space on it now, since the long distance hardware is long gone.

there are some other similar sites of note, on St rd 49 north of US-30 and south of the indiana toll road. There is another one south west of Albion IN, west of St Rd 9 out in the boonies. It is possible that this tower near Pierceton looked at the tower near Albion...

While microwave towers for long distance are disappearing and none being built these days (except for maybe cellular or private networks) some of them are still being maintained as a back-up in case Farmer Brown cuts the fiber cable with his backhoe.... see the tower near the intersection of St Rd 109 and US-30 that belongs to Sprint (Embarq) and is surely no longer used... (i hope).

greg

29. radiogreg

radiogreg New Member

also, to be technically correct, many tower sites are only leased by the actual user. Many cell sites are owned by a company different from the cellular provider. So the actual registered owner may have never reflected the actual user. Like for example if you check cell towers locally to where I live, Centennial Wireless owns none, but use many. Or is the registered owner a subsidiary company of Centennial... who knows or cares...

that pierceton area tower used to be telephone long distance, dunno who is on it now. Surely it is paid-for vertical realestate and space is available for rent.

greg

30. Rollindown95

Rollindown95 Junior Member

so red and white poles mean the towers operate using microwaves, which is different from cell towers right?:confused: